FIFA World Cup 2022 Thread

JimmyJazz

I figure it's time we start a thread on this even though we are a few days into the tournament. I'll have a megapost here with all the results and upcoming fixtures.

Reserved for results and will probably be filled in until I cannot be arsed.

Sunday 20th November

Group A : Qatar 0-2 Ecuador

Monday 21st November

Group A : Senegal 0-2 Netherlands

Group B : England 6-2 Iran

Group B : USA 1-1 Wales

Tuesday 22nd November

Group C : Argentina 1-2 Saudi Arabia

Group C Mexico 0-0 Poland

Group D Denmark 0-0 Tunisia

Group D : France 4-1 Australia 

Wednesday 23rd November

Group E : Germany 1-2 Japan

Group E : Spain 7-0 Costa Rica

Group F : Morocco 0-0 Croatia

Group F : Belgium 1-0 Canada

Thursday 24th November

Group G : Switzerland v Cameroon (10:00am GMT)

Group G : Brazil v Serbia (7:00pm GMT)

Group H : Uruguay v South Korea (1:00pm GMT)

Group H : Portugal v Ghana (4:00pm GMT)

I wonder why there was no thread before 🤔

This shit should just be…declared non-canon or something, it doesn't feel like a real World Cup.

14 hours ago, Still said:

This shit should just be…declared non-canon or something, it doesn't feel like a real World Cup.

We have a soccer thread here somewhere but it doesn't really get updated. When it did, it was mostly just me, Piotrek and Homer shooting the breeze haha. But I thought it might be better to put it all in one thread instead of all over the forum. We'll see. I rather get the impression a number of people are less interested in the tournament for a myriad of different reasons.

41 minutes ago, JimmyJazz said:

I rather get the impression a number of people are less interested in the tournament for a myriad of different reasons.

I for one can't stand football and hope England get knocked out as soon as possible so the fuss will go away. But all the hypocrisy and human rights issues surrounding this world Cup make it even easier to dislike than usual. I kinda think it might have been good if no-one had bought tickets or turned up to matches. Empty stadiums and no money would have hit fifa, nothing else will. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJazz said:

We have a soccer thread here somewhere but it doesn't really get updated. When it did, it was mostly just me, Piotrek and Homer shooting the breeze haha. But I thought it might be better to put it all in one thread instead of all over the forum. We'll see. I rather get the impression a number of people are less interested in the tournament for a myriad of different reasons.

I was being sarcastic, I know there's a thread for (actual) football and there was one for Euro 2021 was well. This tournament just seems like it's had the least interest out of any World Cup in my lifetime. Even if people are hyped for it, the timing is terrible: in the summer people have vacations and things are generally more relaxed, but at this time of the year watching the Blood Cup in the middle of a weekday is not going to happen for most.

Also, every match I've glanced at has had like 15 minutes of added time for some stupid reason. Maybe FIFA saw that banner by German fans about the ratio between minutes of football and migrant workers killed and decided to improve their numbers.

20 hours ago, Still said:

I thought about starting the World Cup thread but I couldn't make my mind how to frame it and where to post it seeing all the controversies surrounding the tournament.

6 hours ago, JimmyJazz said:

We have a soccer thread here somewhere but it doesn't really get updated. When it did, it was mostly just me, Piotrek and Homer shooting the breeze haha.

Yup, sadly the thread is dead and buried now :( 

I have usually watched 1 match a day so far. It's only matchday 1 in each group so you can't really draw any conclusions, but so far I'd say most of the teams from Africa and Asia are doing better than expected (or maybe just collectively decided "enough underperforming" for once). That's good :D The more competition the better.

3 hours ago, Still said:

Also, every match I've glanced at has had like 15 minutes of added time for some stupid reason. Maybe FIFA saw that banner by German fans about the ratio between minutes of football and migrant workers killed and decided to improve their numbers.

Seeing as there are so many stoppages in many of the games, I find it completely justifiable.

5 hours ago, Black-purple-grey said:

I for one can't stand football and hope England get knocked out as soon as possible so the fuss will go away.

If England's result v Iran is anything to go by, you may have to wait for quite a bit.

Siimo van der fietspad

England might yet lose Kane but they will be unlucky not to make the final four on current form. Iran were not lame ducks and showed plenty of danger in attack as well as the ability to sit deep and frustrate; I expect them to get something out of Wales and the US even if they don't progress.

Saudi Arabia have a history of being there just to make up the numbers and until yesterday had scored less than one goal per tournament average. They looked much more entertaining and deserved the shock win over Argentina.

It does all feel a bit odd seeing deserts and 27° temperatures on the telly when it's 7° and cold rain outside.

5 hours ago, Black-purple-grey said:

I kinda think it might have been good if no-one had bought tickets or turned up to matches. Empty stadiums and no money would have hit fifa, nothing else will. 

Turnout has been pretty bad so far, but that doesn't matter to FIFA, they make a hell of a lot more money off TV rights and sponsorships and bribes. It also doesn't matter to Qatar, because they've already won by getting to host in the form of arms deals and other opportunities to cozy up to Europe.

25 minutes ago, Siimo van der fietspad said:

Saudi Arabia have a history of being there just to make up the numbers and until yesterday had scored less than one goal per tournament average. They looked much more entertaining and deserved the shock win over Argentina.

