Tips for coming out?

I have posted on here before discussing how I am gender apathetic and still trying to figure out my gender identity. I still dont know what my idenity is exactly but since that post I have concluded that I am somewhere on the non binary spectrum (androgye and bigender are the labels I am vibing with most right now.) I have told several close friends and they have been very supportive, however I really want to tell my parents but I am not quite sure how. I know for sure that I want to come out to my mom first as she is much more progressive then my dad when it comes to lgbtq+ topics. She is even aware of non binary identities and when one of my friends came out as a trans man she tried to hardest to use correct pronouns. I am not scared that she is going to reject me but more that she won't take me seriously. I have talked to her about my mental health, low self esteem and how it is caused by something (that being my gender) but I have never been able to go a step further and and tell her that I dont completely idenity as a cis female. As of right now I am writing a letter to her explaining my feelings but even that is proving to be difficult as I just not sure what to say. Any tips? Thank you for reading!

• Like 1
notafigmentofurimagination

well ofc definitely make sure coming out will not put you and any danger and only do it if you feel ready.  as for other advice.  i feel like if there may be any confusion between the two of you it would be better to have a real life conversation as tone can be harder to interpret over a letter or text.  if you dont know what to say irl, maybe consider drafting your thoughts on paper before to figure things out?  if you are scared that she won't take you seriously maybe bring that point up with her and explain how it's important to you that she's taking you seriously, i can see that as an issue that could lead towards miscommunication.  do be aware that there may be questions and you may have to explain things cuz parents dont always know and understand everything sooooo.... yeah.  better to clear up any misconceptions while you're at it.  plz to take my words with a grain of salt though, i am no expert, but i do wish i had explained to my mom how asexual and alloromantic are not mutually exclusive... but i can deal with that issue later.  so yeah