For those of age in their place of residence, alcohol?

R_1

AVENites  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink vodka?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you drink beer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  3. 3. Do you drink rum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  4. 4. Do you drink wine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  5. 5. Do you drink gin?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  6. 6. Do you drink whiskey?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  7. 7. Do you drink tequila?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  8. 8. Do you drink martini?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  9. 9. Do you drink magarita?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other
  10. 10. Do you drink any alcohol?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Just as title said.

If you are not of legal age, and drink, that's illegal. I prefer to survey only those of legal age.

Also, the poll can be answered by non-alcoholic drinkers given the last question.

You're always "of age" in my country of residence. Belgium doesn't really have "the legal drinking age". It's the legal purchasing age instead.

Anyways, I don't drink much these days, due to health problems. When I do, it's always beer or wine, just like before. I've been drinking small amounts of vodka, too, but I don't like the taste.

• Like 2
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

Rum, gin, whiskey, and tequila I only drink in cocktails. I don't drink martinis at all. Everything else I drink, especially beer.

I don't drink as I'm an alcoholic.... When I start drinking it's for days and I get sloppy in many areas of my life : I forget to pay my bills, I don't do my chores and I miss work.

• Like 2

Mostly beer. Er, very frequently. Maybe too frequently. Sometimes vodka, but I used to have a really fucked up relationship with it, so not often anymore. Will drink wine, but haven't much in a while. Will also drink gin and whisk(e)y, but rarely do. Rum is revolting, so no. Don't think I've ever ever had tequila. And I don't bother with cocktails. Can't be arsed.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Howard said:

I don't drink as I'm an alcoholic.... When I start drinking it's for days and I get sloppy in many areas of my life : I forget to pay my bills, I don't do my chores and I miss work.

Good for you for knowing your limit 

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

I consume no alcohol at all. I even avoid alcohol-containing sweets, and when I accidentally used alcohol-containing mouthwash (without knowing that it contains alcohol)... it was horrible, such a terrible burning sensation that I immediately sput it out, rinsed my mouth with a lot of water and grabbed my mint candies. I absolutely hate the taste of alcohol, every alcoholic beverage I have tried (in small quantities only, but I tried alcohol about 20 times) ranges from "unpleasant" to "horrible". "Alcohol" and "tasty" are mutually exclusive to me.

Due to having only tried small quantities (well, most of my alcohol-trying was when I was still a minor - in Poland letting a minor try small quantities of alcohol is not explicitly illegal, although of course letting a child get drunk can land parents in legal trouble - so I entered adulthood already with a developed awareness of disliking alcohol), I have never been drunk. But every time I see or hear someone drunk... I feel such disgust with this drug, I find it hard to imagine how do people find it enjoyable, interesting... No way, I have no desire of knowing how exactly it feels to be drunk, so finding both the taste and the effects so unappealing (and lacking any tendency for the "fitting in" aspect of drinking - I don't like partying anyway, and I was never afraid to be a non-conformist and an outlier) is only a good thing - no risk of getting drunk against my real wishes.

I guess that I'm just a person with a clearly defined "drug orientation". It seems that I share many characteristics of people who avoid drugs in general, but I have experienced a psychedelic fascination since I was 12 years old (I first actually tried a psychedelic drug 18 years later). In comparison... all other drugs are completely uninteresting to me (although - see below). If every single dealer in stimulants and opiates were arrested, if there was a huge shortage in prescription sedatives and sleeping medication, I would have a good chance of not even noticing it. ;) Actually, I did have a short period of generalised drug curiousity earlier at the age of 11-12, when I started listening to rock music and "rebelling" in other ways than merely declaring that I will never marry or have children... but the moment I first heard about psychedelics, the moment I heard these words which produce visions, my fascination was immediately sparked and other drugs lost any appeal. Sure, at first I was terrified of my fascination due to internalised narcophobia, it lasted until I started reading more about psychedelics and absorbed some psychedelic theory (in fact, despite no longer being only a theorist, I still widely use the phrase "psychedelic theory" in my diary). But in general, this was the course of my fascination. Probably it also factored in why I lost interest in trying alcohol and possibly "developing a taste" for it - as another consciousness-limiting drug, alcohol too lost any appeal to me.

• Like 2

I’ve drunk all of those, but my favorites are whiskey (mixed with Diet Coke) and beer.

RoseGoesToYale

I'll drink any of these except whiskey*, tequila* and martinis. The first time I tried whiskey (my parents let me taste, it was a good brand, so it wasn't cheap shit) I said it tasted like pine sol. With tequila, I never even got to tasting it. I took one whiff and said it smelled like death. Never had a martini, but they sound gross.

I only started drinking at 22, and four years later, I've started losing interest in it. The symptom tradeoff isn't great, and for me hangover begins 1-2 hours after the last drink. NA alcohols and mixed drinks are getting better and more popular, so when I want something fancy I can have that.

*I won't drink alcoholic versions of these, but some non-alcoholic versions of them taste waaaay better than the real things. NA moscato wine is better than the real thing IMO, and you can drink it during the day.

In general I don't drink. I have in the past drunk all of them. If I do drink now (thrice in two years) I generally drink cocktails with either vodka or rum. I also enjoy amaretto. I used to have a problem with alcohol, and so I only drink on certain occasions. 

