Definitions of infidelity: does asexuality make a difference?

We have a research request from @morter:

Hi, my name is Molly, and I am a current third-year psychology student at the University of Lincoln. I am carrying out a research study as a part of my dissertation and am hoping you will participate. I am researching into definitions of infidelity and whether the degree to which an individual identifies as asexual may make a difference. To be eligible, you must be 18 years old or over and can be of any gender or sexual orientation. This study will only take 15 minutes to complete. No personal details are asked about you that can be used to identify you and you can stop taking part in the study at any point. Please note: the topic of infidelity may be upsetting to some people. For some people, being asked questions about their level of sexual interest and/or to consider the level of cheating of sexual acts may also be upsetting. If you believe you may be at risk of such distress, you are advised to not take part in this study. The study has been ethically approved by the University of Lincoln ethics committee (Ethics code: 2022_12310). 

Below is a direct link to the survey. If you know anyone else who would like to take part, please feel free to share this with them.

This study was approved by the Project Team.

On behalf of PT,

kelico

• Like 2

This really isn't applicable to ethical non-monogamy. A lot of aces or ace spectrum are in ethical non-monogamy relationships and the questionaire specific to the "is this cheating in your eyes" doesn't take into account those who have multiple consensual partners

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, MermaidRomani said:

This really isn't applicable to ethical non-monogamy. A lot of aces or ace spectrum are in ethical non-monogamy relationships and the questionaire specific to the "is this cheating in your eyes" doesn't take into account those who have multiple consensual partners

I'd think that's maybe the point of the research, including to see how many are ok with poly relationships.  Though not seeing any use of the word does make me wonder.

I think even just being able to find out how many are ok with poly relationships as aces is interesting, but there'd need to be more on that specifically. Personally I'd be interested in knowing how many are genuinely ok with it or just ended up accepting because they couldnt' see any other option and didn't want to break up. I think questions around that would be interesting to then compare some of the numbers with non-asexual people.

Doesn't seem to be in the questions though.

For the sake of this post assume a monogamous relationship. 

One of the things that really made me think during the "cheating perception scales" bit was the intent of the actions. Because spending lots of time alone with X can mean very different things depending on intention. A. This could be a friend and you hang out a lot and enjoy spending time with them. You don't tell your partner because this is a close friend so why would you need to. Versus B. I am spending a lot of time alone with this person and I'm keeping it from my partner intentionally. In these scenarios A results is a definitely not cheating for me whereas B feels more like cheating. 

Maybe the wording is throwing me off or maybe I'm more aro than I thought and this is me not understand actions as explicitly romantic. 

On 1/23/2023 at 11:57 AM, MermaidRomani said:

@morter

So when @morter originally posted a link to this study before it'd been officially approved, before that thread was hidden, I made a post in it. I can't recall exactly what I said. Is there any chance someone on staff could find that post I made and either unhide it and move it here, or simply copy/paste what I wrote?

On 1/23/2023 at 8:57 PM, MermaidRomani said:

Correct. The Sword gave a couple of "3"s in the survey to mean a neutral "completely depends on what the partners agreed on".

Several others were 1s and 2s, though, as in "The Sword wouldn't go anywhere near a relationship where that's considered cheating, because that's a messed up boundary".

• Like 1

This study is now closed. Thank you to everyone that participated!