What type(s) of clothes do you dislike?

J. van Deijck

59 minutes ago, godverdomme said:

People who wear clothes with big designer/brand name written across them seem to be generally considered tacky. It's like screaming "Look, I can afford this brand", but in reality, who cares if you can or not?

More likely, they purchased a Chinese knockoff whose seller was kicked off Amazon the next day by the real brand's IP lawyers, and are only pretending they can afford that brand.  Genuinely wealthy people have their stuff custom-made, they don't wear off-the-rack clothes with logos all over them (unless they're sixteen, stupid, and have no taste).

• Like 5
J. van Deijck
1 hour ago, ElloryJaye said:

More likely, they purchased a Chinese knockoff whose seller was kicked off Amazon the next day by the real brand's IP lawyers, and are only pretending they can afford that brand.  Genuinely wealthy people have their stuff custom-made, they don't wear off-the-rack clothes with logos all over them (unless they're sixteen, stupid, and have no taste).

That absolutely makes sense. Your words, I mean. Not these people :lol:

But. Most of the Chinese knockoff I've seen has spelling mistakes, so you can see immediately :lol:

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, godverdomme said:

But. Most of the Chinese knockoff I've seen has spelling mistakes, so you can see immediately :lol:

That's only the ones that are easy to spot. ;)

• Like 4

Oh god when I was a teenager in the 2000’s I was one of those kids who wore name brand stuff like Hollister and sometimes Abercrombie, and also those hip hop brands like South Pole, Rocawear, or Baby Phat. 😅

• Like 3

I used to hate jeans, now I tolerate them if they fit *just* right.

I really don't like flip flops or sandals. I'd rather have a good pair of tennis shoes or something on.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
41 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

Oh god when I was a teenager in the 2000’s I was one of those kids who wore name brand stuff like Hollister and sometimes Abercrombie, and also those hip hop brands like South Pole, Rocawear, or Baby Phat. 😅

I know only the first two, and only because I've heard about them somewhere :lol:

18 minutes ago, aafire said:

I really don't like flip flops or sandals.

Omg me too. Yet another thing I would never wear.

• Like 2
Sister Mercurial

Things that I can't stand: 

• Uncomfortable fabrics - for me, that means velvet, scratchy knits, synthetic shoes, that nasty rough fabric they use to make a lot of cheap blouses, the 'recycled plastic bottle' fabric Primark etc. have started using for a lot of summer PJs (the aim is laudable, but you can just tell it'll make you sweat).
  • Low rise trousers or anything else that results in a constant danger of wardrobe malfunctions
  • Excessively conspicuous logos (unless it's for a band or something else that indicates one's hobbies, because that makes it easier to connect with like-minded people)
  • Rings
  • Earrings that change the shape of one's earlobes
  • Nose rings (what happens when you catch a cold?)
  • Crop tops
  • The sort of swimwear that requires one to spend an hour doing 'the line' (and that's most of the swimwear in the shops these days, which p155es me off)
  • Cheesecloth or other fabrics through which one's underwear can be seen - or worse, the lack of underwear, as I once had the misfortune of observing on a hippie chick walking through Camden Town in a floaty skirt with no knickers.  
  • Excessively 'girly' clothing - florals, too many frills, puffed sleeves, pink.  
  • The wearing of sportswear when not doing sport, because it reminds me of the bullies in the small town where I grew up.  
  • Anything that makes a skinny model look fat, because it would make me look like an elephant.  

Also, without getting into a discussion about religion or politics because this isn't the place, I will not travel anywhere that mandates the wearing of signs of allegiance to a religious or political ideology I do not share (and there are no such overt signs for my beliefs, so there is nowhere that pushes those sartorially on anyone else).  

Things I don't like, but will wear if I have to: 

• Dresses or skirts, which aren't really me, but sometimes formal occasions call for them.  
  • Uncomfortable shoes, because the overwhelming majority of women's shoes cause blisters at least for the first couple of weeks of wear, so I'd be too limited in my choices otherwise.  
  • Likewise, there are items of clothing I've bought that have had practical flaws - the commonest example is underwear that turns out to be uncomfortable and of course, you're stuck with it then, but also there are some pairs of jeans where the designer didn't intend the pockets to be used, so they become unpleasantly tight once a wallet and phone are added - but I still wear them from time to time because it's wasteful to throw out anything that can still be worn and my more comfortable items are in the wash.  
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, aafire said:

I really don't like flip flops or sandals.

