Highest level of education

Soul Searcher

Highest level of education  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What is your highest level of education?

• Doctorate (PhD) or above
    • Post-Graduate (Master's)
    • Graduate (Bachelor's)
    • High School or below

This poll is closed to new votes

J. van Deijck
On 12/21/2022 at 5:20 AM, E said:

You know, now that I think of it, I'm willing to bet there's good odds that out of frequent Aven users, I've got the lowest on-paper education level out of them all. Highschool dropout, I only ever finished grade nine.

It doesn't determine your value. You have something that many people don't have - the ability to listen to others and giving great advice. It's more importwnt than school papers.

My husband dropped out when he was just 15, I still don't know how he did it since the mandatory education in my country is until the age of 18. But he's really smart and also gives a good advice, he's also a valuable worker in our company because he's a logical thinker and more often than not, his ideas turn out to be the best wnd the most profitable to us. This is what really matters, a school paper doesn't guarantee that.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Baasje said:

It doesn't determine your value. You have something that many people don't have - the ability to listen to others and giving great advice. It's more importwnt than school papers.

My husband dropped out when he was just 15, I still don't know how he did it since the mandatory education in my country is until the age of 18. But he's really smart and also gives a good advice, he's also a valuable worker in our company because he's a logical thinker and more often than not, his ideas turn out to be the best wnd the most profitable to us. This is what really matters, a school paper doesn't guarantee that.

I know. The papers certainly don't matter, but in their own way, they do. Not that I'm going to live a fulfilled life anyways, but if say, for whatever reason I wanted to go beyond where I am, everything is automatically cut off at the door by lack of any papers. Jobs are uncompromising and incompassionate. You may have the qualifications, but no papers? Too bad for you. It's not like it was in older times where if you proved you could hack it you could get the work.

That leaves my source of income forever bottom of the barrel jobs that never pay enough and take too much, or, the alternative, being a self owned business. I don't have the drive or the care to be a business owner since I care so little for money. But I can't brush the reality aside. I live in a world that insists on living with the disease of the mind called currency, and so long as I do, I'm bound to those rules of survival.

No papers means I will always be at the bottom of the barrel, and my capability of surviving is one flat tire away from domino chaining me into the hole. Not that any of this truly matters, as you know what, even if I had all the papers in the world, there would be no job I found adequate or enticing.

It's a me issue, then. I'm not built for this world.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
17 minutes ago, E said:

I know. The papers certainly don't matter, but in their own way, they do. Not that I'm going to live a fulfilled life anyways, but if say, for whatever reason I wanted to go beyond where I am, everything is automatically cut off at the door by lack of any papers. Jobs are uncompromising and incompassionate. You may have the qualifications, but no papers? Too bad for you. It's not like it was in older times where if you proved you could hack it you could get the work.

That leaves my source of income forever bottom of the barrel jobs that never pay enough and take too much, or, the alternative, being a self owned business. I don't have the drive or the care to be a business owner since I care so little for money. But I can't brush the reality aside. I live in a world that insists on living with the disease of the mind called currency, and so long as I do, I'm bound to those rules of survival.

No papers means I will always be at the bottom of the barrel, and my capability of surviving is one flat tire away from domino chaining me into the hole. Not that any of this truly matters, as you know what, even if I had all the papers in the world, there would be no job I found adequate or enticing.

It's a me issue, then. I'm not built for this world.

It's certainly not fair. I've heard lots of stories of skilled people not getting a job because "no papers", and also not qualified people who don't know s... about the job they apply for, being promoted to supervisors or at least team leaders. This is the case of my workplace, thankfully my team leader has 30 years experience with this job so she knows what she's doing, but the other team of qualified electromechanics getting a team leader who has worked with us only half a year at the time of promotion and not even knowing how to hit a nail with the hammer, so none of them actually listens to her orders and they enjoy reminding her how little her knowledge is. We have a percentage of skills in our work system, mine is 75% as a qualified, flexible worker who has more skills than just my certain job (and I'm "just a worker", the 2nd lowest on the ladder), hers is about 15%, only one skill "in training". 

And I don't care which one of us has a paper or not. It's about getting the wrong people on the wrong places and so making bad decisions for the company. I have a friend who has no official education in our job, but he was willing to learn so that he got a certificate from our company and he's one of the longest working people here, and I value and respect him very much.

6 hours ago, Baasje said:

I'm still thinking about it, but previously I've made the same decision. 

I guess it will make more sense if I finish the current degree, and then maybe do Masters in the first one. Currently I have more time, even though I'm coming back to work next year :D

I think it would've been different if education wasn't so expensive here.
I hope all of your plans go smoothly and congrats again on returning to work. ^-^

• Like 3

I have a BA in Graphic Design but stopped working in that industry after hand surgery and want a career in something completely different now. It would be nice to think I can either help people or the planet in whatever I choose. Just so long as the salary doesn't suck like it did in Graphic Design and there's a solid pension plan.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:45 AM, Baasje said:

here it's more university than college, and anyway I don't really know what's the difference between these :ph34r:

Same here. I don't know what an associate degree is either. 

I have a degree and two postgraduate diplomas/masters (and zero debt because not in the US 😁 - land of the free if you have money). I was thinking of doing a PhD but can't be bothered 😄 I'm not THAT interested in research either.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, Acing It said:

Same here. I don't know what an associate degree is either. 

