Does Estrogen Affect Running

Absentminded

I am a runner for both mid-distance track and cross country, and I am wondering about what the affects of microdosing estrogen are on running. Obviously, decreased testosterone would result in decreased sprinting speed, but I'm not a sprinter.

There's a lot of ways something like this could be done. Taking estrogen without testosterone blockers would have a limited effect, would that maintain running speed since testosterone levels would remain normal? What about taking just testosterone blockers, that'd have more of an effect, but how would it change running? Or there's taking both, but microdosing, what affect would that have?

To be clear, I don't think I'll actually take this either way. Though the thought has crossed my mind several times, even before I joined AVEN, I'm not sure I'm bold enough to do this, or if it's really even what I want. Despite that, I'd still like to know it's affects on running, if only for the theoretical.

Hi @Absentminded

Since you're just wondering then I guess it's just for info though usually first thing to mention is that the best thing to do is talk with a doctor that specializes on this, like an endocrinologist that deals with trans individuals.

Going on E means your muscles will soften and that can mean having to train back more to be able to reach the same endurance you might have had before. But obviously if someone who has E naturally can train up to do it then you should be able to but with a period of adjustment and maybe a bit more exercise to adapt. Lung capacity could get not as good but I think mostly if still young because once it's developed it shouldn't shrink much. But just like other muscles it can still be affected.

Everyone's bodies react differently to whatever degree so you can't really predict everything, it's up to how it changes things for you, but from what I've seen and heard, taking estrogen without blockers can have much less effect because the one that's in greater amount will actually make the lesser decrease. I don't know the details but if microdosing you might not get a lot of effect if no blocker at all, maybe besides a bit of breast growth (though again depends on the person, some people don't get alot of growth if just on estradiol, which is usually what's given). Some things might or might not get more affected depending on how your body takes E.

Doctors would not agree to let you take blockers alone, because without E or T it comes with health risks including to your bones. I would think it would also not be better for what you're looking for.

The best option would be to have a qualified doctor who can find a balance between the blockers and the estrogen and monitor how it affects your body and adjust along the way as you feel if things change in a way you don't like, though I'd say just really train more to compensate ;p.

When I started hrt I did feel that I had a lot less strength and endurance, though also the blockers had quite a bit of effects on me and made me more tired. Since going off the blockers (because I got an operation so that I don't need them), I feel like I could probably match close to how I was before if I were to exercise more than I do. I don't think I lost that much strength overall, but still some for sure.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

Hi @Absentminded

Since you're just wondering then I guess it's just for info though usually first thing to mention is that the best thing to do is talk with a doctor that specializes on this, like an endocrinologist that deals with trans individuals.

Going on E means your muscles will soften and that can mean having to train back more to be able to reach the same endurance you might have had before. But obviously if someone who has E naturally can train up to do it then you should be able to but with a period of adjustment and maybe a bit more exercise to adapt. Lung capacity could get not as good but I think mostly if still young because once it's developed it shouldn't shrink much. But just like other muscles it can still be affected.

Everyone's bodies react differently to whatever degree so you can't really predict everything, it's up to how it changes things for you, but from what I've seen and heard, taking estrogen without blockers can have much less effect because the one that's in greater amount will actually make the lesser decrease. I don't know the details but if microdosing you might not get a lot of effect if no blocker at all, maybe besides a bit of breast growth (though again depends on the person, some people don't get alot of growth if just on estradiol, which is usually what's given). Some things might or might not get more affected depending on how your body takes E.

Doctors would not agree to let you take blockers alone, because without E or T it comes with health risks including to your bones. I would think it would also not be better for what you're looking for.

The best option would be to have a qualified doctor who can find a balance between the blockers and the estrogen and monitor how it affects your body and adjust along the way as you feel if things change in a way you don't like, though I'd say just really train more to compensate ;p.

When I started hrt I did feel that I had a lot less strength and endurance, though also the blockers had quite a bit of effects on me and made me more tired. Since going off the blockers (because I got an operation so that I don't need them), I feel like I could probably match close to how I was before if I were to exercise more than I do. I don't think I lost that much strength overall, but still some for sure.

Thanks. This is helpful. I doubt I'd actually do this, it's just something that crosses my mind occasionally. It'd be pretty much impossible to do something like this without my parents noticing, and even if I could do this discreetly, I'm not sure I would. Still, it's fun to think about.

11 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

To be honest, if I were to do this, what you described here is probably what I'd go for. I'd just want a slightly more feminine shape, and a bit more feminine facial structure, not any dramatic changes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Absentminded said:

Thanks. This is helpful. I doubt I'd actually do this, it's just something that crosses my mind occasionally. It'd be pretty much impossible to do something like this without my parents noticing, and even if I could do this discreetly, I'm not sure I would. Still, it's fun to think about.

To be honest, if I were to do this, what you described here is probably what I'd go for. I'd just want a slightly more feminine shape, and a bit more feminine facial structure, not any dramatic changes.

Yeah it'd be hard for them not to notice especially if the best option is to get a doctor involved and in any case it's always better to get regular blood tests too to make sure the levels are good, along with other things that can get affected. At least to be safe

I do think it's possible to microdose without blockers btw just to mention, but still again it's good to see how the body reacts and check the levels to know how much your body needs, for the amount of effects (or what's more usual)

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

Just my experiences being on E patches and anti-androgens.  No, it has not affected my running speed or endurance for me.  I may need more recovery, more effort due to the increased fat in body and leaning muscles, E itself has not changed my tread mill running, being able to do 5Ks.  Though the last 2 years with catching COVID twice, hat has significantly dropped my capacity to run, or rather anything needing physical effort that I've not recovered from, age and possible development of Asthma is also against me as well.  That though has happened the same time HRT started.  My diet readjustments remain important otherwise on HRT.

• Like 1
nickolekuebler

I have only noticed a very small change in my muscles since I started hrt 5 years ago. I have not noticed any difference with running or walking pace. I am an avid hiker and walker, I also do get a lot of exercise due to what I do for a living. The one thing that I can tell you from experience is that the more exercise that  you get the more blocker you will need, I had this problem that because of the amount I exercise I was always still high testosterone. And this Is a battle that I am still fighting today. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, nickolekuebler said:

I have only noticed a very small change in my muscles since I started hrt 5 years ago. I have not noticed any difference with running or walking pace. I am an avid hiker and walker, I also do get a lot of exercise due to what I do for a living. The one thing that I can tell you from experience is that the more exercise that  you get the more blocker you will need, I had this problem that because of the amount I exercise I was always still high testosterone. And this Is a battle that I am still fighting today. 

Actually, distance running specifically has been proven to have the unique effect of reducing testosterone. That, in addition to needing a smaller frame for more efficiency, is why marathon runners are so skinny. Some studies say that running even a few hours a week will start to reduce testosterone.

• Like 2