Next Step for Pamphlets (my bad!)

AVENguy

(Please realize that I am exhausted and jet-lagged so this won't be polished and it will definitely need verification. It might even need to be tossed out completely!)

If you need more text, how about something like this:

Some common misunderstandings about asexuality:

Asexuality is a sexual disorder.

If it causes the person no distress and does not affect their ability to function in society then it fails to meet the definition of "disorder."

Asexuals are often victims of past abuse or they have some sort of hormone imbalance.

Many surveys of the asexual community have addressed these ideas, and there has been no indication of any connection. Most asexuals are physically normal and have no history of sexual abuse.

Asexuality is probably just a symptom of another abnormal mental condition.

In some cases it can be related to other conditions, like Aspberger's syndrome, but it frequently occurs by itself. Even when it IS linked with other conditions it needs to be recognized in its own right, since most of those conditions cannot be treated effectively.

Asexuals are sexually repressed, perhaps by overly strict parents or a conservative religious background.

Asexuality is not the same as sexual repression. One is innate, the other is imposed.

Asexuality is a modern invention that has no historical basis.

Actually, although it wasn't called asexuality, a lack of interest in sex for its own sake has been seen as a sign of virtue throughout much of recorded human history. Asexuals are usually quite capable of having sex and many of them DO want children. They don't have to enjoy sex in order to do so.

Asexuals just haven't met the "right" person yet.

This has to be included since it is such a common response, but perhaps it should be noted that the "right" person for the majority of asexuals might very well be asexual too!

Asexuality is abnormal and is never seen in nature.

Disregarding the most successful social species on earth, such as ants and bees, where the majority of the individuals are asexual, it is still relatively easy to find examples of perfectly healthy yet asexual individuals in animal species which are normally sexual. It has been well-documented in rats, sheep, and horses, just to name a few examples.

This fact alone should debunk many of the common misunderstandings that surround asexuality.

I realize that this is repetitious of things that have already been said - just presented in a slightly different way.

I have no idea if this form helps or hinders understanding, though.

*searches for missing brain*

If any of this is helpful at all, feel free to use it or adapt it as you wish, but I won't mind if you toss it out if it isn't useful. Or ... um ... if I am repeating something that I read elsewhere without even realizing it.

Yeah, it happens more and more often nowadays. :roll:

-GB

Asexuality is probably just a symptom of another abnormal mental condition.

In some cases it can be related to other conditions, like Aspberger's syndrome, but it frequently occurs by itself. Even when it IS linked with other conditions it needs to be recognized in its own right, since most of those conditions cannot be treated effectively.

That makes it sound like there is a definite causal link between autism and asexuality (and that autism is a disease rather than a difference with positives and negatives). There appears to be a correlation between autism and atypical orientations (including asexuality), although it may or may not be causal (I suspect that part of it may be because autistics are less likely to pretend to be sexual to live up to society's expectations).

(and "Asperger's" doesn't have a "b" in it)

Guest Heligan
Asexuality is NOT:

- celibacy

- androgyny

- sexual repression or aversion

- sexual dysfunction

- loss of libido due to age or circumstance

- fear of intimacy

- the inability to find a partner

If we are defining asexuality as not experiencing sexual attraction, Im not sure we can just rule out some of these things (Ive highlighted them in bold in quote).

Its taking the nature side over nurture and I dont think its that clear cut.

Also I dont really see how anyone can then say for sure that they are asexual; if its not just down to experiencing sexual attraction.Theres always going to be the 'maybe you are...whatever' come back.

We need to be able to say 'Maybe there are reasons yes but it still doesnt change the fact I dont experience sexual attraction, and find the idea of trying to change that unpalatable.'

I also think there needs to be something in there about the fluidity of sexuality... you know it being possible to go from sexual to asexual or vice versa just like its possible to go from straight to gay etc.

That might also help stop the claims that we are somehow trying to pigeon hole those too young to know for sure.

I know what you're getting at in the pamphlet when it's said that asexuality isn't androgyny - that asexuality isn't the same as androgyny - but it just kinda seems to imply that androgynous people aren't asexuals. Which then seems to be contradicted when it's said asexuals can be of all genders.

I know I'm just making a mountain out of of a molehill here, but perhaps it would be better to say, in the asexuality is not section, something like 'another word for androgyny', or 'isn't the same as androgyny'...

