Wearing pride stuff to work?

Does anyone ever wear pride gear to work just so people will stop trying to figure out what the deal is? I tend to avoid It as I feel like higher ups might see I as unprofessional or it would cause other sort of issues. 

Ohhhh... no, no, no, no, no, no, no, ...

Even if my higher-ups and colleagues would be cool with it there are still customers that could feel weirded out or 'attacked'. If I wear jewellery then only something that obviously can't be even remotely rainbow or religious looking (unless it's a cross because this is still central European bigotry we're talking about). The closest thing that I have to 'pride stuff' that I could maybe wear to work might be my swarovski bracelet with a pendant that looks like an ace of spades. Because that can mean anything and nothing. Depending on the unspoken 'earring policy' I might be able to wear my ace ear hangers since they are designed to be sneakily ace coloured flowers. But they are big and 'jingle' so they might not be appropriate overall.

• Like 2

Even if I did consider myself part of LGBTQ+, I wouldn't.  I don't feel that sort of thing, gay or straight or otherwise, is appropriate for the workplace.

The asexual flag and colours are not super widely known outside the LGBTQ+ community, so it may just invite further questioning. I don't know your relationship status or what specific questions people are asking, but if you're single and not looking, can you not just say so? Why is your sexuality such a conversation topic at work anyway?

• Like 2

I wouldn't wear anything noticeable unless I would attend a pride event. I feel that my orientation is between me and my future partner .. but I'm a shy and private person, so.  :)

• Like 1

It's not really a huge deal IMO.

I bought a whistle with an asexual pattern on the strap when I was at pride earlier this year. Removed the whistle, and put my keys on it. And that's about the only "pride" related thing I have that I could use in public (swapping the keys for a keycard/ID/etc.). But if I had anything rainbow-y, or any other pride colours, it wouldn't make any difference IMO.

Clothes are clothes (as is jewellery, or whatever else). As long as the dress code at your work allows it, so what?

Maybe I'm saying that because I live in a very liberal area, the city I work in is even more so, and the place I work has equality at its core. I dunno, but I don't see why it's a big deal. If people can go to work in full "goth" clothing, then why can't you wear "gay" clothes?

• Like 1
The French Unicorn

Only time I did was when we organized the LGBT+ Day at my high school, and even then I wasn't comfortable wearing my flag on me (instead if the rainbow that allies had) so I hide it with my hair lol. I was glad to wear some thing like that for the first time, but I also remembered it was important to not share my private life with students so I don't think I would do it again.

But that's the context of working in a school, maybe I would if I worked elsewhere.

Can't really wear accessories (other than necklaces) with scrubs, much less when in an OR. But one of my coworkers in practice had pride tattoos, nobody seemed to mind and I complimented her on them off-work.

• Like 1
GoodVibesMostly

I‘ve thought about this a bit, when I had to decide whether or not to wear the ring at work. Here’s what I came up with (but only pertaining to subtle displays, not pride flags): lots of people wear their wedding rings to work. Not all married people do that, I‘ve noticed, but no one would be offended to see a wedding ring or tell the person wearing the ring that it’s TMI. I know it’s not the same thing, but it proves to me that a little statement about your love/relationship life is perfectly appropriate. 

Don’t know about pride colors, I personally wouldn’t think of it as a big deal if I saw it. But I know that a lot of people would call it inappropriate, like you wouldn’t wear a shirt of your favorite band to work, or festival bracelets. Again, probably not the best comparison, but both things (pride gear and band shirts) are merch and that’s what could be considered inappropriate. 

I suspect it wouldn't have the effect you want (very few people will recognize ace gear for what it is), and might get you in trouble (because USA).  If you don't know the company's official position, it's probably not worth the risk.  Doubly so if you're one of the unfortunates living where local law effectively allows employers to fire you without cause.

I have a few small pride flags decorating my office. Maybe one person has asked about them in the past four months.

I've worn t-shirts with flag colours. I've come into work wearing a rainbow tuque or t-shirt with rainbow sports team logos.

I've never gotten in trouble for it, but I guess according to some people, I should. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 4

I had a little pin badge at my old job. No one ever mentioned it and I wasn't punished either. No one cared!

• Like 3

I used an app to add a Pride rainbow to my internal company directory photo, which shows up whenever someone emails or calls me within the company. I’m now technically “out” to more people at work than outside work 🐧🥰🏳️‍🌈

• Like 1

It depends on where you work and whether you have a public facing job. If noone is going to see you at work except for other employees, you can probably go for it. If you work with customers or clients whose business your company is competing for, probably not. If you work in a government job where the public have no choice about coming to you for their license plate renewal or whatever, then maybe.

nutterwithasolderingiron

i work in a bike shop. my cycle bag is covered in various badges and pins regarding queer stuff, i have the ace flag sticker on my daily bike, ace flag colored shoelaces and during june, my bike has both the asexual flag and the rainbow flag....... i think they know. 

