Im not sure if i am asexual?

Murphymurphy

Howdy! I am a straight male in my mid 20s, and have never really enjoyed or felt sexual desire, I was not sure if it was the type of sex I was having for a while, so I kind of forced myself to continue to have sex, and trying new things with partners to see if I was just into something else, and after a few years I grew extremely tired of this and I can't really take it anymore. I do think I have caused myself a lot of trauma because of this. I do enjoy companionship and relationships, but sex, kissing, etc... have always been something I never enjoyed. I am attracted to women but I do not feel sexual desire or anything of the nature. I do enjoy physical contact such as hugging/cuddling though. I never really considered or thought of myself as asexual until an ex girlfriend mentioned the possibility of it to me once I admit these things to myself and had a conversation to her about it, which led to the end of our relationship. I've always been told growing up that asexual people do not like relationships etc... but after doing more research I know what I was told was incorrect. I guess I am not too sure why Im posting this, I feel like I just need some validation/information from people in the community to understand it better so I can define myself. I have been struggling with this for years and I am ready to figure it out and continue on with my life. 

• Like 1
RoseGoesToYale

Welcome to AVEN! Have some cake:

71QcTo95TPL._CR0,0,1414,1414_UX256.jpg

Yep, plenty of asexuals want to be in relationships. Unless they're aromantic, many experience romantic attraction towards others. The main reason a lot of asexuals may not be in a relationship at a given time is because it can make dating more difficult, especially if there's no way to find other asexuals who are in the area. Asexuals can also experience sensual attraction/desire, which encompasses non-sexual physical contact like what you describe.

I'm not sure how common it is exactly, but overcompensating before discovering asexuality is definitely a thing. I know a few people who felt that way, like they had to "perform" sexuality and pretend to like sex, have sex they weren't really into, etc.

We can't tell you what to identify as, but hopefully this helps you figure it out.

• Like 1