R_1

AVENites and attics  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an attic?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes, the door to it is in the ceiling of my bedroom. Only been up there once in the year-and-a-half-ish that I've lived here. (The building isn't actually mine though, it's an old house and I rent the flat on the top floor.)

Not at my current place but last place I lived in did.

Nope. I don’t think any place I’ve ever lived had an attic.

RoseGoesToYale

I have a "flattic", Florida attic or flat attic. I.e. my attic is too flat and difficult to access to be of any storage use, but not so flat that it's only a crawlspace. It's only there for access to the A/C plenum and house wiring.

• Like 1

Yes, but it's never been used by anyone except the raccoons we evicted some years ago.

Sort of, but you'll fall through the floor if you go up there and step anywhere that isn't the beams. It's just used for storage, since boxes can balance on the beams.

• Like 1

No. This is the fourth place I have lived in since getting my own place, all of which have been flats/apartments. My second one did have a loft/attic, but none of the rest have. I am on the ground floor here, and presumably most ground floor flats don't have lofts.

I chose no since I don't think we have an attic, but when I thought about it there is an attic door in the garage ceiling I think, but we don't use it and haven't opened it since moving to this place, but I guess it probably is an attic.

J. van Deijck

Yes, the entrance is upstairs in the ceiling of the hallway. You have to pull the ladder down to get there.

• Like 1

Yeah. Haven’t been up there though. I’ve been in my grandparents’ a few times

• Like 1
verily-forsooth-egads

Other because it's debatable whether you'd call it an attic or not. It's a finished space we alternate between calling "attic" and "upstairs".

• Like 1

Yes. Door is in the landing ceiling, and I use it for storage. On my To Do list this year is getting a loft ladder installed because at the moment I only have a free standing one which terrifies me, and to add more insulation.

Luftschlosseule

The building I live in has an attic, but neither is it only for me to use nor does any part of this building technically belong to me.

In theory, the attic is meant as a place to dry clothes but there is no isolation and the air up there is very humid. I tried it as I moved in here and the laundry never got dry. After two weeks I took the things down and washed them again and I didn't bother since.

Several. It is a big historical building with wings and such, each part has its own attic.

I have 2 attics, although I've been in neither since moving in in August 2019.

• Like 1

I've had the house for 17 years and have never used the attic.

Turned the front bedroom into a storage room, as I'm too old to carry stuff up that pull-down ladder.

• Like 3

My home has vaulted ceilings with no attic.  I wish it had one, because it gets really hot inside during the summer.

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

Nope. I live in an apartment, not a house.

However, my apartment has a whooping whole of three overhead storage spaces because of its untypical shape. The hall in most apartments in more or less square, typically allowing for just one overhead storage space (usually above the entrance door), and my apartment has a narrow L-shaped corridor. So the first storage space (contents: lightbulbs, several cans with stuff such as screws, pegs, furniture accessories - knobs, handles, extra keys...) is over the entrance and two others (contents: 1. ski boots, ice-skates and Christmas tree lights, 2. bags, backpacks, suitcases) are on both ends of the further (from the entrance) part of the hall.

• 2 weeks later...

Some parts of my house have space between the ceiling and the roof, but not like the kind of attic where people store stuff. More of a crawl space. Not that I ever go up to look (because, ladders, too). :P 

My living room has a vaulted ceiling so there isn't even that narrow space there.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator