Would you stop for a stranger on the road?

I would be very cautious, but I did stop for someone once.  An older lady was at the side of the road after getting off a country bus.  She was quite agitated and trying to flag me down.  I stopped as she was old and on her own and it transpired that she had left her purse at home and been turned off the bus.  This was back in the days when buses very often had conductors who collected money for tickets after you had sat down and the bus could have travelled some distance from where you got on.  She was a long way from the stop near her home - especially as she was elderly, the walk back along the pavementless road would have been hard for her - so I drove her back to the original stop and she went home to get her purse and set off again, I assume.  So, it all depends, really.

Luckily I don't drive, because I would stop if I thought someone needed help, even though I have heard many horror stories. I have always put other before myself, I have jumped in cars to give directions (I have gotten into cars, directed them to their destination, and then got out and continued on with my day once they were where they were going. One of them actually dropped me off where I was headed as he only had a quick thing to do). I have always put others first, regardless of its affect on me, to the point I have ended up stranded in places several times and had to walk 6-8 hours home, or worse.

I am doing a lot better with not getting myself into these situations, simply by avoiding people (I am not good around people anyway). I now usually only go out with someone else so they stop me from doing anything that might be considered stupid or dangerous.

I can't drive and never will as I have to be reassessed medically every year to keep a license because of my mental health (I don't currently have a license), so I won't be in a position to stop for someone whilst driving.

• 1 month later...
a little annihilation

I wouldn't want stop because there's not much that I could do to help them. I care about people but I'm socially awkward and wouldn't know how to approach them or what to say and I don't think that I would be very useful. That being said I have been stranded in the middle of nowhere with two flat tires and no phone service and had to get help from a nice good Samaritan who stopped for me, and my grandparents just got me a bunch of survival stuff for my car for christmas so I'd probably stop and see if I could provide anything for them, granted I was not going to be late for something.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...