A question for women

SabeSparklexoxo
7 minutes ago, Teddy Bear said:

What are things you like about being a woman and things you dislike?

I like my body sometimes and sometimes I don't. 

Main things I'd say are the empowering things we support each other with, the culture around it makes me feel confident.

I dislike the toxic gossip culture though I feel like we could spend time empowering each other rather than bringing each other down.

Tbh I don't think about the fact that I'm a woman much...

I greatly dislike the majority of women's clothing (at least, if it's highly feminine in design), but that's an issue that's easily resolvable by simply not purchasing such items. And I hate periods; I find them fairly disgusting and physically unpleasant. I guess a lot of people might say things like the pressure from other people or society in general to become a mother, or unwanted attention from men... and I can understand why, but honestly personally I've never felt any pressure from anyone else regarding the topic of children, and men don't usually pay much attention to me, perhaps because I don't do much to stand out in any way and actively prefer to be rather plain.

I can't think of anything I really like that's specific to being a woman. I don't feel any particular kinship with other women just because we're all women, so I can't say anything like... I dunno, a sense of 'sisterhood' or something. As I say, I just don't think about it much and nothing makes me feel like one really. I just am one because my physical sex happens to be female and I know I'm not a trans guy, so.

(Spoilered for sexual content)

Multiple orgasms are nice, so there's that I guess. 😂

• Like 3

Women's clothes are prettier and more diverse than men's, which is great, but generally have either tiny pockets or no pockets at all which is rubbish.

It annoys me that the hairdresser charges me twice as much for a haircut than they would if I was a man.

Periods are awful.

• Like 2
Sister Mercurial

Like: Hair (which I wouldn't have by now if I was my father's son) and to some extent, having large breasts, because they stick out further than my belly so people don't look at it as much.  

Dislike: Pretty much every stereotype associated with being female.  The things we're expected to like, the things we're expected to do, the ways we're judged that men aren't judged on, the way wrongdoers from trolls to violent criminals disproportionately target us, even the way career advice for women says to "stop being like men" and use "womanly qualities" I largely don't have.  Oh, and yes, periods are a nuisance, but according to menopausal friends, so is not having them.  

• Like 1
The French Unicorn

I don't think about being a woman so hard to tell what I like or don't like (except maybe, if we speak of assigned at birth things, suffering during periods... I don't mind periods in itself but why do they hurt so much ?). I like being a woman I guess but hard to say why, I just can't picture myself any other way.

But if I think about it, I would say :

-more freedom in clothing than guys

-heels. I don't often wear it cause it hurts but they are so pretty

-not being pressured to "be a man" by doing all the things toxic masculinity want you to do (not that I would do it, but I would feel the pressure)

-if we speak of people assigned female at birth things,  (TW genitals)

Spoiler

not having a penis; seriously, it always seemed very uncomfortable to me to sit or walk with that thing between the legs. I suppose men would disagree.

5 hours ago, Teddy Bear said:

I like that it's socially acceptable for me to wear colour on my lips and eyelids and a long one-piece of fabric that goes down to my ankles.

I like that I can give birth and support new life if I choose.

I don't like that my natural body and its functions are stigmatised.

I don't like being objectified by society.

5 hours ago, Another Sky said:

What I don’t like is being criticized for not wearing makeup.

My young student ask me if I am woman. I say yes and they reply as -then where is your makeup?- As if it were part of my body, my certificate of being  woman. Students taught so young by society what it means to be a woman.

• Like 3
SabeSparklexoxo
52 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

I like that it's socially acceptable for me to wear colour on my lips and eyelids and a long one-piece of fabric that goes down to my ankles.

I like that I can give birth and support new life if I choose.

I don't like that my natural body and its functions are stigmatised.

I don't like being objectified by society.

Same I hate being objectified its so demeaning sometimes 

The French Unicorn
9 hours ago, GingerRose said:

My young student ask me if I am woman. I say yes and they reply as -then where is your makeup?- As if it were part of my body, my certificate of being  woman. Students taught so young by society what it means to be a woman.

Oh yeah. Once a grown adult told me I must not be a woman cause I can't bear make up on my face. I suppose it was because this was one of the reason he doesn't ID as a woman anymore, but still.

Like: that it's socially acceptable to be interested in romance. I'm a hopeless romantic and glad society doesn't think I'm a wuss. (it's horribly unfair that gender stereotypes still thrive). 

That I can like plushies and I can squee over cute animals without being ridiculed. 