I also think there needs to be something in there about the fluidity of sexuality... you know it being possible to go from sexual to asexual or vice versa just like its possible to go from straight to gay etc.

That might also help stop the claims that we are somehow trying to pigeon hole those too young to know for sure.

I totally agree with you, but having this issue in the pamphlet brings up a whole new can of worms that might be beyond its scope. We could probably do a whole pamphlet about fluidity of sexuality alone. Is there a place in the pamphlet where we could fit that in without opening up too many other issues?

I think that talking about the fluidity of asexuality will only encourage those who will insist that it is only a phase and refuse to believe otherwise.

I really don't see how it would be helpful, especially in a pamphlet designed to encourage the acceptance of asexuality instead of its dismissal as just another name for late bloomers.

I will also state that it is my opinion (and only my opinion) that a person who thinks they are asexual and then later decides they aren't was never truly asexual in the first place.

Much as we hate to hear the old cliche's, it IS very possible that they just hadn't met the right person yet, or that they were, indeed, late bloomers.

It DOES happen sometimes, after all.

I'm not in ANY way trying to invalidate any person's self-understanding, but, it is not only possible, but likely, that one's feelings about a wide variety of things will change as one acquires more life experience.

Future changes, if they occur, won't invalidate what is happening now. Instead, changes will (or should) lead to greater understanding and acceptance of oneself and, hopefully, some compassion toward others who might be having similar experiences.

-GB

Hey everyone, I started in on the layout tonight--GBRD, thanks for the additional bullets! I added the ones I felt hadn't been explicitly touched on yet, and there's definitely enough (varied) content now to make a full looking and sounding pamphlet. Thanks again!

I'll try and have them posted up by tomorrow, but I guarantee nothing, as it is my last week here in San Fran for a very long time, and I'm going to try and see as many friends as I can before I disappear back North...

Guest Heligan
I think that talking about the fluidity of asexuality will only encourage those who will insist that it is only a phase and refuse to believe otherwise.

I really don't see how it would be helpful, especially in a pamphlet designed to encourage the acceptance of asexuality instead of its dismissal as just another name for late bloomers.

I will also state that it is my opinion (and only my opinion) that a person who thinks they are asexual and then later decides they aren't was never truly asexual in the first place.

Much as we hate to hear the old cliche's, it IS very possible that they just hadn't met the right person yet, or that they were, indeed, late bloomers.

It DOES happen sometimes, after all.

I'm not in ANY way trying to invalidate any person's self-understanding, but, it is not only possible, but likely, that one's feelings about a wide variety of things will change as one acquires more life experience.

Future changes, if they occur, won't invalidate what is happening now. Instead, changes will (or should) lead to greater understanding and acceptance of oneself and, hopefully, some compassion toward others who might be having similar experiences.

-GB

I am specifically concerned about the sexual to asexual transistion though!

We seem to be choosing in favour of allowing the young to pigeon hole themselves but leaving us older folk out in cold fighting the idea that because we like sex once we must now be broken or hormonally imbalanced if we arent still gagging for it.

It is entirely my point that, as you say ....

Future changes, if they occur, won't invalidate what is happening now.

Asexuality is either defined by the definition of not experiencing sexual attraction or it is not. Sure the time scale thing is a problem as even sexuals dont experience it 24-7. But I think months and years do count as asexual phases. I really dont have a problem with phases.

I suppose if we want to make asexuality an identity rather than an orientation then that is different.

But frankly I think its a bit unhealthy to make it an identity anyway, and I think that is the concern of the people who argue with youngsters about them being 'late bloomers' etc. They are not against the idea of asexuality necessarily but are worried it will become embedded in the psychic of these youngster in such a way that to do anything but stick with it will somehow invalidate their identity.

I'm sure that the issues people have, and to some extent I have with myself, about once having been sexual are similar concern tied up with the unacceptance/cultural bias-shock.

It is VERY disconcerting to notice that you no longer appear to be sexual. To test yourself by trying to find people you would have fancied previously and still feel nothing. To look at your life for things that could have caused it. To ponder the broken thing over and over. To wonder about counselling or just forcing yourself to do it. Or God, even to try to force yourself to do it. And still to not feel what you used to feel. At present unless people come to the site and read the description here, then they are not even going to think its possible to go from sexual to asexual... even if they know about asexuality.

http://www.asexuality.org/home/index.php?o...6&Itemid=28

Most people on AVEN have been asexual for our entire lives. Just as people will rarely and unexpectedly go from being straight to gay, asexual people will rarely and unexpectedly become sexual or vice versa. Another small minority will think of themselves as asexual for a brief period of time while exploring and questioning their own sexuality.