Feds the Freds

No to everything. We were even in a whiskey brewery in school, where we were offered to drink and I didn't as the only one there, I'm a real party pooper...
Even my brother who usually also never drinks alcohol tried a teeny tiny bit. He found it disgusting as expected, but still he tried, I didn't even wanna try haha
I dislike anything with alcohol in it, also alcohol free "alcohol drinks", I just don't like the smell of it and tiramisou I once had with alcohol was horrible, so I prefer deserts that are also suitable for kids I guess :D

The only time I deliberatley put alcohol into anything was for cooking, 1 time*, to test it out. It was ok, I kinda wanna do it again sometime. But it's not necessary, vinegar does the trick just fine :)

*because we get alcohol all the time as a gift, even though also our parents don't really drink any, so we have too much - like seriousely, is the only suitable gift for anything a bottle of whine???
Even I got whine in the last job and I thought I made it clear enough that I don't drink at all, but they also gave some other cool presents so I forgive them haha (as a parting gift)

Hi. I just thought I'd help mention (in case there's anyone who's underage who might feel self-pressure or believe that drinking is something that they might be expected or have to do when they're older--based on the recent drinking threads), not all adults drink, so there's no pressure.

It's not something you have to do, in case you might feel you'd have to or be expected to in order to have/keep friends, etc.

• Like 1
Feds the Freds
15 minutes ago, LeChat said:

Hi. I just thought I'd help mention (in case there's anyone who's underage who might feel self-pressure or believe that drinking is something that they might be expected or have to do when they're older--based on the recent drinking threads), not all adults drink, so there's no pressure.

It's not something you have to do, in case you might feel you'd have to or be expected to in order to have/keep friends, etc.

Oh, it can get really pressuring. I never go out on party events so I'm sure others can feel even more pressured than me. But in school everyone and I mean EVERYONE demanded to try out a bit, even the teachers! I hated those eating out events in school camps...

• Like 1

I have tried all of these. Apart from whiskey or martini, which I both don't really like, I suppose I drink all of those, though some more than others. 

• Like 1
The French Unicorn

I don't drink. I never liked the taste of alcohol.

• Like 3
Just now, Frenchace said:

I don't drink. I never liked the taste of alcohol.

same :) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Feds the Freds said:

Oh, it can get really pressuring. I never go out on party events so I'm sure others can feel even more pressured than me. But in school everyone and I mean EVERYONE demanded to try out a bit, even the teachers! I hated those eating out events in school camps...

Ah, yes. I'm sorry you experienced that pressure.

:) If it helps for me to clarify what I'd meant, I just was trying to help reassure underage members that, even if they come across all of the recent threads on AVEN that ask about drinking, that not all adults do that, in case there might be underage members who might not be interested in that, but might get the impression it might be something they might have to force themselves to do or try when they're older.

I felt that pressure, a bit, when I was younger.

• Like 1

I don't drink, mainly because alcohol doesn't play well with the psych meds I am on (bipolar)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

NA moscato wine is better than the real thing IMO, and you can drink it during the day.

I mean, some of us pop open the Moscato during the day...

I prefer beer, I'll drink wine, and the harder stuff I'll only have as ingredients in cocktails, and I don't have these as often. I've cut down on my drinking recently, like, two days ago I had my first beer in two weeks (because it was one of the only times I went out in these weeks, I had exams so I was studying for these) but before I did that I made extra sure that the girl I was out with was okay with me drinking because she was much like me when it came to alcohol.

I don't feel like I need alcohol anymore, so that's nice, but it's still neat to have some every once in a while. And I think that's okay.

I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to the taste of alcohol. Only things I'll drink are hard seltzers. 

Mostly I drink beer but I do enjoy a Vodka Cranberry and Rum and Coke. I do drink wine occasionally but It's far from my favorite. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, alto said:

I don't drink, mainly because alcohol doesn't play well with the psych meds I am on (bipolar)

I've limited my drinking because of epilepsy meds, the ones I am on affect me on the way that I get drunk really fast. And the feeling is not always nice.

• Like 1

I recently turned 21 but I prefer caffeinated beverages. A good glass of whiskey or a wine here and there ain’t bad though

• Like 2

I used to drink half a shotglass  red fruit wine with low alcoholic content once in a while. I don't drink beer at all. I did drink 1 glass old brown beer like once 10 years ago? I'd love to try gin someday and then just once, just to see how it tastes like. I also used to drink maybe a few sips Amaretto or baileys like, once every two years, maybe? I'm personally not a huge drinker and I can do just fine without it.

I even use alcoholfree mouthwash. I have never been drunk and I'm not planning to get drunk as I'm quite a boring and a very, very picky drinker. I'm drinking even lesser now I have meds that won't allow me to drink alcohol.

I like Beer and Ceasars,and fruit Ciders (to a slightly smaller extent).

The last 2 weren't on the list so I thought to mention :P
I don't like strong drinks, but since vodka is part of Ceasars, I ticked yes for it. I ticked 'other' for Martinis and Margarita because I wanted to try them. Since there's olives in martinis I feel like I kinda have to try that one at least :P.  (I like olives)

I don't drink often now, and when I do it's mostly just 1 or 2 drinks.