Seems that we Europeans have it different :P but then, the education system in Europe tends to vary from country to country anyway. It's hard to compare sometimes :P

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Acing It said:

associate degree

That's basically a 2 year degree. Usually you get one at a community college (smaller local colleges that teach mostly lower level courses, as well as things like some medical specialties such as radiology technician or some nursing; usually run by some local/state government board). They can also be a stepping stone to a bachelor's degree. For example, I did an AA degree, which also covered many of my lower level general ed courses for when I transferred to the state university. They have an arrangement which makes the transfer easier. And it's cheaper. Community college can also be for people who just want to take courses for personal interest with no intention of getting a degree.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 9:37 PM, Baasje said:

Seems that we Europeans have it different :P but then, the education system in Europe tends to vary from country to country anyway. It's hard to compare sometimes :P

Since the Boulogne agreement, not too much, though. It used to be very, very different. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, Soul Searcher said:

I am a post-graduate with an MBA degree in Marketing. However, I am planning to do a PhD pretty soon. 

What about y'all?

I am working on my PhD!

Dropped out of Uni a bit past the point that would have been equal to a BA in the international system.

To corrobotate what Baasje said, though...

The Sword has no diploma to show for it - back in the 90s, the lowest formally acknowledged degree over here still was the MA; the "halfway exam" (which The Sword had passed) didn't get you jack squat. The upside is, it wasn't much money wasted, and no debt outstanding, as studying is (or at least was) very cheap here compared to overseas.

• Like 1
Olallieberry

I dropped out after freshman year at what was at the time the 3rd most expensive college/university in the country. I didn't fail out, but only because they give someone a probationary period to start doing better before flunking someone out. I knew I wasn't going to do any better.

34 years later I am back in school! At a cheap-ass local community college this time. Pursuing a really wild plan which will take at least 5-6 years at two different schools to complete, I think.

ADHD Life.

I'm ready this time and getting good grades.

• Like 4
marieatsplants

I'm in the first year of my PhD. Currently procrastinating writing my literature review 🤠🤡🤪🤑

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
16 hours ago, Ollie415 said:

34 years later I am back in school! At a cheap-ass local community college this time. Pursuing a really wild plan which will take at least 5-6 years at two different schools to complete, I think.

ADHD Life.

I'm ready this time and getting good grades.

Never too late :D I'm in the process of doing yet another degree, now in hiatus until my health gets better, but I was working and studying at the same time.

• Like 1
Grey-Ace Ventura

High school diploma. I dropped out of college about a year ago because it was just exacerbating my mental illnesses and making me frustrated with myself for not being able to function like a neurotypical person. I'm not sure I could ever finish a degree.

Haven't graduated high school yet but I'm planning on getting that golden diploma in the next 2 yrs

My marks are all good and i'm meeting all the requirements so it's looking good

I'll deal with uni and college when it comes, at least my IEP can come in handy

• Like 1

I have a Master of science in physical chemistry, thermodynamics and metallurgy. 

Currently working in a frozen foods factory and I love my job.

• Like 3

I have an undergraduate, which is a 4 year degree.

I am also working on a program certificate.

My area calls a 2-4 year degree an undergraduate,

a 5 year degree a graduate

and 6+ year degree a doctoral.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a BS in business administration and an MBA with a concentration in accounting. 

• Like 1
On 12/16/2022 at 9:31 PM, Baasje said:

I'm in the process of doing yet another degree, standard Dutch language. Currently on hiatus, though.

I remember your post in the handwriting thread with some Dutch notes. 

I selected Post Graduate, but I'm not really using it in my life...

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
12 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I remember your post in the handwriting thread with some Dutch notes. 

Omg and my ugly handwriting 😱 :lol:

My higher education consists of forcing myself to read Ulysses.  

• Like 2
Old Maid Librarian

One Master of Arts in Anthropology and one Master of Science in Information Science, several years apart.

• Like 3
CincinnatiAsexual

I have an undergraduate degree. While I was still in school, I had dreams of staying in higher education for many years, but as someone else noted, I am not interested in research, and the overwhelming nature of working class life has proved that just holding down a job and taking care of pets, etc. is enough to tire me out!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Sierra Gray

I have "Dr" at the beginning of my name, and D.D.S. at the end.  (4 years of college=Bachelor's in Biology, followed by 4 years of Dental🦷School)

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

It's wild!

Pretty good, actually. I had 2 careers since dropping out, quit them both, and am creating my third, now.

Edited by daveb
  • Like 1
J. van Deijck

I think after getting a degree in the language I might get back to uni and try to get Masters in my first (main) profession. At least my diploma is valid in the whole EU so I was able to work for (and in) other countries as well.

Bachelor of Applied Sciences is little, but at least it was enough to get my beloved job.

• Like 1
fantastic mx. foxglove

I have a bachelor's already and I'm currently planning on getting my mater's in my field and then some kind of certification in music from a smaller school :D

Whenever I'd told someone (or a group of someones) that I don't have a university degree, mainly because I had to start fulltime work at 17, I've been told some variety of "Oh, don't worry, you don't have to feel less worthy than people who do have a degree."  It's always assumed that I DO feel less worthy, which I don't.  However, it would have been more pleasant to be at university than in an office.  :rolleyes:

J. van Deijck
6 hours ago, Sally said:

It's always assumed that I DO feel less worthy, which I don't.

I always wonder why people tend to think so. Sometimes the level of education doesn't indicate one's intelligence. Often people without a degree are way smarter than people with a degree.