There is no litmus test to determine if someone is asexual. Asexuality is like any other identity- at its core, it’s just a word that people use to help figure themselves out. If at any point someone finds the word asexual useful to describe themselves, we encourage them to use it for as long as it makes sense to do so.

Personally I think all we can do is present as full a version of the truth as we can and accept that people are going to argue and demean us anyway; if they are so inclined, due to their gut reaction to the idea of asexuality...and out of concern for the restricted life options for those they care about.

I remember a tv show about homosexuality interviewing parents. Several of them said, first thing they thought when they found out was 'Oh so Im not going to be a grandparent, shortly followed by concerns about the homophobia in society and the loneliness dangers that come with unconventional lifestyle'.

I suppose Im saying these reactions about being late bloomers, phases etc they are coping strategies and concern.

Dismissing human concern and compassion is certainly not possible no matter how good the pamphlet is.... and Im not sure it would be a good aim anyway.

Correct me if Im wrong but arent we just trying to give the facts here and let people think about it.

Heligan, you raise some good points, but the thing is, those points aren't quick topics for a brief chunk of information. When someone suddenly looses their sexual desire, there are a great many questions to be asked, and it becomes a discussion topic to be had on an individual basis, not something that can be easily generalized into a bullet point on a pamphlet... We have tried to be as inclusive of the issue as possible, but it is a really delicate ground to cover. As you said, we should be as factual as possible, and in terms of suddenly becoming asexual, more studies point to age, decreased hormones, or some sort of environmental influence than a flux in sexuality.

For you, it is a valid concern, and for you it is the case, but you are in the minority of asexuals, and if we make mention of every minority and every special case, we'll have ourself a booklet, not a pamphlet. However, you may find that the bullets we're including may be a bit more inclusive of your situation. If you have a suggestion for another bullet to add, do make mention of it, and I'll see if we can include it.

Okay, everyone, as promised, an example layout:

http://www.take-flight.net/pictures/AVEN-p...lets-inside.jpg

I can change anything about it, and if you catch any spelling mistakes, let me know! Adobe doesn't have a spell-checker.

I'll try and post the outside view later tonight.

EDIT: Okay, I've done what I can with the outside:

http://www.take-flight.net/pictures/AVEN-p...ets-outside.jpg

There's still a panel to be filled... I don't want to be redundant, but normally that side is reserved for bullets on all the informational pamphlets I have in my possession... Any new ideas for what to put there would be appreciated.

Ooh, awesome! The colors look really professional. As for the last panel, how about "fun facts" or something like that? The rest of the pamphlet is very serious (as it should be), so it might be nice to have a more light-hearted section. Now, and forgive me for my low-techiness, but how would I print this out so it's a regular 2-sided thing?

(Although, seeing as Thomas killed my printer, it may be a moot point...)

That is a massive improvement in style! Well done.

Here are my thoughts to take or leave.

General points

- big blocks of uniform colour (or black) need high quality printers to look professional. I suggest you just have the colour on the cover in a band behind the actual words rather than all over in case some people don't have access to good printers.

- I think the general font size could be increased to the size used in the list of bullet points and the between-line spacing could be increased. I think that would actually be easier to read rather than just looking like you're trying to fill the page.

- The back text about AVEN could also be bigger.

- The definition text on the front could also be bigger.

- I think there has been discussion previously which said the logo is supposed to be shaded rather than just a black tip.

- The hyphens in teh lists could be bullets so they are stronger

Corrections

- I think the font size of 'what is asexuality' is bigger than the other titles and this looks like a mistake

- In 'Is asexuality the same as abstinence....' you have 'forum' instead of 'form'.

- in the first point of 'asexual people may:', make the second line align with the start of teh sentence rather than the hyphen

Specific suggestions

- would 'not everyone is interested in sex' be better? 'Looking for' conjures up images of sexuals out hunting for it.

- paragraph 'what is asexuality'

you now have 'understanding' and 'this pamphlet' twice. Either re-word one of the sentences or delete the first sentence containing these.

add a comma so it is 'might be asexual, or know you are not, we hope...'