(these things aren't specifically about being a woman, just about society's views). 

Dislikes: clothes designed for women. As a tomboy I find most clothes too feminine for my taste and the sizes are not universal - each shop, each specific item varies, I can't just rely on a size 14-16 actually being accurate. And formal/dressed up clothes for women mostly consist of dresses and heels. (I loved when Evan Rachel Wood turned up to a premier in a waistcoat and trousers). 

That society at large has pressured me into feeling bad about my body hair. 

That I may be considered lazy for not wearing makeup. 

Periods and their associated symptoms that can occur for 2 weeks out of every month. Life would be easier without periods. 

I honestly don't think about the fact that I'm a woman all that much...

But what I like is I guess the freedom in the way I can dress and the diversity in clothing (although I second that pockets suck 😆). I don't necessarily feel connected to other women just because they're also women. And I really hate that people automatically assume that I want children in the future. 

• Like 2

There's not much I like about it. I guess some aspects of my personality coincide with stereotypes about women and so I'm less likely to be judged for them? Ex. I don't like to fist fight and have never been in one. Will certainly try to avoid one. I like shopping, wearing makeup, painting my nails, wearing skirts and dresses. All stuff that society expects. This is unfair to women who can't identify with those traits/interests, though.

I pretty much hate the rest--the bleeding, the messed-up genitalia, being talked down to, men assuming I'm stupid based on appearance alone, feeling vulnerable exercising outside at night, etc.

I see being a woman as an integral part of who I am, but if I had a choice going in, with the knowledge I have now, I figure I would've chosen to be a cis man.

39 minutes ago, bare_trees said:

being talked down to, men assuming I'm stupid based on appearance alone, feeling vulnerable exercising outside at night, etc.

Yep. Nothing much has changed in my 60 plus years. It's just gone underground and not so obvious as in ' the old days '.

• Like 1

I don't think about being a female tbh. I have to think about this answer hard.

Likes: I can get away with a lot more than men, ppl go easier on me or are softer. At work or school I'm not called on or expected to do hard labour. I can get into certain restaurants and clubs for free, I can find things cute and nobody judges me, I am not judged for liking makeup. Women's clothing and perfume scents are more diverse.

Dislikes: Periods, people who think a women's life revolves around kids and marriage, dealing with women who think sexual harassment is normal + acceptable & that I'm celebrated for not taking disrespect from het dudes but I must accept it with other groups or I am problematic.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2022 at 3:34 PM, Teddy Bear said:

Dislike: 

- Pink Tax 

- Science / Medicine behind on female bodies 

- Glass ceiling 

- People who assume you're trying to 'attract' a partner or "out on the pull" when you choose to wear make-up

- Men who think they have a right to you / your body 

- Different clothing sizes in different shops 

- People who expect free labour from you because girls/women are meant to be 'nice'

- Not safe to walk alone at night or even during daylight in some areas 

- Not safe to travel alone 

- Being kind & being seen as a walkover, being assertive & being seen as 'unladylike'

Like: 

- Intelligence

- Empathy 

- Social skills 

- Resourcefulness 

- Quiet exits when people don't realise you're more observant than they realised 

- Being underestimated & having opportunity to teach a life lesson 

- Strength & tenacity 

- Supportive

- Handle a situation single-handed if needed 

- Leading global progress

On 11/28/2022 at 5:37 PM, Another Sky said:

What I don’t like is being criticized for not wearing makeup.

Me too, it's the worst thing. When I was 15 my friends would often say "When will you finally start to wear make-up?" and I hated that. Uh, being a human female doesn't mean I have to do this, when I don't like it. Well, 5 years passed and I still never wear make-up lol. Luckily now I have different friends who don't talk about it.

Unlike many women here I don't mind periods (I never have period pains or PMS) however I'm sometimes annoyed by my breasts instead. I mean I'm 20 and they're still growing, so from time to time I need to buy new bigger bras, but fitting ones are so hard to find especially because I hate the ones with wires in them. My breasts also hurt sometimes, especially right before my period

Also I agree with everything @Libellule wrote

Dislike:

Having breasts

Menstrual Cycles

Possibility of ovarian, uteran, or cervical cancer

having to get mammograms

Being expected to have children

Being expected to wear makeup

Shoes not being large enough most of the time

Expected to wear dresses/skirts to fancy occasions

Expected to play with stereotypical "girl" toys

Not feeling as safe when out and about