Never is too late

Hi everyone,

I am male and I am 45 years old. I am married to a woman I love, and I have two daughters, 4 and 7 years old.

My story is similar to that of many people around here.

I never fit the standards and thought something was wrong with me, but I kept it a secret and tried to manage this situation.

Obviously, this has caused pain to me and the woman I live with—a very important person in my journey, the mother of my daughters.

Only in the last few months have I decided - This is Enough! I need to understand what I am and be transparent with all these people I love. 

Get out of that place of performances, feeling inferior or different from everybody around me. I didn't want to play that role anymore.

So, through therapy, I went deeper into myself until I found this community.

I always thought: My daughters will not go through this. They will be who they are, whatever they want.

I think today, August 20th, is when I realized I am a Graysexual.

Reading everything here, I've already been touched and already laughed with joy. But, there is a lot for me to learn.

But definitely, I'm not in that previous place anymore.

A new world opened up in front of me.

• Like 2

Hi. Welcome! :cake:

:) Thanks, for sharing your journey; that's nice that you feel a new world has opened up. If you ever feel interested in chatting with others around your age, there's an Older Asexuals forum.

[a pic of a round, blue cake decorated as an ocean theme, with edible pearls on the side; topped with brown sugar--also at the base--(representing sand) and white chocolates molded into seashells and starfish.]

easy-beach-cake-500x500.jpg

• Like 1
Guest Invisible Pumpkin

Hi, Gurg, welcome to this community. You are very brave, and I applaud that you could speak of, as not everybody dares to, but it's good to be open to loved ones.

need-to-know-more

hi Gurg, it is nice to hear people’s stories.  Have you spoken to your family about this?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, need-to-know-more said:

hi Gurg, it is nice to hear people’s stories.  Have you spoken to your family about this?

Hi!

I told a childhood friend who is gay who thought I was repressing my desires. Still, it's hard for him to understand being very active.

And I started talking to my wife.

I am convinced that I found myself. I'm not a teacher but I help younger people in the design profession, and I already feel like I'm going to help more people by talking about this transition in an open way.

I will get to that point.

need-to-know-more

I recently came to the conclusion of being asexual - It is a tough thing to reconcile as a 50+ adult.  I have initiated counseling but have not started, and my wife and I are talking about it.  From what you have written, I am feeling you are pretty comfortable with who you are.  I wish I were as comfortable.

JustAnotherNerd

Hi and welcome! I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

a9e049392d375b7dd70a80c17e316956.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, need-to-know-more said:

I recently came to the conclusion of being asexual - Is a tough thing to reconcile as a 50+ adult.  I have initiated counseling but have not started, and my wife and I are talking about it.  From what you have written, I am feeling you are pretty comfortable with who you are.  I wish I were as comfortable.

I have so many clues that I'm graysexual that it's certainly a huge relief. but my conversation about it with an old good friend who is gay and an activist was the worst possible. He accused me of denying my desires and I was hugely disappointed in him. The oppression came from where I least expected it. But I am ready to go ahead.

need-to-know-more

that is tough.  I have not talked to anyone other than my wife.  I have a friend that i am  trying to out how to bring up the subject.  I am sorry your conversation did not go well.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, need-to-know-more said:

that is tough.  I have not talked to anyone other than my wife.  I have a friend that i am  trying to out how to bring up the subject.  I am sorry your conversation did not go well.

Thank you.

I think people who have sexual desire as normal, like thirst or hunger, don't understand what we feel.

I thought this friend of mine would be the first person to hug me, just like I hugged him when he told me he was gay when we were young.

Today I'm sad.

But more than ever, knowing what I am.

Welcome! I’m sorry you had a rough time with your friend, you deserve all the hugs in the world, and also cake, so I got you a hug in a mug cake :D 

wwrbp5a1ukr21.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@Gurg While I definitely didn't go thru what you have, finding out about asexuality back in 2005 was a big relief. I was never sexually active  (I'm still a virgin a 60) and knowing this explained why.