- paragraph 'is asexuality a disorder'

I have a problem with this section. I know this is the psychiatric definition of a disorder but actually applying it in practice is difficult - the concept of causing harm is not as simple as it seems. An asexual might feel they do have a problem but the point is that arises from social expectations rather than anything intrinsic. A manic person may not see themselves as suffering but they are still considered to have a disorder. (see below for suggestion)

- paragraph 'is asexuality caused by...'

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I don't think we can really say asexuals aren't any more likely than anyone else to have a hormone imbalance because that hasn't been studied. All we know is that some asexuals are within normal ranges. (see below for suggestion)

- perhaps you could replace the 'disorder' and 'causes' paragraphs with the following (bearing in mind the list ' what asexuality is not' covers disorders (which would incl hormones) and responses to abuse (a cause of repression/aversion))

What causes asexuality?

The causes of asexuality are unknown. There have been few scientific studies of asexuality because people who do not experience sexual attraction have only recently spoken up to ask for recognition alongside hetero-, homo- and bisexuals. In the recent past, homosexuality was considered to be a disorder. Now doctors accept it is a minority sexual orientation although we don't yet know why some people are homosexual. There is still much to discover about all aspects of human sexuality, including asexuality.

- paragraph 'how does asexuality relate to other sexual orientations'

I think using 'sexual orientations' rather than ' sexual identities' in the heading is confusing becuase you talk about romantic orientations. An asexual who has a straight identity has a straight romantic orientiation not a straight sexual orientation.

Is it correct to include 'trans' in that list since the list is based on romantic attraction rather than gender identity. Perhaps it would be better to have an additional sentence which could also include androgynous people to cover Alseki's point. For example, after '..attracted to anyone' add 'Male, female, trans and androgynous people can identify as asexual.'.

- how about some quotes in big quotation marks for the back (no names or pics required). I've given some examples to represent a range of experiences. There are other good quotes on AVEN but you need to make sure they make sense in the context of the leaflet and don't raise new issues etc.

"I am in my thirties but have never been attracted to anyone. When my friends started fancying each other, I thought they were just pretending in order to look cool. I slowly realised they were talking about emotions I didn't feel. I knew I was different and we grew apart. When I learnt about asexuality I instantly knew I was asexual and, after years of thinking I was a freak, I had finally discovered some people who could understand me."

"I have had many girlfriends and slept with quite a lot of them. Although I liked hugging, I never felt sex would add anything to the relationship and only did it because I thought that's what everyone does. I did have counselling but nothing felt right and now I realise I am asexual and would like to marry another asexual so we can build a loving relationship on our own terms."

"When we were taught about asexuality at high school, I thought asexuals must really have something wrong with them. Now I have a friend who says he is asexual and we have had some really interesting conversations. He has made me think about all the different aspects of my own intimate relationships and I am now less quick to judge people who are different from me."

(I haven't got time to re-read this so I hope I said what I meant to say!)

Responses to other comments

- I think it is good to keep everything as questions rather than have a long list of misunderstandings. The latter is dangerous becuase if the text is too long, people don't automatically see the title with the misunderstanding and just read 'asexuality is abnormal...'. We don't want inadvertent subliminal messages!

- I agree with the people who say it needs to be kept simple. We can't cite references or go into extended discussion so it's best to steer clear of Aspergers, history, animals and fluidity.

- I don't think the list implies androgynous people can't be asexual. I do read it as 'asexuality [is not the same as] celibacy/androgyny' etc. so there's no need to clutter the list by writing that.

- I agree the definition of asexuality as 'absence of sexual attraction' could include people who are sexually repressed, have lost their sex drive due to age or a medical condition etc. However, I don't have a problem with the 'not' list because I see asexualtiy as an orientation equivalent to hetero-, homo- and bisexuality and think it therefore has causes much deeper than repression etc. The exclusions in the list are effectively refining the soundbite definition. People who aren't 'hard-core' asexuals may still relate to that identity and that's fine, but if we present the concept of asexuality as all-encompassing it loses its validity as an orientation and becomes a miscellaneous group of people who don't want sex.

Reply to Heligan (anything to do with 'lost gardens of....?')

I seem to have a different understanding of 'identity' and 'orientation'. To me the former is much more subject to change than the latter. I think orientation very rarely changes but people may have various experiences as they work out what their orientation is. Identity is just how people present themselves to the world and is very much a choice. Maybe others will disagree with my interpretation?

