Do you still use a physical calculator?

R_1

AVENites and physical calculator  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use a physical calculator?

• All the times
    • Most of the times
    • Sometimes, sometimes not
    • Rarely
    • None of the times
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

With the advent of phone/computer calculators, some of us aren't using a physical calculator. Hence, this poll.

• Like 3
RoseGoesToYale

I have my dad's Texas Instruments SR-50 that he used when he was in college back in the 70s. Took it apart, cleaned up the buttons, and reconstructed a new battery pack for it. It works, albeit a bit glitchily. Sometimes I use it for fun, but otherwise I just use my computer or phone.

• Like 3

My fancy TI calculator that I got for high school bricked a long time ago, but I still have my cute little solar-powered TI scientific calculator that I used in middle school in the early 90s, and it works great.  I love it! I especially love how my name is still written on the back in my silly fifth grade handwriting.  I don't use it very often, but it still lives in my top desk drawer, and I do pull it out occasionally.

• Like 3

Yes, I have a scientific calculator that I use a lot for for creative worldbuilding projects. I use Excel for all the formulae and such, but sometimes just a quick (but complex) calculation is needed, and so I use the calculator.

I had used the same calculator for over a decade but it no longer functions and I've had to switch to a replacement which I am finding difficult as I am not a fan of change, and it has a fair few differences.

I also have about half a dozen spare scientific calculators, because I used to go to a coffee shop once a week and sit and work on stuff amongst Humans, and ended up buying a new calculator so many times when I forgot mine and needed one.

• Like 3
verily-forsooth-egads

I'm a student, so I need to for exams. Wouldn't otherwise.

I like telling the story of the time freshman year I forgot to bring one but happened to have my slide rule, so I used that. That hasn't happened again but I still keep it on me as backup.

• Like 5

If ever I regularly do calculations, I'll break out the old TI-30XIIS. Until then, my phone works. My graphing calculator is forever dead, though. 

• Like 2

My Casio fx-991 and I have never been closer in the 5 years we've known each other. This actually sounds like a joke but I really do rarely leave the house without it LOL

• Like 2

At work yes. It is quicker than having to open up the calculator app on my phone or computer.

• Like 5

Yes, at school, for tests 'n' stuff.

Yes at work. I have it on my desk and its quicker to use then to open a program, and it doesn't interfere with the windows on my screen.  If I'm doing more than a few simple operations though, I'll use a spreadsheet

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, uhtred said:

Yes at work. I have it on my desk and its quicker to use then to open a program, and it doesn't interfere with the windows on my screen.  If I'm doing more than a few simple operations though, I'll use a spreadsheet

In my case, I do it via coding if it more than few simple operations.

J. van Deijck

No, I don't. I rarely use any calculator at all.

I just started a class which requires a scientific calculator and bans smarter devices for exams, so, I’m buying one for the first time in years.

a little annihilation

occasionally. My phone doesn't come with a calculator app.

Mostly when I have to calculate something more complicated, like things neither Windows calculator nor Google calculate me. Or when I have to calculate a lot of things.

We do have a small calculator on our bookcase that is mostly used by my son when we are adding up scores when we play games. I have rarely used this calculator as I prefer to count up  in my head or on paper/scoresheet. For harder stuff I would use the calculator on my IPad. 

I never used a calculator until I was an adult and I think they usually take longer to use than doing it myself. 

• Like 1
everywhere and nowhere

I have a calculator on my computer and a very simple one on my phone (hint: my mobile is absolutely not a smartphone). Recently I had to do a test in analytic thinking for a job and it included a ban on clicking outside the test area. Too bad, I wish it included an explicit permission to use a computer calculator - I was allowed to use a calculator after all. So I had to use my phone calculator. It's not convenient, it works like this... you enter a number, then you click the... left function key, or how is it called? - and choose a mathematical operation. Then you click it again and choose "Result". The worst thing is that my phone is not working right. Its battery doesn't touch correctly and it keeps saying "Insert SIM card" (which is inserted), sometimes it doesn't accept the charger... I more or less learned how to use it - it needs to be squeezed with fingers when turning it on or inserting the charger - but I'll have to replace it and I really, really don't want to have a smartphone...

• Like 2
marieatsplants

working on a hydrological modelling project and I (weirdly) will use the calculator in a google search bar often more than my actual calculator for simple maths...

• Like 1
notafigmentofurimagination

to be fair, im still in school, and i loooooooooove my graphing calculators, so helpful :)

• Like 1

I still have my old scientific calculator but I think I've only used it once since leaving school, if I'm remembering correctly for some reason I needed to calculate the circumference of a circle and my phone calculator didn't have pi.

Last week a colleague made me smile when I was showing him how to use the formulas I had set up in a shared excel document to calculate a few basic things like percentages and averages, and he insisted on checking excels maths on his calculator.

• Like 1

All the time for my work. And also at home.

I have at least 3 scientific calculators. 

I think I need one of those gun holsters to carry one around at all times, but for a calculator  not a gun

I know the mobile phone has a calculator but I don't think the mobile phone calculator is sufficient for longer calculations

And also if you use the calculator on phone for work, it feels like other people may think you are just internetting or sending a message, and not working.

Edited by iff
  • Like 2

I love a graphic calc and miss the days when some other kid would create a literal video game to play on your TI-84. 

But yeah more practically I use the calc on my phone daily. 

• Like 2

I don't use a standalone calculator anymore, only the apps on my computer.

Having said that, those graphing calculators fascinate me and I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have one.

15 hours ago, verily-forsooth-egads said:

like telling the story of the time freshman year I forgot to bring one but happened to have my slide rule, so I used that.

That must have attracted some confused looks :D 

Purple Red Panda

Sometimes do at work if I'm cashing up as we have a couple in the office, I use my phone the rest of the time.

I haven't used one for absolutely years. TBH I had no idea so many people were enthusiastic about them!

AstrophelDragon
21 hours ago, verily-forsooth-egads said:

but happened to have my slide rule, so I used that

...you just have a slide rule lying around in your backpack?

• Like 1