Matteo Lane Comedy clip

Eutierria

Recently discovered this comedian. They have a great stage presence & engage well with their audience.

Asexuality is brought up around the 22minute mark (start of that story is around 20min 40secs in) - I cringed...felt like asexuality was made into a joke but they diverted it & made it into a gay joke.

Is there a way they could have kept on the topic of asexuality & made it  funny whilst educating the audience without losing them ? Thoughts ? 

Thought they handled things really well but that one moment of cringe made me think, please do better.  

• Like 1
On 11/28/2022 at 1:48 PM, Eutierria said:

Is there a way they could have kept on the topic of asexuality & made it  funny whilst educating the audience without losing them ? Thoughts ? 

Definitely! I think they could have finished their tangent and then mentioned that not wanting to have sex/identifying as asexual is not repressed homosexuality and that it's a very real and valid sexuality (or lack thereof). I can sympathize, though, being on stage in front of a big audience can be hard and maybe not the best place to think critically about what one is saying. 

On a side note, though, very icky to think that people think it's funny to label others (period, but also) despite having been told their label was otherwise seconds before. And then hearing people laugh and clap to that--anyone else get a sick feeling? I only watched the 22 minute mark, I personally don't find this type of media comedic.

46 minutes ago, ItsPaulo said:

On a side note, though, very icky to think that people think it's funny to label others (period, but also) despite having been told their label was otherwise seconds before. And then hearing people laugh and clap to that--anyone else get a sick feeling?

That was the discomfort that led me to make this post. I couldn't figure out if I was feeling invalidated or erased as an ace. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2022 at 4:55 AM, ItsPaulo said:

On a side note, though, very icky to think that people think it's funny to label others (period, but also) despite having been told their label was otherwise seconds before. And then hearing people laugh and clap to that--anyone else get a sick feeling?

Yeah I remember watching this and being weirded out. And the clapping just making me nervous. I just wanted to look the audience in the eye and go, is that really what you think?

I've been watching his comedy for a couple years.

Obviously people do have sex and Mark the husband isn't handling this in an informed and open way. But I don't know what its like to have been married for so long, and have to figure out your asexuality when its going to make really big difference to somebody else.

It sucks that Matteo Lane knows asexuality is a thing. He hears the label. But unless Mark, whose already could have had a bit of a rough time figuring it out and concerned about what it means for his marriage, is the one who would have to defend asexuality as valid.  The whole point of the joke (and the whole bit, if you watch the ten minutes 10 minutes before) is about how its a problem for Janice. Before her, there are other women who get their relationship problems diagnosed. So I don't know how he would have kept it funny, when the whole context of bringing up Mark being ace was: Janice, what's your relationship problem? Like ItsPaulo said, its damn funny that he didn't see the opportunity to acknowledge other non-heteros, but went straight to the most men are secretly gay joke.

But yeah, I remember watching it thinking, no one is gonna bring up what its like for the husband. Apparently, she should just leave him, no doubt.

• Like 2