If someone has stopped experiencing sexual attraction, I would have thought the key thing they can get from the leaflet is that there are other people out there who are OK and also don't experience sexual attraction. How they got to that position would be less important. I think relatively few people would accept that people readily change from hetero- to homosexual and vice versa so a change from sexual to asexual or vice versa would also be hard to accept. Given that a key message to get across is that this is a vaild but unrecognised orientation, it is essential not to risk confusion with conditions that are already well-known (by doctors if not by the public).

Looks nice, Cole! Some suggestions re:layout--

The inside is pretty text-heavy, while the outside is really sparse. I'd move 1/3 of the FAQ type questions to the empty panel and spread the others out more between the panels they're on. echidna once suggested putting in some simple daisy outlines that could be printed b/w or in color, and I agree it'd be good to have some very basic graphics like that to help break it up visually and add visual interest.

I'm really happy with it as a start, though. Thanks so much for the work you've put in so far, and for sharing it with us.

Nice to see it moving foward, good job!

Hey everyone, thanks for getting back to me!

Echidna: Thank you for your detailed response... I'll try and answer every point you've raised, but if I miss one, please bring it up again...

- The cover's colour: I am only displaying the "professional quality" pamphlet. When the layout and text of this pamphlet is finalized, I am going to make another version, grey-scale, for people to print at home. The cover page will not have a coloured background.

- Font size: The font size is size 12, and this font prints as a big font. If you have legal size paper, try printing a test run. You'll see that the font is the standard size for documents. If I was to increase the size, I would have to reformat the entire pamphlet. If this is really a problem, I will redo it, but it will take hours, and I'm feeling a bit burnt out right now, so I'd really only like to do something like that if everyone finds the size unworkable.

- The thing with the definition on the front: Jaybird721 and I were discussing this, but the two titles (Asexuality and the Asexual:) are a bit distracting from one another. If anything, the "Asexual" title should be smaller to be less distracting, but what we thought would work better was if we moved that text off the title page entirely. Thoughts?

- The AVEN triangle: I just copied the AANZ pamphlets on this one. It's not a quick fix; I'll get to it when I have time, though from a printing position, I think, while technically incorrect, it will print better as is.

- Dashes vs Bullets: I'm working in Adobe Photoshop, and they have VERY limited stylizing features. If I can change this, I will, but I would caution not to hold your breath on it...

- The larger text on "What is Asexuality?": It isn't a mistake. This is the main point and the introduction bullet, so I wanted to make this title bigger. Should I go for another size up, or should I just make it standard size with all the others?

- I corrected my typos and changed the alignments to the best of Photoshop's abilities...

- The tagline on the front: I agree with you; I edited it.

- Edited the first paragraph's redundancy.

Now, for this section:

- paragraph 'is asexuality a disorder'

I have a problem with this section. I know this is the psychiatric definition of a disorder but actually applying it in practice is difficult - the concept of causing harm is not as simple as it seems. An asexual might feel they do have a problem but the point is that arises from social expectations rather than anything intrinsic. A manic person may not see themselves as suffering but they are still considered to have a disorder. (see below for suggestion)

- paragraph 'is asexuality caused by...'

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I don't think we can really say asexuals aren't any more likely than anyone else to have a hormone imbalance because that hasn't been studied. All we know is that some asexuals are within normal ranges. (see below for suggestion)

- perhaps you could replace the 'disorder' and 'causes' paragraphs with the following (bearing in mind the list ' what asexuality is not' covers disorders (which would incl hormones) and responses to abuse (a cause of repression/aversion))

What causes asexuality?

The causes of asexuality are unknown. There have been few scientific studies of asexuality because people who do not experience sexual attraction have only recently spoken up to ask for recognition alongside hetero-, homo- and bisexuals. In the recent past, homosexuality was considered to be a disorder. Now doctors accept it is a minority sexual orientation although we don't yet know why some people are homosexual. There is still much to discover about all aspects of human sexuality, including asexuality.

- paragraph 'how does asexuality relate to other sexual orientations'

I think using 'sexual orientations' rather than ' sexual identities' in the heading is confusing becuase you talk about romantic orientations. An asexual who has a straight identity has a straight romantic orientiation not a straight sexual orientation.

Is it correct to include 'trans' in that list since the list is based on romantic attraction rather than gender identity. Perhaps it would be better to have an additional sentence which could also include androgynous people to cover Alseki's point. For example, after '..attracted to anyone' add 'Male, female, trans and androgynous people can identify as asexual.'.

