Do you still use a physical calculator?

R_1

AVENites and physical calculator  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use a physical calculator?

• All the times
    • Most of the times
    • Sometimes, sometimes not
    • Rarely
    • None of the times
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Nah, I use either one on my phone or computer.

verily-forsooth-egads
2 hours ago, AstrophelDragon said:

...you just have a slide rule lying around in your backpack?

You don't?

• Like 4

The only time I don't is if I'm already online; then I just use google.

• Like 1

If I can’t reach my phone, I just go for my physical calculator (since it’s always on my desk)

I hardly ever use an actual calculator these days. If I am doing something at work or with my computer, I use Excel to work with numbers and do calculations. If I need to do a quick calculation when I am out and about, I will use the calculator function on my smartphone.

9 hours ago, Starry Sky said:

Never. Got rid of that thing once I finished school

I still have my graphic calculator from school. This discussion thread promoted me to pull it out from the drawer to see if it still works, which it does. It is a Casio fx-9700GE. I honestly wouldn’t have a clue how to use it anymore. The instruction manual which I also still have is 14mm thick! I think it was a pretty decent and high spec calculator back when it was new, but I expect new ones now will be much posher and have color screens.

• Like 2

On exams (the rare ones where they are required/allowed) I certainly do, though I also do like to use my TI-84+ on the occassion that I need one at home, too ^^ but then I am studying mathematics at university 😄 well, ok, I do also sometimes use WolframAlpha ^^

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ortac said:

I honestly wouldn’t have a clue how to use it anymore. The instruction manual which I also still have is 14mm thick!

I remember the instruction manual for mine being incredibly daunting like that!! I never actually learned how to use it. My teachers instructions never made sense. So anything beyond the symbols I could copy from the paper, I just did my best manually .-. 

• Like 1

I'm a high schooler

Im required to have a graphing calculator- 

so yes 

every day of my school week I use one

• Like 1

Tbh I probably would sometimes if I knew where mine was. Alas, I do not.

• Like 1

Yes, when I have to calculate something.

But whether you use a hand calculator or a computer or a phone, you still have to use your hands to do the calculation, so it's still "physical"...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Cranston said:

I don't need to do any math that requires a calculator anymore. If I need to add/subtract/multiply/divide, I do it on paper. 

That too. Also, it's the one opportunity I have to practise the long division skill that I learned in highschool. Does anyone school age even know how do it that way anymore? :P 

• Like 1

One of my physical calculators is on loan to my technophobic mother.  The others are . . . around here somewhere.  If I have to do arithmetic that I can't accomplish in my head, I typically issue a Perl one-liner at the command prompt, so "What's 38 lbs in kilos?" ends up looking like "perl -e 'print((38 * 0.465) . "\n")'"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

math class is impossible to survive without one. and even if it's not math class, i find physical to be easier (ive used it already and i know the functions that i need like the back of my hand)

if there's no physical i'll go for my phone's calculator but ive always hated the format of my phone's calculator and it's easier to type on a physical one

AstrophelDragon
On 2/9/2023 at 9:44 AM, A User said:

f there's no physical i'll go for my phone's calculator but ive always hated the format of my phone's calculator and it's easier to type on a physical one

My graphing calculator does rational numbers so whenever i feel lazy i use that. or even if they're not rational, just because then i can see everything laid out and not have to pull out scrap paper

23 hours ago, AstrophelDragon said:

My graphing calculator does rational numbers so whenever i feel lazy i use that. or even if they're not rational, just because then i can see everything laid out and not have to pull out scrap paper

personally i've never worked with non-rational numbers to a big extent but my calculator lays stuff out in a way that satisfies my brain so i use it more often anyways (ex. my phone when doing square root puts a round bracket after the square root sign while my physical one allow me to type it inside the square root)

but for the basic 4 (addition, subtraction, division, multiplication) i use my phone's if it's convenient

My phone's and old flippy so punching numbers on it is much slower than with an old fashioned calculator. Generally though, even though I'm horrible at math, I try doing most of it in my head.

we have to during maths tests but otherwise, google is my friend

• 3 weeks later...

I need a graphical one for my math class, I wouldn't be able to calculate anything without it.

So I use it all the time.

everywhere and nowhere

By the way, today I started my proper training in accounting (yesterday we had an organisatorial meeting), and I did the exercises (calculating depreciation, or how much value do certain assets lose over time) without using the calculator. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Squirrel Combat

I do all my practical math in my head.

Soul Searcher

Rarely. One when I have no other option.

• 10 months later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator