What were you assigned at birth? What is your gender identity?

Picklethewickle

What you were assigned at birth?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What were you assigned at birth?

• Female
    • Male
    • prefer not to say
  2. 2. What is your identity?

• Cis-gender female
    • Cis-gender male
    • Genderqueer
    • Bigender
    • Non-binary
    • Agender
    • Androgyne
    • Transgender
    • Pangender
    • Genderfluid
    • Neutrois
    • Demigender
    • other
    • My gender identity isn't listed! How rude of you
    • prefer not to say
    • Xenogender
    • Trans woman/ Transfeminine
    • Trans Man/ Transmasculine
    • I don't have one

This poll is closed to new votes

nickolekuebler
19 minutes ago, Picklethewickle said:

You raise a good point, and I agonized over this a bit. How could I include everyone? How specific could I be before it became a semantics debate? If I said transitioned to female, do specify born male-bodied and completed all surgery and hormone treatments? What about people who haven't completed all surgeries, don't want all forms of treatment, or haven't had treatments yet? What about people born intersex but willingly chose surgery, would any of them want to identify as trans? That's just the specifics of the physical body, what about the range of identity within the term transgender?

I realized there was no way I could express everything clearly, and I would end up leaving out someone by oversight, mistake, or poor word choices. That's what led to the more limited option of "Transgender" and the "My gender identity isn't listed" option.

I do think that it is a wonderful thing that you added in the intersex on there, as I was born intersex and externally resemble male so was raised as such. The only problem that I have with this is for me personally, I have told someone before and the reaction was so bad that I like am embarrassed by it now. The reaction I got was "can I feel? Can I see? Wanna fu$$?' After this reaction I was just so mortified that I hide that part of me so that it doesn't happen again. 

3 minutes ago, nickolekuebler said:

The reaction I got was "can I feel? Can I see? Wanna fu$$?' After this reaction I was just so mortified that I hide that part of me so that it doesn't happen again. 

That's awful! People can be into intersex, if they want, but you don't deserve to be treated like some sort of... exhibit! And they shouldn't expect you to be anymore alright with them saying that to you than anyone else would be! That's just not an okay thing for them to say.

I'm not gonna tell you how to deal with this, but if you're still in contact with this person, you should address what they said in some way, because that's not okay.

• Like 2
Picklethewickle
1 hour ago, nickolekuebler said:

The only problem that I have with this is for me personally, I have told someone before and the reaction was so bad that I like am embarrassed by it now. The reaction I got was "can I feel? Can I see? Wanna fu$$?' After this reaction I was just so mortified that I hide that part of me so that it doesn't happen again. 

That's horrible someone would disrespect you so much!

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Picklethewickle said:

You raise a good point, and I agonized over this a bit. How could I include everyone? How specific could I be before it became a semantics debate? If I said transitioned to female, do specify born male-bodied and completed all surgery and hormone treatments? What about people who haven't completed all surgeries, don't want all forms of treatment, or haven't had treatments yet? What about people born intersex but willingly chose surgery, would any of them want to identify as trans? That's just the specifics of the physical body, what about the range of identity within the term transgender?

Well typically transition isn't factored in someone's identity. Even transsexual isn't based on if someone has. So it's more about whether someone identifies as something other than their assigned birth sex/gender. Just if someone is a trans woman, like me, then there's no way to vote, because there's just the cis options and I don't identify as trans, I just happen to be because of my identity.

• Like 1
Picklethewickle
6 hours ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

Just if someone is a trans woman, like me, then there's no way to vote, because there's just the cis options and I don't identify as trans, I just happen to be because of my identity.

This is the kind of thing I want to learn about in making this poll. What are the best identities I can add to the list so that you can vote if you want?

Do I use terms like trans female or trans woman or transfeminine? Or all of these three options? What about for trans man or trans male or transmasculine? 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Picklethewickle said:

This is the kind of thing I want to learn about in making this poll. What are the best identities I can add to the list so that you can vote if you want?

Do I use terms like trans female or trans woman or transfeminine? Or all of these three options? What about for trans man or trans male or transmasculine? 

Oh ok sure :).

Trans Woman / Transfeminine

Trans Man / Transmasculine

Alternatively there could've been a different way of doing it like just Cisgender and Transgender as well like you do have, and putting Man and Woman on their own, so that someone can be trans woman, trans man, cis man, cis woman, and trans non-binary, etc. It just takes to vote for those combinations. It would probably take a new poll for that one though.

• Like 2
a little annihilation

I'm an afab xenogender leaf

• Like 1
nickolekuebler

I identify as a demiwoman but also as trans feminine. so you did have on there for me to vote as demigender. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was assigned female at birth and spent a lot of my life that way but over time I can to realize that it didn't really fit me so I kinda just slot myself into nonbinary! If pressed I'd say I'm both yet neither male or female.

• Like 1
Picklethewickle
3 hours ago, Slugcat said:

If pressed I'd say I'm both yet neither male or female.

Hey, that's a cool way to put it. I like it.

• Like 1
Absentminded

I've found that there's four (that I know of) definitions of gender. I don't really know if any of them are "better" than the others, so I just use whichever the people around me use. For one, I'm male, for two of them, I'm a demiboy, and for the other, I'm neutral.

For instance, I could tell my parents I'm male, based on their definitions, and then tell a friend I'm neutral, without lying to either, because language is subjective. If my parents ask my gender, they typically mean body, so I'd be honestly answering their question.

As an overarching label, to use for times when I'm unsure of the definitions of people around me, or  for things like surveys or forms, I'd go with genderfluid demiboy. Genderfluid because, even though I myself don't change, how I present does change based on those around me, and demiboy because it both appears the most often and is in between the other two.

I'm intersex, but my birth certificate says female. I usually just describe myself as feminine-aligned, even though that isn't a very accurate description; it's just the closest there is without going into a long explanation that most people don't understand anyway.

• Like 1

Female, and I don't have a gender identity. I don't know what it would be like to feel my gender.

• Like 2
Picklethewickle
2 hours ago, Ceebs said:

Female, and I don't have a gender identity. I don't know what it would be like to feel my gender.

That's an interesting point. I didn't think to add "I don't have one" to the gender identity list.

Picklethewickle
8 hours ago, Nirnroot said:

You know, lately I haven't been so sure. 

That is an awesome, and honest answer. Who says you have to be sure all the time?

Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

I identify as genderfluid and non-binary, but I was assigned male at birth (and to the best of my knowledge am).

• 3 months later...

I’m going to update my answer to cisgender male. I’ve done a lot of searching and know I identify with my assigned gender now. It’s quite nice to have reached this point actually. :)

Male, cis-genderless or cis-by-default or cisgender.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

I'm male and that's all that other people need to know. I don't really stick to gender stereotypes anyway, particularly on a mental level.

• 3 weeks later...
Itsa me a person

Afab, nonbinary: agender specifically

(though sometimes I use the term genderqueer; I’m fine with either one)

• 7 months later...

@Picklethewickle

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator