Opinions on Dolphins (T.W.?)

Synchronicity

I don't like them: you can't trust anything that smiles all the time.  Beyond that, they torment other sealife, they rape (including whales' blowholes), and females pleasure themselves and each other. ☹️

They must be having a whale of a time, though.  What are your opinions?

StarryNightAllAlone

I used to like them before I discovered their dark natures. Now I see the sinister truth hiding behind their seemingly innocent and charming grins. They can join chimps on my evil animals list. (Just kidding.) They're a little too humanlike for my liking.

• Like 2

There are over 905 Pokemon.

There are Pokemon based on all kinds of animals, birds and insects.

There are Pokemon based on ice cream, candles and bags of garbage.

There are no Pokemon based on dolphins. 

I think that says it all TBH.

• Like 4
Captain_Tass

Things that make me feel warmly towards dolphins:

20 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

females pleasure themselves and each other

Things that do not make me feel warmly towards dolphins:

21 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

they torment other sealife, they rape (including whales' blowholes)

Shitposting aside, dolphins are animals and, though I get the reasons behind anthropomorphizing animals, judging them through our own lens of morality, judging their facial expressions as sole signals of body language and communication and ascribing intent to their actions in the same way as we do for ourselves and other people... it's unhelpful, because we're talking about animals here. One can't hold animals to human standards. (Yeah I'm still mad about the dolphin house, what the absolute shit was that.)

• Like 4
Synchronicity
30 minutes ago, StarryNightAllAlone said:

They can join chimps on my evil animals list. (Just kidding.) They're a little too humanlike for my liking.

I agree about chimps!  They're awful – so violent! 😃

18 minutes ago, Life Of Tass said:

Shitposting aside, dolphins are animals and, though I get the reasons behind anthropomorphizing animals, judging them through our own lens of morality, judging their facial expressions as sole signals of body language and communication and ascribing intent to their actions in the same way as we do for ourselves and other people... it's unhelpful, because we're talking about animals here.

I should have altered my original post: One can't trust an animal that smiles all the time. 😛  It was meant to be a joke. 😉

• Like 2
Captain_Tass
2 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

I should have altered my original post: One can't trust an animal that smiles all the time. 😛  It was meant to be a joke. 😉

Ah gotcha fam, no worries! I also should have specified that I was talking in general, and just using that statement as a base, just because I've seen this phenomenon a lot (and also I'm studying to be a vet, so we sorta have to know animal body language, which greatly differs from human body language)

• Like 1
nutterwithasolderingiron

they always make me think of this band.

• Like 1

Have you guys seen the videos on youtube of (giant) seals r@ping king penguins?? It's soooo fucked up 😧 and dolphins do the same thing, literally look for a hole to stick their junk in even though they're well aware it's a different species.

Dolphins are on another level though because according to studies they're actually incredibly intelligent. So... I don't know. Just why?

I know we shouldn't judge animals by our own morality, but yeah. I honestly find a great deal of the animal kingdom (including humans) weird and gross in many ways.

Fraggle Underdark

I have no opposition to judging animals with human morality, depending on what we mean by that. It would be a mistake to assume that they feel the same way about things that we do. For example they might not (or might!) have a sense that they're doing anything wrong.

But there's nothing irrational about saying "I really hate it when this animal/species does X, and I dislike/hate them because of that." There's nothing remotely irrational about that, at heart.

And yeah to the original question, dolphins are jerks. I will say though that it's truly awesome how they'll sometimes help other species, even though they know it's not the same species and won't help them back, for example occasionally rescuing people at sea and bringing them to land. Altruism like that is so rare in species, usually it's just humans doing things like that. And kindness showing up like that, in an uncaring cosmos, is something of spiritual beauty for me.

But they presumably do more raping and sport killing than they do saving (as other species seldom need their saving), so overall still mostly jerks.

• Like 1
Milque Toast

If anything, I pitied dolphins more than anything. Being trapped in aquariums can't be fun, and many dolphin species have been hunted down to extinction.

Something I admired about them was that some species of whale mothers will stay with their children for their entire lives. But unfortunately, hunters take advantage of this and it's how they hunt them :( 

(yes I have been watching extraordinary attorney woo, and it has made me enjoy whales a lot more than I was before)

• Like 1
Synchronicity
37 minutes ago, - 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖑𝖊𝕽𝖔𝖈𝕶 - said:

But there's nothing irrational about saying "I really hate it when this animal/species does X, and I dislike/hate them because of that." There's nothing remotely irrational about that, at heart.

That's why I hate it when the females pleasure themselves, because I'm averse to things like that. ☹️

But I didn't know some dolphins help other species, so thank you!  Presumably they'll get good karma from that and go on to better things. 🙂

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy dolphins are the second-most-intelligent species!  Humans are not the first. 😃

• Like 1
Fraggle Underdark
13 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy dolphins are the second-most-intelligent species!  Humans are not the first. 😃

Yes 😁 "How many roads must a man walk down?"

14 minutes ago, Synchronicity said:

That's why I hate it when the females pleasure themselves, because I'm averse to things like that. ☹️

It's interesting to me that this is also mentioned alongside things dolphins do that cause a lot of suffering. I have no issue with this, and actually like that and am glad of it, but more generally there are tons of animals that are gross to me, or sometimes do very gross things. In those cases I'll just avoid exposure to the animal or the activity but the dislike I feel is of a different kind then when animals cause a lot of suffering.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

A dolphin helped a coworker of my best friend's dad, as odd as it may sound. I think this guy would have died if not.

Also, there are some studies conducted about therapy with dolphins, some claim that they do nothing, but apparently, some of the kids in those therapies have a good time, so, it is worth something, even if it's just that.

