How to be Ace by Rebecca Burgess part of 17 books banned by Missouri school district

Source: https://pen.org/press-release/good-news-that-wentzville-school-district-returns-200-temporarily-banned-books-to-shelves-but-pen-america-raises-concern-that-17-removed-books-are-still-inaccessible/

The full list 

The Handmaid’s Tale – The Graphic Novel by Margaret Atwood, Renee Nault (illustrator)

Epileptic by David B.

Pablo: Art Masters Series by Julie Birmant, Clement Oubrerie (illustrator)

Bone Parish: Volume 1 by Cullen Bunn, Jonas Scharf and Alex Guimaraes (illustrators)

Bone Parish: Volume 2 by Cullen Bunn, Jonas Scharf and Alex Guimaraes (illustrators)

Bone Parish: Volume 3 by Cullen Bunn, Jonas Scharf and Alex Guimaraes (illustrators)

How to Be Ace: A Memoir of Growing Up Asexual by Rebecca Burgess

It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health by Robie H. Harris, Michael Emberley (illustrator)

The Cape by Joe Hill and Jason Ciaramella, Zach Howard (illustrator)

Home Body by Rupi Kaur

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe

The Low, Low Woods by Carmen Maria Machado, Dani Strips (illustrator)

Ivy by Sarah Oleksyk

Last Man: the Royal Cup by Bastien Vivès, Michaël Sanlaville, and Balak

Slaughterhouse-Five: The Graphic Novel by Kurt Vonnegut, Ryan North, Albert Monteys (illustrator)

• Like 1

Okay, so I guess right wing conservative Christians find asexuality offensive now...

• Like 1
Just now, thylacine said:

Okay, so I guess right wing conservative Christians find asexuality offensive now...

As someone who was born and raised in the Midwest of the US they find everything that isn't remonstrant of a Norman Rockwell painting offensive 

• Like 7
Fraggle Underdark

In a real way, getting your book banned in places like that means you're doing something right :cake:

• Like 10
Sister Mercurial

Makes absolutely no sense.  Why would any school district think a book about not having sex could corrupt young people?  

• Like 1

Looking at the other books on this list, my guess is that it's because it's (a) a graphic novel that (b) has some content about sex in some way shape or form.

I'm surprised that Fun Home isn't on this list.

Blue eyes white dragon
1 hour ago, thylacine said:

They always have....

• Like 3

This reminds me of when I'd encounter AVEN being blocked from various school computers seemingly on the basis that it had "sex" in its name.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, thylacine said:

As a Christian from Missouri who considers myself “conservative/right” yeah this is trash and I ain’t proud of my state

• Like 4

"To PEN America’s knowledge, none of these books were challenged by parents or other community members, but were removed by school administrators out of fear that they might run afoul of SB 775, which established criminal penalties for providing “explicit sexual material” to students (in the context of a broader bill). The law has broad exceptions for materials of artistic and anthropological significance. Works of literature and educational texts, identified through established, standard material selection processes, may and should remain in schools and school libraries."

Has anybody here read that book "how to be ace"? Of the rest of the books I only know the first on the list. I haven't read it, I had seen the tv series, but I imagine it will have scenes that are considered inappropriate for minors.

But cancel culture bad, amirite?

edit: lol, the tradition of chuds somehow getting triggered by Slaughterhouse-Five lives on 😂

19 hours ago, Sister Mercurial said:

Makes absolutely no sense.  Why would any school district think a book about not having sex could corrupt young people?  

I know, huh... ?

• Like 1
AstrophelDragon

I think my New Years' resolution should be to read some banned books like these. See if they corrupt my impressionable high school mind

Like seriously I have the internet. I could probably find way worse things if I wanted to

• 1 month later...
Next Gen Paladin

Aw great. That's my northern neighbor. Next thing I know Arkansas will say "hold my beer" and do something even crazier. 

The Bible Belt is an interesting place, y'all. And by "interesting" I mean that in many different ways.