lost for words...

love buzz

violeteyedsoul
Violet: What does the "Diplomacy" photo on your posting depict? My eyes are old and I can't tell what one person is doing to the other, even though I squint hard. :shock:

oh!

*chuckle!*

Well, I thought it was pretty funny.

the captioning says, " words don't always solve problems.

Some times you just have to punch an alien in the face." X-P

lol!

:-D

And it has

(*chuckle!*)

A picture of Captain Kirk dragging an extra off who he just "knocked out" with his"super captain strength!"

lol!

(The Captain is bending over the guy on the floor, and has his arms wrapped around the other guy's arms, and is trying to "drag him off". lol! :-D )

I just recently saw that Star Trek too!

It was SO FUNNY!

The Extra had these Little Beady antenna that were bouncing around, and nearly falling off his head!

LOL!

It was SO HILARIOUS!

MAN! that show was GOOD!

My whole family, and Dad Esp., has always had a good time watching and laughing at that show!

It's nearly a family tradition!

Ahh, but yeah.

Did I answer your question?

Or was I WAY off?

Did I get close?

violeteyedsoul
i don't think we have "haggis" or whatever in the south.

You actually do. Almost anyway. You know when you have stuffing at Thanksgiving with your turkey? Well, take that and add some meats (or don't, it's not important and it's up to you what you use. Some use kidney and liver, others just use ground meats, others don't use any meat, the most important thing is the spices.) Traditionally it was cooked in the sheep's stomach (because they didn't have crockpots) but you didn't eat that part, you threw it away. This is why people will tell you that haggis is a sheep's stomach. It's kinda' like everyone'll tell you that sushi is raw fish. It's not but you can't convince anyone of it.

So, yeah, poultry stuffing is about as close as you're going to come to haggis without it being haggis.

WOW!

That's fascinating!

I never knew!

And here my Mom had been telling me for YEARS now about the Horrors of Haggis!

(She's NOT English, but prides herself on all things English. Kinda how my little brother and sister now Pride themselves on "knowing and seeing all" on all things Japanese! G R O A N !!! lol! )

But that's cool!

Now THIS year, at thanksgiving, I can tell everyone that were basically having Haggis!

lol!

Of course no one'll believe me.

But I'll know better!

By the way, you said the spices were really important.

what KIND of spices? And in what amounts?

Err....Haggis is Scottish, Violeteyedsoul, not English. So understandable that your mum wouldn't know about it.

And it's delicious, by the way. Great in a baked potato...

violeteyedsoul
Err....Haggis is Scottish, Violeteyedsoul, not English. So understandable that your mum wouldn't know about it.

And it's delicious, by the way. Great in a baked potato...

*BLUSHES S O B I G the WHOLE ROOM is turned R E D !!!!*

ooops!

wwweeeellllll....!

I'd LOVE to try some on a baked potato.

*slinks outta the room with tail between legs*

By the way, my Mom just looked it up, and the dictionary that we have over here says:

haggis n. Scottish dish made from sheep's offal.

My Mom thinks that offal means; well; crap.

I doubt it.

Looks like the Dictionaries we have over here in America are CRAP!

*BLUSHES EVEN BIGGER! to the point of near Blindness!*

Is it hot in here!? <-- whines! Or is it just me? <-- Voice cracking!

*falls over from embarrassment!*

lol.

Offal is liver, kidneys, and well, yes, the other bits of a sheep that are not normally eaten. Kind of the same stuff that goes into sausages and burgers. :D

Your mum is right on one level though. I looked in the OED and an alternative meaning for offal is refuse, as in crap!

If you're squeamish though, you can get vegetarian haggis now, which taste almost the same as the meaty version.

Both are MMMMMM!!!

*Sighs and feels homesick*

violeteyedsoul
Offal is liver, kidneys, and well, yes, the other bits of a sheep that are not normally eaten. Kind of the same stuff that goes into sausages and burgers. :D

Your mum is right on one level though. I looked in the OED and an alternative meaning for offal is refuse, as in crap!

If you're squeamish though, you can get vegetarian haggis now, which taste almost the same as the meaty version.

Both are MMMMMM!!!

*Sighs and feels homesick*

wow.

Kinda sounds like Hot Dogs, and Baloney.

Or what I was TOLD by the kids in my elementary school. Since they were all from the farm then I figured, as they said, that they would have a better idea of what TRULY went into Hot Dogs and Baloney.

Though, I still wonder.

And never wanted to believe it at the time.

I still eat the stuff though. When I get the chance.

Man it's been AGES since I've had Baloney.

Or a Hot Dog even!

lol!

