Your Office Introvert May Appear ‘Rude,’ but Is Really Not

argar

I don't consider myself an introvert, but I definitely understand some of these points. Everyone needs alone time every now and then, some more than others.

I am definitely an introvert and I can definitely relate to the entire article.

At my old job we were fortunate to have our own offices for the most part. And even though the wall facing the hallway was glass and it had a sliding glass door we could still shut the door to block out external noise if not visual distractions. Except for the one summer when they decided to remodel large portions of the building where I worked and most of us had to work in these big open communal spaces, not even any partitions, for a few months. Some of the more extroverted people loved it. I hated it! What a nightmare. So glad when we were finally able to go back to individual offices.

• Like 3

I think the only way I survive the office right now is because I only actually have to go in twice a week. We don't have assigned desks or very many areas where someone can get away to get work done on their own. It is fairly open, not even like cubicles. So yeah can be a very distracting environment, and despite me and my other coworker telling our manager that we actually do get more done at home, but are fine with being 2 days a week, they still want to start bringing us in more. It is so dumb. Cause I probably will get rude lol, especially with working like 15 hours every day together, ugh, worst. 

• Like 3

I have never worked in an office, but when I am teaching in school environments, I focus on the pupils and don't mix with colleagues, except for a friendly greeting and farewell.  I take time to get to know people, and at staff meetings for teachers who work for my organisation, I am the one who takes a walk outside during breaks to get away from everyone.  I can do small talk now I am older, but have had to learn the art over the years.  I can occasionally make people laugh with a droll remark and seem part of the gang, but I never actually am.  

• Like 1

Thanks @argar, great article.

When I worked in hospital, I'd conserve energy by going on breaks last so I could be alone. Working one to one with a patient was great as well, but although I learned fast to navigate the noisy chaos of a casualty, it was the office work that did my head in.

On leaving the hospital for a couple of years to rest my back, I couldn't get into the chattering culture, so, just kept my head down and got on with to he workload, quickly finding out that I was sticking out like a sore thumb.

So, it was a relief to find work where I could travel alone to it, get the details of it, carry it out, with just my one patient to accompany safely, then travel home.

rainbowocollie

I'm an introvert who most likely has AVPD, sooo yes.