I especially hate ones with a strap between your big toe and second toe.

• Like 4
Alaska Native Manitou
3 hours ago, daveb said:

I especially hate ones with a strap between your big toe and second toe.

I wear sandals, but not that kind.

• Like 3

Crocs. Wide-leg pants. I wore them in high school and I know they're back in style, but even then they felt bulky and awkward and were always a mess when it rained. Don't care for dresses and tops that require a wireless bra because I can never find one that fits.

• Like 1
On 11/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, ElloryJaye said:

More likely, they purchased a Chinese knockoff whose seller was kicked off Amazon the next day by the real brand's IP lawyers, and are only pretending they can afford that brand.

I am the person pretending I can afford the brand (but I get custom-made replicas LMAO).

I whole-ass-edly admit this as someone who enjoys luxury clothing but can almost never afford it (no family hand-outs in this house).

As for clothes I dislike:

• Unfitting clothes
  • Cheap looking materials (overly-shiny, itchy, ragged, ugly)
  • Excessive logos (what are you trying to prove?)
  • Bad craftsmanship (cr*ppy stitching, malformed pieces, holes, etc.)
  • Overly-sexualised clothes (there's tasteful, but there's also Untasteful)
  • Anything that looks like "2012 Tumblr"
  • Anything that looks like your stylist is the personification of cardboard (i.e. bland bodycon, à la Kim Kardashian)
  • Anything that looks "dollarstore"
  • Sleepwear in public
  • Beachwear in public (Even if you're on vacation. I don't wanna see it.)
  • Lazy attire. (If you haven't used your brain to pick clothes, please hang up and try again.)

There's artistic intention. And then there's lack of understanding/creativity.

Dress for the occasion. Ball on a budget. Don't cheat yourself. Look good. Live Love Lasagna.
Lmk if you need the hookups for them quality replicas  5b0c74f8275f5832528883875bef5b8d.png&f=1

• Like 3

@tiloulou, I have a feeling you would hate how I dress. 🤣

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, ElloryJaye said:

I have a feeling you would hate how I dress. 🤣

I'm not here to judge, only to provide solicited opinions

my card:
3d0c9b3462ba200acafc0c1d32c513e3.png

• Like 2

I don't like clothes that have been previously owned.  Something about knowing some random person wore the clothes before me creeps me out for some reason.

I also don't like anything with lace.  It's very uncomfortable to me.  I'll only wear lace if the lace part of the garment doesn't touch my body.

Jeans with holes in them are also out.  It annoys me that there are so many jeans out there that already have holes in them.  I just want a normal pair of jeans!

Finally, I don't like anything that is tight and/or would show a lot of skin.  I don't want to draw that kind of attention.  Baggy clothes are better.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
5 hours ago, tiloulou said:

Beachwear in public (Even if you're on vacation. I don't wanna see it.)

In my country, you can be fined by the police if you leave the beach in your swimsuit without changing clothes first. Guess they're not big fans either :lol:

2 hours ago, coolshades said:

Jeans with holes in them are also out.

I like them, actually. But they just don't suit everywhere. Sometimes you need 'normal' looking ones, too.

4 hours ago, ElloryJaye said:

@tiloulou, I have a feeling you would hate how I dress. 🤣

I have a feeling that most people here would hate how I dress :lol:

• Like 1
Alaska Native Manitou
15 hours ago, Princess Flufflebutt said:

Suits.

Experience has taught me not to trust someone wearing a suit.

• Like 3
Sister Mercurial
19 hours ago, coolshades said:

It annoys me that there are so many jeans out there that already have holes in them.

Me too and I don't buy them like that, but if a pair of my regular jeans happens to go at the knees, I'll keep on wearing it because so many people wear distressed jeans.  Might as well get all the use I can out of them.  

• Like 2

Skinny jeans. They look godawful. Especially on guys. They have a completely flat saggy arse that hangs low but cling to twiggy legs. They need incineration. 

