Suggestions for flattening/minimising a small chest?

Shadowbird

For like a 30-32" chest and few inches smaller ribcage, what are some good options for flattening or minimising the breasts?

Current preferences:

-A scoop-neckline or tank top cut (the issue with the racerback style is how close they usually are to the neck and show more easily under t-shirts, so scoop or tank necklines would at least be better concealed under the shirts).

-Flatter seams (like of the straps) would also help with being less visible under tops, whereas thick seams tend to show.

-Relatively smooth; no textures.

-Longer than a typical sports bra, but shorter than a tank top -- perhaps like a "crop" top? It should at least be shorter than the waistline, given a natural narrow waist, hence wanting to avoid the top from gathering at the narrowest area.

-Low armpit cuts, since higher ones can be uncomfortable (often having the habit to occasionally pull down on the under-top to move the fabric away from the armpits).

Some thoughts: Cotton has usually been the most comfortable option for clothing, but discovered most compressing types of tops are made of synthetic fabrics (not accustomed to wearing). Tried at least one polyester type of compression sports bra and it was sort of tight and had thick seams and band. Tried a few ~95% cotton with spandex ones and those were favoured, albeit one has its fabric closer to the armpit that caused the pulling-down habit (it's also racerback) -- the current go-to piece is one that has tank top style straps and a lower armpit cut, but it hardly compresses (it's a basic "essentials" piece with low support, double-layered cotton-blend fabric, for casual/comfort wear). It's relatively okay under t-shirts, since the shirts are more straight/boxy and not fitted, so the actual form isn't entirely showing, but generally without anything worn over the bra, the breasts are still clearly visible in shape. For reference, it is the Tomboyx Essentials Soft Bra.

Not sure if there's potentially a piece that can be made of cotton and actually compress, or if it's only synthetic ones that do so.

Also, if any standard kind of compression bra/top weren't an option, are there safe, alternative/non-conventional ways to flatten/minimise a 30-32" chest without too much layering (due to the discomfort of excessive heat)?

AstrophelDragon

Idk if this helps because it kind of involves layering, but what I do when I need to is take the pads out of two sports bras, put one on normally, one on backwards, tank top over that, and then a looser shirt on top (Normally I do this but skip the backwards one (finding a bra that's thick enough without the pads in for this was amazing), just when my dysphoria is bad I do both). But idk, you kind of just have to find what works for you I think

My chest is quite small so I just wear a crop top like this:

main]

(The fabric's quite thick and textured, if you zoom in you'll see that it's ribbed, I got all of mine from H&M)

And layers over it (very much helped by the fact that the cold here justifies layers, like one can't go out without 4 shirts on, and the fact that my personal style justified me going as Jesse Pinkman for Halloween while having to buy almost no new clothes), and by the end, bam, virtually no breasts and maximum comfort!

EDIT: The more layers help but aren't too necessary, I think this can also be pulled off even with an oversized T-shirt, it's how I was dressing over the summer!

This won't work for everyone, but it does work for me (hooray because I'm a uni student and I have like zero money to spend on binders or compression underwear)

• Like 1

@Life Of Tass Is the ribbing particularly beneficial for the minimising effect/would smooth-textured, heavyweight crop tops work as well or have a different effect? I'm wondering if either option would also function similarly to a basic cotton pullover. The fabric thickness isn't too warm for hot days?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Shadowbird said:

Is the ribbing particularly beneficial for the minimising effect/would smooth-textured, heavyweight crop tops work as well or have a different effect?

I've found that the ribbing makes the texture of the chest uniform, something I'm personally very partial to, because if I try using a smooth textured crop top, the nipples show through and I'm not personally comfortable with that at all. If that's not a problem for you, a smooth crop top would have the same minimizing effect!

10 hours ago, Shadowbird said:

The fabric thickness isn't too warm for hot days?

Oh not at all, I survived summer in the Mediterranean with tshirts over that crop top!

5 hours ago, Life Of Tass said:

I've found that the ribbing makes the texture of the chest uniform, something I'm personally very partial to, because if I try using a smooth textured crop top, the nipples show through and I'm not personally comfortable with that at all. If that's not a problem for you, a smooth crop top would have the same minimizing effect!

Oh, I see. And it seems that thickness helps. Do you know of any ways to find thick/heavyweight tops like this (especially online where it's not possible to feel them/try them on)? It seems like most clothing articles nowadays are thinner than they used to be (probably due to reducing costs to produce them), unfortunately, and I've encountered this issue often. From some images, I'm seeing many ribbed tops being thin and not compressing anything.

@Shadowbird I got mine from H&M basics, it cost me very little, and yeah on its own it won't really compress anything (and the pictures tend towards emphasis, as they are marketed to people who want to emphasize their curves), but if you wear it under a wide shirt or hoodie, it hides the chest well enough! I'm wearing mine under a hoodie rn, and I'm almost as flat as I would have been if I had a naturally flat chest.

@Life Of Tass Okay. I will keep in mind this option, if I can find any with certain specifics. Sounds like ribbed texture and thickness, especially, are good components for a potential fitted underlayer.

• Like 1