They finally re-issued this model kit

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

Well, sort of. If you wanted a long-discontinued model of the Sally, you had to go to Ebay and hope. The cheapest it listed was 60 bucks.

But a Ukrainian company, ICM, apparently bought the molds from Revell, cleaned them up, and started making the kit again. Unfortunately this kit goes for $55, proof that higher oil prices don’t just affect what we pay for gas and diesel.

https://squadron.com/1-48-icm-ki-21-ib-sally-japanese-heavy-bomber-preorder/

The Sally is the only WW2 Japanese plane of which I never had a model, but due to increased prices, I won’t be buying any model kits for a while.

• Like 1
Siimo van der fietspad

Great news!

However, for the princely sum of $1, you could download either this https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-100-mitsubishi-ki-21-ii-sally-paper-model or this https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-100-bruno-3064-mitsubishi-ki-21-iia-paper-model or this Thai version https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-100-mitsubishi-ki-21-type-97-sally-royal-thailand-air-force-paper-model, rescale to whatever you would like (might have to layout the parts differently) and then scratchbuild the interior and canopies and add more detailed landing gear if desired. You could also import the pdf and repaint it or paint the model when assembled. And the result will be quite close to plastic for a fraction of the cost and in my opinion quite a lot more creative stimulation.

Plastic kits have got silly expensive in recent decades. When I was a kid you could get a basic Airfix WW2 fighter for about £5 and even the bigger ones like the bombers were no more than £30.

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

By the way, about model kits and Ukraine: I'd love to get a Mriya model. There were long plans to build a second Mriya, now priority has been given to rebuilding it, and since plans for a second Mriya foresaw a typical tail - I'm afraid that Mriya might be rebuilt with a standard tail as she (obviously "she", it's a feminine noun in Ukrainian) doesn't need to carry Buran anymore. And her double tail was beautiful, it offset her huge fuselage and made the whole look more harmonious.

By the way, folks, please tell me: how is it that model kits are reissued and Unicef won't ever reissue its jigsaw puzzles? I absolutely love them, in fact they have so much influenced my taste that I find more typical jigsaw puzzles - with animals, art reproductions of realistic (photographic) sceneries sompletely uninteresting. They lack that even spiritual quality I feel in Unicef puzzles:

46508072_1117103061785948_80521980293414

I have four of these boxes: 1st and 2nd in second row (since approximately 1985), 7th in second row (since approximately 2008, bought online) and 4th in third row (since approximately 1996). (And I still haven't lost a single piece, even despite having twice solved them (2-II and 4-III) under the influence of magic mushrooms.) Now these puzzles often get expensive and hunting for them online is unreliable anyway - one can never foresee when will they be offered.

In fact, I have written to Unicef-associated entities several times over the years and received no response at all. Any advice? I so much want to have more of these puzzles (particularly 3-II, 5-II, 6-II, 5-III) and I can't... 😩

Siimo van der fietspad

About Mriya: You can buy a metal kit model that will help fund the rebuild project (although Antonov say they will make Russia pay). There is a guy designing/building a paper version on my hobby forum right now in 1/200 and it's huge. He posted a photo with a Short Stirling in the same scale, not exactly a small aircraft, and it's a fraction of the size. The main issue is how to display, since the nose and ramp are functional and cargo can be loaded, but really most of us would have little choice but to suspend it from a ceiling.

I think another reason for the twin tails is that it provides the neccesary side area for the vertical stabilisers in the most efficient footprint. A single tail would be very tall on an already huge fuselage eand the rudder require a lot of power to move compared with two smaller ones.

3 hours ago, Ceebs said:

Tagging @Sally.

for-reasons-the-black-hokage.gif

Jeez, there are other people who do model kits.  AVEN truly is the whole world.