Underwired bras. The most uncomfortable shit to ever exist. Once I tried one of those "lounge bras" I have never looked back. 

J. van Deijck
16 minutes ago, Black-purple-grey said:

Skinny jeans. They look godawful. Especially on guys.

Glad I'm not the only one.

• Like 1
Siimo van der fietspad
5 hours ago, Black-purple-grey said:

Skinny jeans. They look godawful. Especially on guys. They have a completely flat saggy arse that hangs low but cling to twiggy legs. They need incineration. 

Underwired bras. The most uncomfortable shit to ever exist. Once I tried one of those "lounge bras" I have never looked back. 

Sorry, can't agree. As a cyclist they not only remove the fear of chain stains and not have to use those '50s trouser clips, but also that my pants could fall down if I stand up to climb a hill and they are much easier to wear under rain pants should it, well, rain. Thay also appeal to my sense of being andryogenous. My opinion is not at all biased by having a frankly perfect pair of pins due to running and cycling a LOT.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

To each their own, I guess. Everyone likes what they like.

Belgium is full of cyclists as well and cycling apparel is the most popular here for that reason.

• Like 1
Siimo van der fietspad
On 11/3/2022 at 5:41 AM, coolshades said:

I don't like clothes that have been previously owned.  Something about knowing some random person wore the clothes before me creeps me out for some reason.

I also don't like anything with lace.  It's very uncomfortable to me.  I'll only wear lace if the lace part of the garment doesn't touch my body.

Jeans with holes in them are also out.  It annoys me that there are so many jeans out there that already have holes in them.  I just want a normal pair of jeans!

Finally, I don't like anything that is tight and/or would show a lot of skin.  I don't want to draw that kind of attention.  Baggy clothes are better.

I'm slightly on the fence on this. I am ok with second hand outerwear and things like scarves, hats, sorta shoes. but any layers under that I usually won't. Besides, charity shops seem to be full of bad fast fashion stuff not much cheaper than the original price, and I tend to buy second hand things only if they would be way out of my price new. I don't like the smell of laundry liquids that aren't the kind I use too.

• Like 1
Siimo van der fietspad
Just now, godverdomme said:

To each their own, I guess. Everyone likes what they like.

Belgium is full of cyclists as well and cycling apparel is the most popular here for that reason.

Well, I am also one of the tribe of 'normal' cyclists who hate lycra! We are what you'd call 'fietser' - normal clothing and mostly regular bikes, especially in this country where you have to convince people to ride in the first place.

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
5 minutes ago, Siimo van der fietspad said:

Well, I am also one of the tribe of 'normal' cyclists who hate lycra! We are what you'd call 'fietser' - normal clothing and mostly regular bikes, especially in this country where you have to convince people to ride in the first place.

Those occur in my country, too :D

But, honestly, I think I've seen all sorts of people on all sorts of bikes here. I have friends who are cyclists and one of them makes 25 kilometres one way each day just to go to work, and you can see him in all that cycling gear for most of the time :lol:

It's not like I can really use the bike in the nearest future, but back in time when I did, I had only one pair of tight trousers just for that. I generally seem to be very different than you on that matter :P

• Like 1
On 11/2/2022 at 7:59 PM, bare_trees said:

Crocs.

Oh god..these things I had a knock off version that I wore during the summer of 2008 before I went into middle school and they were not pleasant at all. So many blisters and i felt horrid if sand got kicked into them, I'm honestly shocked they became popular again for these reasons.

I guess my main ones would be sequiened clothes, clothes made of nylon (I hate the sound it makes) and those all over print hoodies I see sometimes  (some of the prints are ok but others just look tacky as heck).

• Like 3
J. van Deijck
10 hours ago, thegreatwolf said:

and those all over print hoodies I see sometimes  (some of the prints are ok but others just look tacky as heck).

I like printed hoodies, but I can admit it's hard to disagree with it. Some prints are indeed quite tasteless.

• Like 2

socks. I wear them, but I don't like them. If I lived in a tropical climate, these would be the first things to go.

along with wool & denim. I don't like anything that is too scratchy, itchy or stiff. (Some jeans are softer - maybe they're blended denim & other fabrics & I can do those, but I'd rather other types of pants).

• Like 2