• Like 4
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

If it's subtle or the place doesn't care then go for it, I just advise people to treat pride flag jewelry like all other jewelry in terms of what's appropriate to wear in what setting.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Jordan... said:

Maybe I'm saying that because I live in a very liberal area, the city I work in is even more so, and the place I work has equality at its core. I dunno, but I don't see why it's a big deal. If people can go to work in full "goth" clothing, then why can't you wear "gay" clothes?

I agree. :D 

1 hour ago, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

i work in a bike shop. my cycle bag is covered in various badges and pins regarding queer stuff, i have the ace flag sticker on my daily bike, ace flag colored shoelaces and during june, my bike has both the asexual flag and the rainbow flag....... i think they know. 

I love that!

I wear a they/them badge on my lanyard at school (if that counts), as well as my ace ring, and not many people have asked me about them. (however some people have just straight up not noticed and still call me she). but school is a waaayy less professional space so I understand that this is different. But my mum's job is pretty casual where she can come in jeans and a hoodie every day. If I went to a job like hers, I would most likely wear pride stuff openly (depending on what the general stance on LGBTQ+ topics is in the workplace).

I used to work at a little place that was very lgbt+ friendly and I'd wear pride pins there, especially since I had a pronoun pin (that no customers bothered to acknowledge) I didn't really care to out myself since it was obvious. During pride weeks and months, I'd wear various hats with flags on them. I don't do that anymore. One because I keep that information private now and two because I have to wear a uniform and wouldn't be able to even if I wanted to. It depends on what kind of environment you work in that would determine whether it'd be unprofessional or not. 

19 hours ago, Reindeer said:

Does anyone ever wear pride gear to work just so people will stop trying to figure out what the deal is? I tend to avoid It as I feel like higher ups might see I as unprofessional or it would cause other sort of issues. 

I’ve worn my bracelet (aroace flag) to work before, but it’s subtle. I don’t think anyone noticed. I also wear it to school every day. No one asks about it, but the people who would ask already know.

22 hours ago, Ceebs said:

The asexual flag and colours are not super widely known outside the LGBTQ+ community, so it may just invite further questioning. I don't know your relationship status or what specific questions people are asking, but if you're single and not looking, can you not just say so? Why is your sexuality such a conversation topic at work anyway?

Cuase I tend to be very serious, work focused an overchiever, don't talk about myself and seem put together. So how on earth am I single when I'm nearly thirty. (is the thought process I suppose). In reality I have a FwB, I am super kinky and date very highly dysfunctional people because A.I have no attention span and if someone is predictable I will get bored B.Dysfuctional people tend to thrive In one or more areas such as being overly intelligent, highly sexual, overly chipper and outgoing, or overall corky and eccentric and I enjoy being dragged along for whatever crazy nonsense they get me into. But no one needs to know this! 

Nah. Mostly because I don't feel the need to, and it's none of their business. I have several out LGBTQ+ colleagues, so it would probably be accepted, but for now, they don't have to know every single detail about my private life 

I wear my ace ring, sometimes my aroace themed bracelets, have an ace flag on my key ring, and I mention my girlfriend. Very few people have noticed the aroace stuff. It makes me slightly twitchy, to be openly lesbian, but I also want to be an openly queer adult around the kids I tutor. I'm in a pretty liberal area so I haven't had any issues, but I have had a kid or two do a double take. 

• 1 month later...
Cyberspace2001

The only thing I ever really wear at work is my ace ring as it's kind of subtle and isn't so attention grabbing. Besides that, there's really nothing else I wear at work that could be considered "asexual-esque"

I work at a auto parts store for those wondering. 

I wear pride clothes and accessories at work all the time, but the rainbow stuff people get, the ace pride flag they don't at all, unless they are but no one's saying anything.

I suppose because I wear rainbow things and have some pride decor around my desk, sometimes the kids will talk to me about it, and I like to help them feel that the library is a safe space if they're queer.  Same thing with many adults--they don't want to disclose that they're looking for books having to do with same-sex relationships, etc. so they try to dance around the subject or ask in some kind of code...and I hope to make it a little bit easier.  But no one ever says anything about my ace necklace, or the snowflake I had above the desk that had the ace colors last winter, except my coworker who is also ace (well, she made the snowflake for me), so, like @Ceebssaid, I'm pretty convinced no one knows what those colors mean.  Idk how helpful would they would be if you went out of your way to display them, dress in them, etc, as much as possible for getting the message across that you don't want to talk to coworkers about dating and whatnot.

• Like 1
The French Unicorn
11 hours ago, bare_trees said:

because I wear rainbow things and have some pride decor around my desk, sometimes the kids will talk to me about it, and I like to help them feel that the library is a safe space if they're queer.  Same thing with many adults--they don't want to disclose that they're looking for books having to do with same-sex relationships, etc. so they try to dance around the subject or ask in some kind of code...and I hope to make it a little bit easier. 

Interesting ! The other day I was talking with someone about how to make it easier for people to find LGBT books in the school library. In the school of my colleague, they used to put something on these books so the students know what they were about, but my colleague thought (and I agreed) that it makes some people reluctant to take them cause everybody knows the subject if they see them take the book. So she was looking for something else to make the kids know which books are LGBT+.

We didn't think about letting them know that we are allies so they ask us directly !

• Like 1