Good points. I'm interested in hearing everyone's suggestions on this; spinneret, GBRD, anyone else, thoughts?

In regards to the quotes: I really don't want to do quotes, but... If everyone would rather do quotes, then I guess we can go ahead with that.

What causes asexuality?

I quite like that.

What causes asexuality?

I quite like that.

I agree.

Guest Heligan
Reply to Heligan (anything to do with 'lost gardens of....?')

I seem to have a different understanding of 'identity' and 'orientation'. To me the former is much more subject to change than the latter. I think orientation very rarely changes but people may have various experiences as they work out what their orientation is. Identity is just how people present themselves to the world and is very much a choice. Maybe others will disagree with my interpretation?

If someone has stopped experiencing sexual attraction, I would have thought the key thing they can get from the leaflet is that there are other people out there who are OK and also don't experience sexual attraction. How they got to that position would be less important. I think relatively few people would accept that people readily change from hetero- to homosexual and vice versa so a change from sexual to asexual or vice versa would also be hard to accept. Given that a key message to get across is that this is a vaild but unrecognised orientation, it is essential not to risk confusion with conditions that are already well-known (by doctors if not by the public).

Umm, Ok lets see if we can shed any light on what these terms are thought to mean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_orientation

Sexual identity may be used as a synonym for sexual orientation, but the two are also sometimes distinguished, with identity referring to an individual's conception of themselves, and orientation referring to "fantasies, attachments and longings"[1] and/or behavior. In addition, sexual identity is sometimes used to describe a person's perception of his or her own sex, rather than sexual orientation. The term sexual preference has a similar meaning to sexual orientation, but is more commonly used outside of scientific circles by people who believe that sexual orientation is, in whole or part, a matter of choice.

I suppose the whole thing is a bit fuzzy really in psychology we were taught that its possible (and probably likely) that the idea we all have about this coherent self that travels through a lifetime, is pretty much rubbish. That it is a cognitive illusion. So thats pretty much a head shot to my def of identity if so; not sure what it does to orientation! lol

As for the fluidity of sexuality issues, I can see that it is threatening in a way to asexuality; but frankly no more than it is to sexuality and its variations. But I am starting to feel marginalised by your comments so Im going to back out of this before it gets to be an issue for me.

Heligan - I'm really sorry if I made you feel marginalised. It's so difficult to talk about ideas in general without upsetting individuals with minority experiences. Please accept I am not questionning your own identity/orientation at all.

Thanks for that quote from the wiki. Every time I think I've understood something, I discover there's another perspective I've missed.

Coleslaw - I agree you should only change the font size/spacing if others find it dense. I had it A4 which might make a difference, and perhaps it is more the effect of being all text that is more important that font size.

I have some daisies in a word document so if you want to try sticking them in, perhaps you could pm me with your email address and I'll send them as an attachment. I envisaged two or three clusters with the text flowing round them, just to reduce the block-text effect. If others think that's silly, don't do it!

I think separating the phrases on teh front cover could be a good idea. Perhaps the asexual definition on the front and the 'not interested' one on the back?

I think the 'what is asexuality' heading font size should be changed - either to make it so much bigger it is obviously deliberate, or the same size as the others.

I know what you mean about the triangle - I confess that's what I did for the conference one. Perhaps someone can suggest a way of doing the proper one easily?

I'm fine with no quotes - it was just a thought for filling the space!

Thanks for perservering with this in photoshop. I didn't volunteer myself because I don't have a graphics package - I thought someone would have and could do it much more easily so good on you for volunteering even though you haven't either.

Happy New Year everyone.

Guest Heligan
Heligan - I'm really sorry if I made you feel marginalised. It's so difficult to talk about ideas in general without upsetting individuals with minority experiences. Please accept I am not questionning your own identity/orientation at all.

Yeah I understand that.... but you are right it is difficult to accept changes to sexuality and I am on and off the fence with it enough myself to know that!

Ive actually just gone and looked frigid up again to see if I missed something before I found this site....... but its still seems to be about libido!! lol

Nevermind As I say Im going to try to back off from this........I just came back to see if there was anyway to stop watching a topic... and then could not resist looking at reply. No self control at all.

Heligan, I echo this... I want to see this pamphlet come across as inclusive, and I don't mean to come across as if your issues aren't important. If you have any suggestions for additions, please let me know! I'd love to work with you here.

