Opinions on Rafflesia

Synchronicity

I hate them. ☹️  Rafflesia (raff-leez-ee-a'a) is the largest flower in nature; they're parasitic, grow on the ground and smell of rotting flesh to attract flies.  When they've finished flowering, they rot into a black mass as if they've been burnt (which is what I want to do to them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafflesia

Viewers of Stranger Things might recognise them as the head of the demogorgon.

Purple Red Panda

I think they sound kind of cool. I remember seeing a photo of one decades ago when I was a child and being very impressed that the giant rotting flesh smelling flower was a thing that existed.

• Like 1

I think they're pretty cool - so long as they're not in my irl life!! 🤩🤢

• Like 1
Captain_Tass

If rafflesia can have the audacity to exist, so can I

(Yeah, I fully realise that plants just exist so we can't ascribe intent to them, and I feel the need to point that out because I went on a bit about how I don't think anthropomorphizing non-human beings is a particularly accurate way of viewing the world in the dolphin thread, but eh, I'm just having a bit of fun right now)

Synchronicity

It seems that most people don't hate them, but they freak me out something rotten. ☹️

nanogretchen4

I am curious whether you have had close encounters with Rafflesia that have inspired your hatred. For example, are you trying to grow the genus of grape vines they infest parasitically? Do a lot of them grow near your house and stink up the whole neighborhood? When you go for a walk do you often step in a black mass of rotten Rafflesia?

• Like 1