• Acquaintance
    • Pen-pal/Internet Buddy
    • Boy/Girlfriend/Lover/Significant Other
    • Work Associate
    • This site was the first I've mentioned it

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...
XTriformisX

Oops, I didn't see the "this site is the first time I've mentioned it" option. It would be that. Ah well, I chose the second - my mom.

the Lady Ashuko

I've been pretty open with people in general for a few years about not being interested in sex, but it never occurred to me that it was an actual orientation! The first person I told in those terms (because it somehow feels different) was my best friend. Asexual biromantic XD She believed me, since she's known for over a year without a "word" but she does seem to think that if I start masturbating then I might change my mind! :lol:

The internet is a wonderful thing. ;)

I found this site, and, about an hour later, had posted up a blog with my *epiphany* in it, so excited was I, on MySpace. So, all my friends had free reign in reading it. Mustn't have found it very difficult to handle, though, since no one responded, and I had to force a response out of one of my better friends.

Since then, I'll pretty much mention it casually to anyone. I haven't done anything about my parents yet, though. But they haven't expressed any concern yet, so I'm fine. I think my dad's caught sight of the website over my shoulder, though he hasn't mentioned it.

-Katie

• 3 months later...

I told one of my best friends, but it just seems like kind of a non-issue for me, rather than a big, scary/important proclamation.

Oh, and it was basically:

Me: So, I think I'm asexual.

Her: That's cool.

The first person I told was my professor for Intro to LGBT studies... like two months ago. I see it as a kind of a test run, just to see how it'd feel to have someone know, and honestly? It probably wouldn't have made much of a difference had I not told her, which just reinforces my belief that my asexuality is more of a non-issue than anything.

Still, I can tell the parents are kind of wondering when/if I'll start bringing home boy/girlfriends, and I'm fairly sure that sooner or later I'll have to come out to them.

My best friend was the first "official" out, though everyone joked about my lack of interest in sex forever so it wasn't much of a shock.

Sister Nightfall

First place to tell was here. (or tell and tell, I don't think I have ever written an introduction, but I'm sure I have mentioned it at some point)

Second place was at a party where I told it to a stranger to fend him and his annoying questions of. Well an acquaintance/friend of mine was at the party and so now he knows. I don't really think I'm going to tell anybody in my family, it seems unnecessary as nobody is asking me about boyfriends or some such.

• 4 months later...

I told a partner of mine. She was almost nonlibidinal herself. We only tried having sex maybe five times in five years. I think it was a case of her thinking she had a duty to do it, and me thinking I had a duty to try as well! When I mentioned it she didn't bother me any more about having sex. We kept going out for a long time after that -so clearly sex was very low on her priorities. Maybe she was/is greysexual?...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really interesting poll, do you see how the father are left out ?

Friend for me, because he talks about it all the time. (Hasn't changed a bit though... I don't mind anymore)

The first I mentioned my asexuality was on this site, but the first person I told in real life was my twin. Then I told my boyfriend as we broke up in an attempt to make him feel less hurt. I think it helped improve our long term relationship. He was shocked at first, but at least he understood why I was breaking up with him.

Oh, and my therapist, although I'm not entirely sure she believes me about being asexual.

I had this happen as well. The first person I told with any kind of seriousness was my (now former) therapist. She told me that she didn't want me to shut out possibilities and that, by saying I was asexual, that's what I was doing. If I had said that I was straight, would that make me "shut out possibilties?" Probably not.

Also, she told me that she couldn't relate because she's not asexual and she had never had a client who thought they were asexual. I even handed her stuff from this site, but I'm not sure it really mattered. :mad: Thankfully, I've quit therapy, and I'm now happier than I've been in a long time.

Jillianimal

My mom, though I think some of my friends knew before her since we're on a forum & I obviously had asexual down for the sexuality label.

Archived