Would you gaze deeply into the eyes of a close friend?

binary suns

windows of the soul  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Gaze or nah?

• I'd gaze totally assuming they want it or are ok with it
    • idk I would be happy locking eyes with a friend but idk about this "deeply" part or "gaze" part or "over a long period of time" part
    • I mean, I look people in their eye when they talk. Not into anything more than that outside with a long term relationship partner
    • no, don't look anyone in the eye ever
    • it depends
    • something else
    • abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

so like if I like someone I'd be cool looking into their eyes,  but usually I have to remind myself to look into people's eyes when talking and otherwise avoid eye to eye contact

• Like 2

I'm really bad at looking people in the eyes, but I'd do my best for my bestie 💛💛💛

👁👁

• Like 2

Only if I was trying to hypnotise them. 

• Like 3

im not an eye-contact person, i usually do it bc that's what ppl do

i hate lookin ppl in the eyes, it makes me feel weird inside

i'd never hold that stance unless it was a staring contest

• Like 2
StarryNightAllAlone

This doesn't apply to my situation because my friends are online, but I make occasional eye contact with people in person. I wouldn't feel comfortable staring deeply into a friend's eyes.

How much will I be paid for doing so?  And do I have to keep a straight face?  :P

• Like 3

I doubt it. I'm fine looking people in the eye briefly/intermittently as we speak, but I can't see any reason to stare deeply into their eyes. I mean, I don't just sit and do that under normal circumstances with romantic partners either. I think I've really only done it for any noticeable length of time during sex because it's part of the whole intimacy of the situation. It feels pretty intense to me, so I'm not sure why I would stare into the eyes of a platonic friend in a non-romantic or non-sexual situation. I feel like it would make the situation a bit weird and they'd wonder what was going on.

the idea sounds lovely, but I don't think I'd be able to in real life.

I guess if my friend was also on board, and we were both "gazing deeply" then maybe yeah!

my mum and my sibling are the only people I can make intense eye contact with and not feel uncomfortable so I basically do it with them all the time

I have trained almost my entire life in the art of maintaining eye contact. After all that time, I can now do so with only minor difficulty. Though it’s exhausting and I’m really not the sort to stare creepily at my friends, so that kind of thing would probably only happen if they outright said, “gaze into my eyes.” The sheer strangeness of such a request would oblige me to comply. 

I find it very difficult to look people in the eye, generally it makes me feel uncomfortable and intimidated. I certainly wouldn't gaze into the eyes of a close friend, or anyone else.

Even if I'm having a formal conversation with someone like a teacher or another classmate, it's hard for me to maintain eye contact, usually because either they end up looking somewhere else or because I end up feeling awkward about it. 

If it's with a friend though, I would only be able to stare into their eyes for a long time if it's for a staring contest, other than that I just don't like eye contact in general.

Eye contact is hard for me, but much easier if I feel close to the person. I voted "it depends," because even though I can see it in theory, are we talking a couple of minutes or much longer? If it was a really long time I wouldn't even be able to do that with my partner without feeling weird. A few minutes, sure.

• Like 1

I'd consider that romantic (if it's longer than a few seconds). So, usually not with friends, though I guess I can stay open to that it's possible with someone I feel close to that with them or something.

Just to be clearer, I don't consider maintaining eye contact while talking to be gazing. That's just normal attention to me.

• Like 1

As a side note, I noticed that it's a bit jarring to maintain eye contact with someone who doesn't usually do it. 
Like all of a sudden looking at me when I'm used to them not doing that.

• Like 1
ChipmunksBeCute
On 9/16/2022 at 9:14 AM, hois said:

so like if I like someone I'd be cool looking into their eyes,  but usually I have to remind myself to look into people's eyes when talking and otherwise avoid eye to eye contact

Me too.

But if a friend dared me to a staring contest...

Game On 😈

• Like 1
Blue eyes white dragon

I hardly even gaze into my bf's eyes, it's weird for me. I will stare people down to assert power and I will look intensely in people's eyes if they are giving me directions 

• Like 1

I usually have no problem looking at people's eyes when I talk to them. It makes me focus on what they say, and if I'm the one talking and they're reciprocating the look (even if I usually look away when I talk it helps me finding the right words) I feel like they're really listening to me. It happened, to maintain eye contact with a friend for a longer period of time, but it didn't really mean anything to me? I don't know.

I had some trouble with my last "crush" because I thought that looking too much into her eyes could get me caught. Maybe I'm the opposite. Maybe I can keep eye contact with people but not with people I have feelings for, I get flustered instead.

Eyes are one of the ways to read people and what they're not saying out loud. I used to be averse to it but now it's just a common thing for me to do. And it's consistently fascinating how we're able to convey and understand information through eye contact alone in some cases. So, yes, I would.

• Like 1
a little annihilation

only if they were telling me something serious and I wanted them to know I'm for sure listening

• Like 2

The second option. My best friend will lock eyes with me to share how they're feeling without words. They have very lovely eyes when they're happy : ) That's as far as I'll go. I think I recall us playing a card game once and the challenge was to stare into each other's eyes for some amount of time. I'm pretty sure I gave up on that one quick. It takes a lot just to look people in the eyes when I realize I'm looking to their side when we're speaking. That's more than enough for me. If it's someone I'm with, however, I will gladly gaze deeply into their eyes for hours on end. 

Yes, it depends what we're talking about. Sometimes it just feels right. Very rare though. Much more frequent when I'm in love and in a relationship. Which is also rare lol!

• 2 weeks later...
CureoftheDay

When I'm talking about something serious, yes. Otherwise, locking gazes is more of a joke with my close friends. We use it to try to communicate without words (it usually fails, but it's fun nonetheless). But since I have to be very close to a person to feel comfortable looking into their eyes, it takes me a long time to notice eye colour. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
enfysiridescent

Eye contact typically makes me uncomfortable in general

• 11 months later...

@binary suns

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator