Would this be minimal gender dysphoria or incongruence?

Im feeling kinda invalid rn. I ID as enby cuz I love being seen as such and get happy when I imagine myself as such and having an androgyne body. Love the gender euphoria feeling.

Yes ik some ppl say u dont need to have dysphoria to be non-cis but it makes me feel like im mocking the trans folks who do experience severe dysphoria by identifying as such. If i have dysphoria its quite mild? Its mainly abt social and bodily dysphoria. It doesnt causes me to feel distress/anxiety/depression/emptional pain. Its more like discomfort,annoyance, cringiness and/or dissociation

Sometimes it causes me to feel unpleasant physical sensations as well in my low abdomen/chest/stomach depending on the circumstances (cuz I may more/less dysphoria depending on the circumstances). 

Ive heard ppl saying the actual meaning of gender dysphoria is feeling distress and anxiety from it, but the discomfort and misalignment is called gender incongruence. But I hardly ever see ppl using the ladder so idk, would these feelings I have qualify as mild gender dysphoria or gender incongruence? Even if its just gender incongruence and not dysphoria, am I still valid as an enby?

• Like 1

Hi @krmnlg

Dysphoria sucks, and I don't wish it on anyone. If you don't have it or a lot, then good, it's not something someone should want. And it's not something that defines being trans or non-binary. And plenty of non-binary feel little to no dysphoria, it's more common like that than in someone transsexual. I experience a lot of dysphoria, and I think that has to do with how strongly my feelings around gender are. For someone non-binary, who might not have strong feelings about gender, it makes sense that there could be less dysphoria, because more just don't care about it. It's slightly generalizing but some agender might have stronger feelings about their non-genderness, and it might bother them more depending on how much it matters to them that they either get treated in a gendered way or their body feels too masculine or feminine. It still depends for each person.

Transness and being non-binary is more of a spectrum, there's lots of different ways to be, so there's going to be different levels of dysphoria.

I try not to let dysphoria get the best of me, and I'd love to be able to accept and be ok with how things are, how my body is or I'm seen, but it's very hard for me so I think it shows me that I really want to be myself in terms of how I feel inside. I didn't used to feel as strongly, but the more I realized things about me, the more I felt what was misaligned (or incongruent).

I don't believe that being trans or non-binary has to bring dysphoria, and I think there's different ways to approach it. For me, I have to acknowledge my feelings around what I know about myself, what's in my heart. I don't have to accept how things are, but it's ok no matter too. I want to be happy regardless, and I'll acknowledge myself too.

For you, just find what's meaningful to you and if you can  be more yourself and look for your own way to be happy, that's great.

• Like 4
Janus the Fox

No matter how mild, it is what you have.  In a psych diagnostic setting ‘dysphoria’ is not a requirement to get the necessary diagnosis of ‘Gender Dysphoric Disorder’ necessary to access hormones in my case.

• Like 1

Yes, your reasoning is sound reasoning. I never heard of gender incongruence, but it totally makes sense for that to exist as a concept. 

identity is very subjective, so it looks different for every person. As to the concern of feeling like you're being inconsiderate to those with "more dysphoria" - we can't really compare pain, and everyone does their best with what they have. It's totally ok to be upset over smaller anxieties and incongruences, even though there are people out there with "more pain" - and honestly, knowing that someone is being true to them selves is in fact validating to me, I wouldn't say I have strong dysporia but it is painful on a daily basis. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm sure most with severe dysphoria would only want you to be honest and true, and not somehow want you to repress what is really there for you. 

• Like 2

I have read plenty of trans people who felt little dysphoria with their assigned gender/bodies, but felt extremely euphoric with the gender they identified as. I'd see it as a positive motivation (euphoria) rather than a negative motivation (dysphoria).

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have an answer, but I have a sorta similar question so I just wanna thank everyone who's posted an answer on here.