Wow!

lol!

huh!

I wonder though, HOW do they manage to make the Vegetarian stuff taste like the real thing?

With like a broth from the real thing?

I think I might like to try the veg. one instead.

BUT if I were ever to actually make it to Scotland, then I would DEFIANTLY try the REAL one.

Makes me wish I could TRY some now.

*chuckling sigh!*

The Dreaded Haggis (from Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course)

1 sheep's stomach

1 sheep heart

1 sheep liver

1/2 lb suet, fresh (kidney leaf fat is preferred)

3/4 c oatmeal

1 ts salt

1/2 ts pepper

1/4 ts cayenne

1/2 ts nutmeg

3/4 c stock

Wash stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.

Cover heart and liver with cold water, Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon.

Ick. Forget the offal. Forget the oatmeal. :roll: Make Kasha instead!

Kasha Varnishkes

This is a dish that was common among the Russian Jews in the home land, and it continued to be celebrated on the Lower East Side in New York. It is cheap to make and really quite good, and the flavor reminds one of "the other side." The name literally means 'kasha with bow ties.'" --

Ingredients

1 cup kasha buckwheat groats, medium granulation

1 egg, well beaten

2 tablespoons rendered chicken fat or vegetable oil

1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped

2 cups chicken stock or use canned

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 cup pasta bow ties

Instructions

In a small bowl, mix the kasha with the beaten egg. Be sure all the grains are covered with egg. Place a medium non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the kasha to the pan and, using a wooden fork, flatten it out a bit, stirring and moving it about the pan until the egg dries and the grains have mostly separated. Set aside.

Place a pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta bow ties. (Do not cook them yet.) In a 4-quart heavy stove-top covered casserole, heat the chicken fat or oil and saute the onions until clear. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the salt and pepper and the reserved kasha. Stir a bit and cover. Cook over low heat, stirring now and then, until the kasha is tender, about 10 minutes. If it is not done to your taste, cook for a few more minutes. In the meantime, boil the pasta just until tender. Drain well and stir into the kasha. Serve hot.

Yield: 4 servings as a starch dish

violeteyedsoul

:wink:

They don't really have a YUMMY! smiley.

too bad.

BOY!

This stuff is making me HUNGRY!

LOL!

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm!

MMmmuuusssstttt hhhaaavvveee cccaaaakkkkeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

*shuffles off drooling*

LOL!

:cake::cake::cake:

Ick. Forget the offal. Forget the oatmeal. :roll: Make Kasha instead!

Haggis isn't Ick!! :( It's delicious. And oatmeal is good for lowering the cholesterol....

Mind you, your Kasha sounds good too. Is there a veggy version?

Yeah.

And is there a version that does NOT include oats?

I'm allergic to them.

*SIGH! Shrug!*

Simple..just don't eat the stuff..wisest course anyway.

There may be a vegetarian kasha recipe where you use veg broth instead of chicken broth -- but it probably wouldn't taste as good. I know to vegetarians/vegans/people who care about animals (including me) chicken fat/broth is gross, but it sure helps get those groats down.

And then there's gefilte fish, which I'm willing to bet is way worse than haggis, although I haven't tasted haggis. If you have a decent fish, why mess it up that way? Matzo balls are pretty awful also. Many cultural foods are consumed because they're...uh, cultural...not because they taste good.

What was the original subject of this thread anyway? :?

Them's groats, not oats. :D

I have not sat down to a meal of this sort for a long time, but I recall really loving kasha and being so-so about matzoh balls and gefilte fish.

...to the max with the Big Three! Excelsior! :wink:

Err..it was a problem lovebuzz was having with relationships. :oops:

I know hijacking threads is common, but how the hell did we get from serious relationship issues to weird regional food?

*creeps away shamefully*

Sorry, LoveBuzz

It happened right here: :lol:

It's like eating haggis LOL.

Some people love it

Some people think they know what it is and won't touch it.

Some people find out what it is and try it and it's not so bad....

Yes, it did. Thanks, Osito!!

Well, at least there was a connection between the original theme and the one we're now on...

*feels a little better, and goes off to look up clootie dumpling recipe...*

violeteyedsoul
There may be a vegetarian kasha recipe where you use veg broth instead of chicken broth -- but it probably wouldn't taste as good. I know to vegetarians/vegans/people who care about animals (including me) chicken fat/broth is gross, but it sure helps get those groats down.

And then there's gefilte fish, which I'm willing to bet is way worse than haggis, although I haven't tasted haggis. If you have a decent fish, why mess it up that way?

