Damn it why do I do this to myself?

Lord Jade Cross

I was at a job fair and I sat down with the interviewer. The positions available werent exactly areas Ive worked in before but they werent all extremely complicated. The interviewer was nice, unlike many others who have attitides and he seemed like he was willing to put me in one of those spaces, and I just froze and every bad experience I ever had before just flooded me at once and I ended up saying that I didnt feel capable to work in of the jobs available, and left

Why the fuck did I say that? Why am I this insecure idiot now? When I first started working, you couldnt pay me to stay put. I would go at every challenge, I would stare down any difficulty. Ive been team lead, Ive been the one people go to because noone else seems to be able to fix things, Ive been the one who does twice the work as anyones and does it efficiently. When did I start turning into this that cant handle the idea of a different type of job and breaks down into an anxiety episode!?

• Like 5
RoseGoesToYale

To be fair, the interview isn't the job itself. A person might be perfect for a job but completely bomb the interview, either because they were nervous or they suck at interviews or whatever (that's why I hate them and think they need to be abolished for many jobs). And doing an interview at a job fair actually makes it worse, because instead of being one-on-one with a recruiter in an office, you're surrounded by tons of people. Even if they're all not paying attention to you, it subconsciously ups the pressure. Plus, you don't really have time to prepare your responses for that specific employer.

If you still want to work there, do you have the interviewer's card? You can shoot him an email apologizing for leaving abruptly, explaining that doing the interview at the job fair really put you on the spot and you do think you'd be qualified and if any of the positions are still available, would he give you a second chance via a one-on-one or phone interview.

• Like 2
Lord Jade Cross

Unfortunately, these are a sort of randomly put together fairs, and more of publicity stunts. Not the first time Ive gone to the area, though they were better organized on this one

No matter how much you wing it or change your schedule, change is hard. Today I was thinking about how I'm starting my fourth semester of college and I'm still terrified. It's normal to be scared of new things, even if you do new things all the time. 

what the face
3 hours ago, Lord Jade Cross said:

every bad experience I ever had before just flooded me at once

I’ve had intuition show up like this -

like alarm bells, an instinctual response to the situation, the job described, the dude, the overall vibe?

maybe not, never can tell for sure with intuitive knowledge.

but  ?

• Like 1
Lord Jade Cross
48 minutes ago, what the face said:

I’ve had intuition show up like this -

like alarm bells, an instinctual response to the situation, the job described, the dude, the overall vibe?

maybe not, never can tell for sure with intuitive knowledge.

but  ?

I thought about this as one of my previous gave me the same sensation when I was applying but I deciddd yo ignore it because I needed a job. Paid for not listening to my intuition as the job took a huge toll on me

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but you sound hard on yourself. In a work context, you do have to be able to perform certain things, but you don't have to be the best at the job or that colleague everyone relies on. Having high demands on yourself can lead to anxiety that manifests itself at the most inappropriate times. Try to shake it off, be kind to yourself, don't work yourself to death and good luck on your next interview!

CincinnatiAsexual

I've worked at the same job basically since graduation (so 13 years now), and I am now very set in my ways. I have reverted into not taking risks and in some cases clinging to dysfunction. So I have definitely regressed in a certain sense. I have marketable and transferrable skills, but I would need to get out of my comfort zone to show up at a job fair. It's tough being vulnerable enough to apply for jobs out there.