I have a question.

Questioning_Queer

Questioning_Queer

Why do people create new labels that are the same as ones that already exist? I feel like it shouldn’t be that easy to just create something that plays a very big impact on society. Also different topic why do xenogenders exist? Some of them are just crazy in my opinion.

InBeforeTheLock.gif

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere
35 minutes ago, Questioning_Queer said:

I feel like it shouldn’t be that easy to just create something that plays a very big impact on society.

Does it? I think that a lot of people just ignore gender/romantic/sexual microlabels, and most people don't even know them.

Although yes, I do think that a bit of consideration is prudent. Within a community such as this, using microlabels is generally fine. But I also think that people should be advised more to use descriptions instead of expecting everything to have a microlabel, or - even worse probably - trying to squeeze themselves into a microlabel which doesn't fit them. Everyone should realise that our microlabels are virtually unknown outside our community, and for some people they may increase the sense that GRS minorities are not to be taken seriously. :(

• Like 2

Some people find that an existing label defines how they identify perfectly. Others feel that no pre-existing term exactly matches how they see themselves. These people can, and do, create new microlabels to "fit" their identity as closely as possible. 

Different people might have differing opinions on the usefulness of microlabels, some find them helpful, comforting, fulfilling etc, others might find they make an already complex topic even more confusing.

The main thing,in my opinion, is that everyone should be able to choose their own gender identity. However, given the ever expanding lexicon of gender terminology, it would not be unreasonable that not everyone will understand every microlabel. 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

I don't understand many things, too, but I don't question them either. It is how it is, let people be who they are. If someone feels a certain label is more specific about them than others, why not just let it be? It doesn't hurt anyone, really.

• Like 4

My policy on labels, genders, and other such like is simply "If you want it, it's yours." Identity is very personal and subjective. Maybe existing labels don't quite resonate, maybe they want their gender expression to be highly specific to their tastes. Just respect them and trust that they know themselves best.

• Like 2
On 1/23/2023 at 1:15 AM, Questioning_Queer said:

Also different topic why do xenogenders exist? Some of them are just crazy in my opinion.

for me, I'm xenogender because neither "male" nor "female" nor "something along the line of male or female" fit, and "no gendeR" also doesn't fit. That's it. That's what xenogender is. "other". it's checking off the "something else" box.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2023 at 1:15 AM, Questioning_Queer said:

I feel like it shouldn’t be that easy to just create something that plays a very big impact on society.

wait... what impact? labels are for the people who use them. is society threatened because someone found a way to express their personal experience to others who are in the know? are their family relationships ruined because they know there are people out there like them validating their existence? 

• Like 3
On 1/23/2023 at 12:15 AM, Questioning_Queer said:

Also different topic why do xenogenders exist? Some of them are just crazy in my opinion.

I’m ngl, as someone who identified as xeno-aligned, some xenogenders are very out there and are usually used as a mockery against trans people. Like eddiegender, dreamgender, wednesdaygender, etc. And it’s pretty hard to get over the bad side of the community. However, most people who identify as xenogender use the labels as an alignment like I do, not to say some don’t identify as solely xenogender. But for example, I consider myself agender, while being xenic sort of on the side. I have no gender per se, but I do have a description of what I feel it looks, sounds, and feels like. And also, reclaimed xenogenders were originally used to help neurodivergent people describe their gender experience, but now most xenogenders can be used by anyone regardless of whether they’re ND. 

On 1/23/2023 at 12:15 AM, Questioning_Queer said:

Why do people create new labels that are the same as ones that already exist?

I have also thought it was odd how there is so many micro labels out there that sound incredibly similar to preexisting, more well known, labels. It’s hard not to think that people are doing it for the shock value and attention, but it’s always better to ask that person with the rare label than judge straight away. 😋