If you wanna try messed up fish try Lutefisk! ( I've NEVER had it but the stories of the HORRORS! of that stuff are LEGENDARY! )

Matzo balls are pretty awful also. Many cultural foods are consumed because they're...uh, cultural...not because they taste good.
I agree.

I don't know. It was lost a long time ago. I've been wondering that myself.

violeteyedsoul

Them's groats, not oats. :D

I have not sat down to a meal of this sort for a long time, but I recall really loving kasha and being so-so about matzoh balls and gefilte fish.

...to the max with the Big Three! Excelsior! :wink:

What the crap are GROATS?

I've NEVER HEARD of such a thing!

Is it for REAL? or just a typo?

*Massively confused!*

violeteyedsoul
Yes, it did. Thanks, Osito!!

Well, at least there was a connection between the original theme and the one we're now on...

*feels a little better, and goes off to look up clootie dumpling recipe...*

"clootie dumpling recipe?"

Sounds like something off "Sponge Bob"

lol!

(Or just another typo.! lol! :-D )

[

What the crap are GROATS?

Groats were an old British coin...roughly equivalent to a penny (or of course the even older Roman denarius).

roddy

No, no, not a typo, it's delicious. My mum used to make it when I was a kid. So did my grandad, and it's yummy.

Unfortunately they didn't make it from a recipe, it was handed down by word of mouth, and when my mum died I didn't know enough to make it successfully. I've tried a few recipes and none of them have turned out the way I remember it. But I've recently seen another which seems promising, and will try it over the next few days.

If it's good, I'll post it up.

*Mouth waters at the thought*

No weird ingredients, either...!

SonnetofNaphriel

I think a more important question right now, is to ask and answer whether or not you love yourself. Thinking about it will offer insight into your current problems. I am also asocial, and seldom "chase" a man I'm attracted to, mostly because I don't think relationships are worth the hassle. Partially out of fear of intimacy. It takes immense courage to stand naked in front of another human being. Then, of course, I have no interest in sex. What man wants a girl like that?

You may have been running around a lot to escape an internal issue.

violeteyedsoul
No, no, not a typo, it's delicious. My mum used to make it when I was a kid. So did my grandad, and it's yummy.

Unfortunately they didn't make it from a recipe, it was handed down by word of mouth, and when my mum died I didn't know enough to make it successfully. I've tried a few recipes and none of them have turned out the way I remember it. But I've recently seen another which seems promising, and will try it over the next few days.

If it's good, I'll post it up.

*Mouth waters at the thought*

No weird ingredients, either...!

OOOhhhhhh!!!

OOOkkkkaaaayyyy!

I get it now!

lol!

Sorry, I was getting a bit upset cause my little brother was SCREAMING at me at the time.

lol!

Do you want me to come round and have your little brother for supper? Any blood group will do, I'm not fussy. :twisted:

Here's Webster's on 'groat':

hulled grain broken into fragments larger than grits. :)

Now, I had no idea there was a relationship between 'groat' and 'grit'. That's something to think about.

In the case of kasha, the grain is buckwheat.

Roddy is also correct; that's the other definition of groat. Maybe there's a historical connection somewhere, with the coin representing a fragment of something bigger? :?:

I thought a groat was an old English coin... you learn something new every day!

From Wikipedia (granted it is not an authoritative "professional" source. Boy, does groaty pudding sound horrible.

"Not to be confused with the coin groat, or the maize porridge grits.

Groats are the hulled and crushed grains of various cereals, such as oats, wheat, barley or buckwheat. They are a good source of avenanthramide.

Groats are nutritious, but hard to chew, so they are often soaked and cooked. Roasted buckwheat groats are known as kasha; they are used as a main ingredient in a popular staple meal of the same name in Eastern Europe and Eurasia.

Groaty pudding, also known as Groaty Dick, is a traditional dish from the Black Country in England. It is made from soaked groats, leeks, onions, beef and beef stock which is baked at 150 degrees Centigrade for up to 16 hours. Groaty pudding is a traditional meal on Guy Fawkes Night."

Groaty Dick??? :lol:

Now doesn't that conjure up an image...

Seems suitable for Guy Fawkes Night, though. Good and burnt, I trust...

Groaty Dick??? That is right up there with the worst food names ever! It sounds even more like a venereal disease than Spotted Dick!

As for groats ... funny ... I have no idea how I know this, or even where I learned it, but I know exactly what they are. Groats are grain that has been chopped rather than crushed. This makes oat groats more angular and crunchy whereas rolled oats are softer, cook faster and make oatmeal.

Bulgar wheat is another name for wheat groats and buckwheat groats are often called kasha.

I don't know what barley groats are called.

-GB

Archived