Yeah, I'm not considering Saudi Arabia of all teams a lovable underdog.

• Like 1
Siimo van der fietspad
3 hours ago, Still said:

Yeah, I'm not considering Saudi Arabia of all teams a lovable underdog.

That would be Japan. Or Wales.

• Like 1

Judging by the highlights reel I watched on YT, IRN v WAL must have been a really good game :) And who would have thought Quatar would actually be wronged by a referee?

37 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

Judging by the highlights reel I watched on YT, IRN v WAL must have been a really good game :) And who would have though Quatar would actually be wronged by a referee?

Iran were much better than Wales from what I saw and deserved to win the game. USA v Iran as a group decider could be real tasty!

I might be English, I might be an England fan, but I really wanted a USA goal at the start of the second half just to make a game of it. That was a total non-event. We attack best with our full-backs coming forward but we never wanted to gamble in case we were exposed on the counter. A bit of a drab game but we’re still well positioned to go through to the next round. 

28 minutes ago, awadama said:

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

What was Wenger thinking sending Walcott on that early? 

• Like 2

If Poland don't beat Saudi Arabia today, I don't think there's any chance for them to progress.

Siimo van der fietspad

We spent most of the England - USA game debating whether the kit was any good. Not even any yellow cards it was that boring.

On the surface of it, we have three crackers in the next round of matches.

Ecuador v Senegal will likely decide who goes through as runner-up. Iran v USA is the same. Poland v Argentina is bad for both teams but slightly more favourable for the Poles who only need a draw to progress. Denmark are definitely ruing not doing more against Tunisia but you'd fancy the Danes to beat Australia and I cannot see any result but France winning there.

Spain v Germany is tomorrow, 7:00pm GMT kick-off on BBC Sport. It should be a banger. And now I've said it, it will be a boring 0-0 draw. 😂

• Like 1

As a Pole, the current situation is unusual. My generation have never seen that during a World Cup :D 

Also, here's the burn of the day from the Polish TV commentators (during the initial phase of the match) "The [Saudi] falcons are flying freely while the [Polish] eagles still haven't left their nests".

The question of the day: Will we see Germany leaving the WC prematurely for the second consecutive time today?"

• Like 1

Germany and Spain both start without strikers: 0-0

Germany and Spain after they both bring on strikers: 1-1

I will never understand the football tactic of starting a game without the players whose primary responsibility is doing the one thing you need to do in order to win. They both looked so much better when they had strikers making runs into dangerous areas.

Alaska Native Manitou

Long ago I came up with the idea that in the group stage: instead of wins & losses, points are the # of goals your team scored while playing the other teams in your group. That would stop the overly defensive coaching.

Siimo van der fietspad
12 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokee Princess said:

Long ago I came up with the idea that in the group stage: instead of wins & losses, points are the # of goals your team scored while playing the other teams in your group. That would stop the overly defensive coaching.

By that metric, England and Spain would have qualified 70mins into their first games.

Tfw you finish your shift and it turns out that the 2 games you missed featured 11 goals 😮 Although I have no idea whether I would have decided to watch them if I'd had a chance. Probably not...

It has been a really great World Cup so far haha, I cannot lie, it's been crazy.

Germany for some karma today. The ball went out of play but they still counted Japan's goal. Now they know how it feels when the ball crosses the line but gets ignored!!!

Fi677lbWIAY8cxY?format=jpg&name=small

Suck it, Germans!!!

Belgium and Denmark both going in groups was huge too. France lost to Tunisia. Morocco topped their group. Mental.

I still think Brazil look pretty formidable though. My favourites to win the lot.

• Like 1
Siimo van der fietspad

The ball was in play according to the laws of the game, even if by only a millimeter.

I liked that Morata played on one team and Morita on the other.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, JimmyJazz said:

The ball went out of play but they still counted Japan's goal.

How is the "ball going out of play" interpreted, though? From this angle it doesn't look like it went wholly out, but I'm not sure how it's measured. Also, I remember hearing that the ball has a chip in it. Doesn't it beep automatically when the ball crosses the line, or is just with the goal line? 

Regardless, respect for Japan :D They already came close last time in this crazy last 16 game against Belgium.

Siimo van der fietspad

I believe the ball does have a chip, but backed up by the goalline technology using a rapid frame camera. If that game finished 1-1 Spain would still have gone through, so it's only Germany that are upset about it.

Meanwhile South Korea have gone through on goals scored...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Also, I remember hearing that the ball has a chip in it. Doesn't it beep automatically when the ball crosses the line, or is just with the goal line? 

Just the goal line.

There have definitely been many upsets. The cynic in me doesn't necessarily enjoy this, since an exciting event is just what the Qatari government wants in order to be associated with good things.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it's coming home but if you were put together a megatable from the World Cup groups, England would be top with their 7 points and a GD of +7 😎

The Asian Federation saw 3 of 6 teams going through to the next round! Matches overall 7 victories - 1 daw - 10 losses

CONMEBOL 2 of 4 teams (6-2-4)

The African Federation - 2 of 5 teams (7-3-5)

CONCACAF 1 od 4 teams (3-3-6)

Europe v The Rest of the World 8:8 

• Like 2