I like my friend, but I don’t think I can be with her

Not related to ace relationships really, but still related to relationships.

So, just for context, I’m transmasc (they/he/it) and my friend is a cis girl. We’re both in high school. We’ve know each other for about 11 years at this point, and I’ve suddenly developed feelings for her. She knows about me being trans, so her being straight wouldn’t be an issue, that I’m aware. The problem is that I’m not out yet. I live in a very conservative area of the U.S., so I’ve only told a few close friends. If I were to peruse a relationship with her, it’d have to be a secret to avoid harassment and being outed to my family and our school. I don’t want to put anyone through that. I really like her though. Is there anything I could do, or should I just wait it out until I lose feelings?

• Like 1

That is though. You could always talk to her though, check if she even feels the same way and wants to walk this way with you.

That would be my first recommendation in this case. If she does want to he with you, then see what you can do together afterwards, but if you haven't taken that first step your question seems a wee bit pointless. Sorry if that sounds a tad crass but well. No point in worrying about what ifs, when there might never be a relationship in the first place. 

If she does want a relationship, well, putting two heads together to plan what to do are better than a single one.

• Like 1

If she already knows that you are transmasc, she is keeping a secret for you already, right? I see no problem with telling her how you feel and letting her make up her own mind about whether she wants a relationship under these circumstances.

Keep in mind that just because you identify as transmasc and she identifies as straight does not mean that she will have romantic feelings for you. Straight woman don't fall in love with every cis man, so why would they fall in love with every transmasc person? After 11 years of platonic friendship starting in childhood, it is possible she thinks of you like a sibling. So, she might not be interested in a relationship anyway. If she is interested, having to keep the relationship discreet may or may not be a deal breaker for her, or for you.