Also, to everyone, I have started in on content editing... It'll be up shortly.

Wow! Cole, you are doing a fantastic job. I can imagine these in on glossy paper in a doctor's office and looking as good (if not better) than a pamphlet for Bayer's or Merck :D

I like the wording and haven't picked up any spelling mistakes apart from the ones already mentioned.

I don't know about the slightly larger font size for 'Asexual people may' and 'Asexuality is NOT'. Perhaps if you actually made it bigger then it might look more like you meant to do it. I think someone suggested it already and I agree, why not put this on the empty panel? That way you will also have a little space to play with.

Hey everyone!

Updates have been made; thoughts?

Inside:

http://www.take-flight.net/pictures/AVEN-p...lets-inside.jpg

Outside:

http://www.take-flight.net/pictures/AVEN-p...ets-outside.jpg

Me, personally? I found the daisies to be quite silly and a little on the girly side of things, but if there are no graphics, that white space is glaringly distracting... Any thoughts about the triangles? Any other ideas?

Just a few thoughts...

Inside:

• * If there's anything you could do about the wonky word spacing... but I know, most computer programs don't really do a good job with that at all.

* Don't know how I feel about the triangles. If you keep 'em, though, I'd suggest they point in, not out, so as to lead the eye... inward, to the text.

Outside:

• * Yay for getting rid of the double titling.

* For the "Asexual: person who..." bit, I'd take out the colon and hard right-justify the whole thing. The current justification sets it apart nicely, but the right edge is ragged and it'd be nice to have a clean edge there.

Inside:

* If there's anything you could do about the wonky word spacing... but I know' date=' most computer programs don't really do a good job with that at all.

* Don't know how I feel about the triangles. If you keep 'em, though, I'd suggest they point in, not out, so as to lead the eye... inward, to the text.[list']

Outside:

* Yay for getting rid of the double titling.

* For the "Asexual: person who..." bit, I'd take out the colon and hard right-justify the whole thing. The current justification sets it apart nicely, but the right edge is ragged and it'd be nice to have a clean edge there.

The word spacing is due to "justify"ing the text. There's nothing I can do, unless I make it all aligned to the left, but that looked far less clean than this. Personally, I don't think it looks wonky, but if others disagree, I'll just align it to the left and call it done.

I'll fix the colon issue now, though... Honestly, I was so bleary-eyed last night that I didn't even notice that. Thanks, jaybird!

That's brilliant! To the point. I'd be happy handing them to AberPride to give out at the Fresher's Fair next year.

One small thing however; 'There are also asexuals who identify as aromantic, or those who are not romantically attracted to anyone' could be confusing to some people. Perhaps 'There are also asexuals who identify as aromantic, as they are not romantically attracted to anyone'? Makes it clearer.

I think the triangles work well...although I agree that they would 'draw the eye' more if they were facing the opposite direction. But that's just a little thing. Overall it looks really good-- definitely going to pick up some new print cartridges so I can test it out!

Inside:

• * If there's anything you could do about the wonky word spacing... but I know' date=' most computer programs don't really do a good job with that at all.

* Don't know how I feel about the triangles. If you keep 'em, though, I'd suggest they point in, not out, so as to lead the eye... inward, to the text.[list']

Outside:

• * Yay for getting rid of the double titling.

The word spacing is due to "justify"ing the text. There's nothing I can do, unless I make it all aligned to the left, but that looked far less clean than this. Personally, I don't think it looks wonky, but if others disagree, I'll just align it to the left and call it done.

I'll fix the colon issue now, though... Honestly, I was so bleary-eyed last night that I didn't even notice that. Thanks, jaybird!

Yeah, crappy justify is no fun. I suspect that going through and hand spacing it would improve things a fair bit, but it wouldn't really be worth the effort.

Kay, update:

- Fixed the "ASEXUAL: ..." definition alignment

- Fixed the triangles.

- emmarainbow, I don't think that part needs to be edited, but, if anyone disagrees, I will definitely change it.

- jaybird, hand-spacing wouldn't do any good, as that would cause us to lose the clean side-lines of text... Personally, I don't see a problem with the justify, but, then again, if others think I should change it, I will.

I'm glad to see we're getting nit-picky now... Means we've got all the big concerns out of the way and can soon call it done.

So, everyone, perhaps I can safely call for final thoughts?

Archived