I'm going to say something very weird but whatever: I think that the issue with dolphins is that they are too smart but not too evolved, so they don't have a consciousness about good or bad as we do, or about sin and no sinful /which in the past helped us to define things in this matter), as we do too, so they do the things they like without caring about anything else.

Oh, and I still like them 😥, they are too cute to be hated by me, but maybe if I see more videos... ok I better not!

SilenceRadio
4 hours ago, awadama said:

What do you have against peacocks and flamingos, awadama?

(unless they've added peacock or flamingo Pokémon in the newest Pokémon games)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SilenceRadio said:

If I gave my opinions on them, the whole of AVEN would have to be locked forever for cooldown! 😤

• Like 2
RoseGoesToYale

Nature frequently ain't pretty.

Take peacocks for example. They're pretty... until you live next door to a very horny one and eight equally horny peahens and the peacock spends ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT crying and crying and crying and crying very loudly and you come to realize they're actually just annoying little shits.

If you've never heard a peacock call, I'm sorry for your ears:

4 minutes ago, SilenceRadio said:

I hope flamingoes aren't as obnoxiously loud as peacocks...

• Like 4

Peacock is also the title of the absolute worst Katy Perry song.

It's awful!

SilenceRadio

I thought I was spared from AVEN being slow but turned out that's what being in a different timezone from others does to you: AVEN is not slow except when it's past midnight.

59 minutes ago, awadama said:

If I gave my opinions on them, the whole of AVEN would have to be locked forever for cooldown! 😤

And to cool it down we'd need Ice-type flamingo/peafowl Pokémon, right?

• Like 1
Captain_Tass
2 hours ago, Synchronicity said:

But I didn't know some dolphins help other species, so thank you!

1 hour ago, Su. said:

A dolphin helped a coworker of my best friend's dad, as odd as it may sound. I think this guy would have died if not.

There's actually an ancient Greek myth that goes like so:

Arion was a very famous musician, who had just completed a tour of Sicily and Magna Grecia, and was sailing for home. He carried the treasures that he'd amassed during the tour along with him on the ship, and all the sailors that were part of the crew caught eye of them and resolved to kill Arion to seize the treasures. (In other versions, the adversaries are pirates that have attacked the ship and are after Arion's treasures).

Arion begs his adversaries to let him sing a song and play his lyre as a last favour, and as he finished his song, he threw himself overboard, preferring that the sea should kill him instead of his adversaries.

However, a dolphin had heard Arion's swan song, and it rushed over to him, charmed. The dolphin safely carried Arion on its back all the way to Corinth.

Both Arion's lyre and the dolphin were later immortalized by the gods as the constellations Lyra and Delphinus.

So, because there's a bit of truth in every myth, it's more than likely that dolphins have been helping out humans at sea for centuries!

• Like 1

Can dolphins be our next president, because I swear they'd do better than whatever the fuck's going on here 😩

• Like 2
Guest Invisible Pumpkin
26 minutes ago, Life Of Tass said:

There's actually an ancient Greek myth that goes like so:

Arion was a very famous musician, who had just completed a tour of Sicily and Magna Grecia, and was sailing for home. He carried the treasures that he'd amassed during the tour along with him on the ship, and all the sailors that were part of the crew caught eye of them and resolved to kill Arion to seize the treasures. (In other versions, the adversaries are pirates that have attacked the ship and are after Arion's treasures).

Arion begs his adversaries to let him sing a song and play his lyre as a last favour, and as he finished his song, he threw himself overboard, preferring that the sea should kill him instead of his adversaries.

However, a dolphin had heard Arion's swan song, and it rushed over to him, charmed. The dolphin safely carried Arion on its back all the way to Corinth.

Both Arion's lyre and the dolphin were later immortalized by the gods as the constellations Lyra and Delphinus.

So, because there's a bit of truth in every myth, it's more than likely that dolphins have been helping out humans at sea for centuries!

That's a nice one!!  And I do believe that some animals (not only dolphins) want/try to help humans. We have had experiences with this with our past dogs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 3:31 PM, Life Of Tass said:

Shitposting aside, dolphins are animals and, though I get the reasons behind anthropomorphizing animals, judging them through our own lens of morality, judging their facial expressions as sole signals of body language and communication and ascribing intent to their actions in the same way as we do for ourselves and other people... it's unhelpful, because we're talking about animals here. One can't hold animals to human standards. (Yeah I'm still mad about the dolphin house, what the absolute shit was that.)

We're talking about an animal that would murder it's own children just so it can rape the females again... Or the same animal that would murder a baby shark just to use it's corpse as a toy to bounce around... No offense but even by animal standards, they are arsehats.

• 11 months later...
Olallieberry

Dogs and cats are jerks who torture and kill wildlife, too, but nobody hates them for it.

Like the hit-man said: "But dogs got personality."

Other hit-man: "It would have to be one charming m'er f'in' dolphin."

a little annihilation

they can't be as bad as humans.

Yeah, you can say that some animals, like dolphins, or cats & dogs, are jerks, but then, so aren't people. People are the biggest jerks on planet Earth, anyway.  Just look around.  The world is filled with jerks of all species. 

Edit - the only animals that aren't jerks are Thylacines!!! :)

On 8/17/2022 at 2:30 PM, awadama said:

There are over 905 Pokemon.

There are Pokemon based on all kinds of animals, birds and insects.

There are Pokemon based on ice cream, candles and bags of garbage.

I know this is an old post but I was curious and had to look it up. And...https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Finizen_(Pokémon)

0963-Finizen.png