Survey: Terminology in the AVEN Community

Hello members of AVEN!

This survey is about your opinions on terminology within the community here on AVEN. It seeks to get a clear overview of which terms are generally accepted and which are not, and will try to establish when it is appropriate to use which terms. The results will be part of my bachelor's thesis.

The only requirement for participation is to be age 18 or older. (This is purely for ethical reasons, no 18+ content will be in the survey.)

The survey can be found here.

This survey will stay open until at least December 19. This topic will be updated when it is closed.

19 Dec: This survey is now closed. A massive thank you to everyone who filled it in!

• Like 4

I filled it out, I agree the wording was a bit confusing but can't think of a way to make it clearer.

I didn't find any terms offensive, but I think "anti sexual" sounds like you're morally against having sex. I think celibate and abstinent fit allosexual people who are abstaining from sex better than asexual people, but that's just my opinion.

In general, I think any of terms would be fine to use in the workplace, but at my workplace (construction) I wouldn't expect anyone to understand them. 

• Like 2

I think it was an interesting survey -- although I had to keep referring to the statement presented as I chose between all the possibilities. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, alto said:

the wording of this is a bit confusing

If you remember any specific part, do let me know. i will try to see if I can fix anything, or at least factor it into the analysis. Either way, thanks for filling it in!

19 hours ago, Sally said:

I had to keep referring to the statement presented as I chose between all the possibilities. 

Hi! Sorry about this. Those questions are supposed to be tables with the statement clearly above it, but on mobile it's a nightmare to navigate that, and the term lists are indeed a little long. Thank you for bearing with it anyway!

19 hours ago, Sam Spade said:

I didn't find any terms offensive

I'm glad! The survey really wasn't meant to be offensive in any way of course, I just know some word associations aren't well-liked.

Personally an option of "I haven't heard of this term" would have been useful. I used the "Neither agree or disagree" for that, which may have been the intent. 

• Like 2
Alienated Asexual

I like the idea of this survey, but I am confused as to what is meant by e.g. which terms are considered offensive in relation to e.g. the asexual spectrum. 

For example, I think that demisexuality and asexuality and grey-asexuality are all part of the broader "asexual spectrum."  However, I'm uncomfortable with the use of "asexual" itself to refer TO the whole asexual spectrum ITSELF, because of the potential to muddy the waters between "asexual the orientation/identity/subset" and "asexual the wider spectrum of identities."

Likewise, demisexual and grey-asexual wouldn't be appropriate terms to refer to the whole asexual spectrum, but they are PART of the asexual spectrum itself, and I'd have no problem with people using those terms when talking about the asexual spectrum as a whole.

So in terms of the question about what terms are offensive in relation to the asexual spectrum, I'm not sure how I would answer for: asexual, demisexual, grey-asexual, ace, or precisely what kind of information is being sought there.  It'd seem strange to say I'm offended by the use of asexual but not grey-asexual and demi, as none of the terms refer to the whole spectrum, and yet all are of a part of it.  

• Like 3
On 11/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, AbeeC said:

Personally an option of "I haven't heard of this term" would have been useful. I used the "Neither agree or disagree" for that, which may have been the intent.

Hello! Choosing the "neither agree nor disagree" was indeed the best option in that case, thank you for making that choice. I have added some instructions to the survey, for the participants that fill in the survey from this point on. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!

On 11/29/2022 at 6:41 AM, Alienated Asexual said:

So in terms of the question about what terms are offensive in relation to the asexual spectrum, I'm not sure how I would answer for: asexual, demisexual, grey-asexual, ace, or precisely what kind of information is being sought there.

Hi! I fully understand your confusion. As the writer of these questions my intent is of course very clear and logical to me, but I realise this is not the case for someone who reads this survey for the first time.

I think I should have split these terms up under different statements: one for the terms that could refer to the spectrum as a whole, and one for the labels that are part of the community (like demisexual and aegosexual). For the terms that could refer to the whole spectrum you were indeed meant to judge whether they should be used to do exactly that. For the smaller labels, it is a mere case of finding the term offensive in general, within their own contexts in the spectrum.

It is too late to change this within the current study, but I will make sure to factor the abiguity of these questions into the final analysis, the limitations, and the future research suggestions. Thank you so much for your feedback!

• Like 1