Lord Revan

Are you Scared of Dying  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Are you scared of dying

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (put in comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

Are you scared of dying. I personal am not really, since by the time I'm dead, I'm dead, and have no consciousness to care about it.

Elizabeth Bennet

It would suck, because I feel like at the verge of so much nowadays. But you can't prevent your time from coming, can you? (If you know how, PM me.)

I'm afraid of suffering while I die, I'd say.

• Like 7

I'm not scared of dying mainly because of the fact that it's inevitable. I'm afraid of how I might die, though; there are some pretty gruesome ways to go.

• Like 1
Anomaly Q3Xr

I am not afraid for this life to end, as I believe that my soul/spirit will live on in another life. But I am afraid of how I will die, and I have so much more I want to do in this life, I would rather it waited until I was much much older.

• Like 2

It depends on how I die. Passing in my sleep is the ideal, burning to death, drowning, freezing etc are the opposite of ideal.

Queen Snowfall

My general opinion is that assassination is probably the best way to go, because it shows you either did something really good or really bad. Hopefully the former. 

• Like 6
Captain_Tass

My cramps are killing me already, but I want to live longer than the 19 years I already have under my belt, so... kinda? Basically I'm scared of dying without having experienced things I want to experience. And, while I know I can't experience everything, I sure can confidently say that, right now, I haven't experienced nearly enough.

• Like 2

I don't actively want to do it now, I would actually prefer to wait. I have things I would like to do before, and I don't want to die before some people I know. But afraid? Not at all. 

• Like 3

I don't think I'm scared to die, but I don't know if that would change if I almost died or felt like I was going to die.

I do know that I want to live and do things

But I would feel like I was doing myself harm to worry over something that I have no control of anyway

• Like 1

I don't really care and I don't really spend time thinking about it..

• Like 1

I've become afraid of dying ever since there started an entire wave of deaths around me. It's been at least eight people that I've been remotely close to in five years. And there is already the next one coming up, I'm afraid... It's a constant feeling of being left behind and I'm not even sure if I'd be missed myself. On top of that, I feel like I haven't achieved anything that I'd be remembered for, not even for a fews years within the wider circle of people that I know. In the grand scheme of things nothing matters. Currently, I'm struggling with that reality.

J. van Deijck

I don't overthink it, but I've been *almost there* and I kind of have an idea what it looks like, and every time it hits me, I'm feeling anxious. I have too much to see, to do and to learn before I die, though.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Phalena said:

It's been at least eight people that I've been remotely close to in five years. And there is already the next one coming up

I'm so sorry for your loss, that's awful! Going through all that is terrible, have you reached out for help dealing with it all? I know it is said a lot, but therapy really helps if you can afford it. Life is about so much more than legacies but feeling like nothing matters can be dangerous especially paired with grief 🤍

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rosalien said:

I'm so sorry for your loss, that's awful! Going through all that is terrible, have you reached out for help dealing with it all? I know it is said a lot, but therapy really helps if you can afford it. Life is about so much more than legacies but feeling like nothing matters can be dangerous especially paired with grief 🤍

Thanks for the heads-up! It was mostly during Corona, too so no support groups could meet. Therapy is not possible though. I'm trying my best to achieve something at least semi-worthwhile. Maybe there'll be celebrations like big birthdays and weddings soon.

• Like 1

I don't really think of it on a philosophical level. You cease to feel and think the moment you die, having an opinion on death itself just seems wholly pointless to me. It's like when people believe it would be awful if they died having not done X, Y or Z. Why would it be awful, your dead self would be unable to judge your life's experiences? It's not like you lie there in a velvet-lined coffin thinking over the things you did when you were given life. You're dead. You cannot do that. I don't want to die so I am reasonably scared on that basis but the thing itself, not really? I'm far more terrified of eternal suffering or prolonged torture.

This is something I think about a lot. I am an aspiring writer who wants to have a notable and positive impact on the world. I can’t make that legacy if I die anytime soon. So, I’m scared of dying before I’ve established a legacy for myself. I’m also scared of dying in a really sudden and painful way. But I think for me the answer to this question is that I’m temporarily really afraid of dying. I think that will change as/if I accomplish my goals and as the people most important to me (like my parents) die overtime. 

• Like 1

im not afraid of dying in theory but when im dying [especially in pain] survival instincts will kick in and arouse fear which is an inevitable thing. no matter who you are youll be scared at the very last moment of your life

nutterwithasolderingiron

not really, i've nearly died a few times. i'm more afraid there's an afterlife. 

• Like 1
The Abhorred
2 hours ago, godverdomme said:

I don't overthink it, but I've been *almost there* and I kind of have an idea what it looks like, and every time it hits me, I'm feeling anxious. I have too much to see, to do and to learn before I die, though.

Would you mind sharing the idea of what it looks like? 

One time many years ago I woke up from a sharp pain on my belly. The pain didn't last but then I couldn't see, there was a buzzing sound in my ears, I was week and pale, even my lips were white. When I saw how I looked I thought that I was dying, for real. What I felt then was loneliness, it wasn't fear or regrets, I felt as I was the only person on earth. I still get that feeling from time to time. 

To me what is scary is this feeling of helplessness, that you are loosing control over your body, that before death anguish and not death it self. 

• Like 2
Dominus Temporis
3 hours ago, Queen Snowfall said:

My general opinion is that assassination is probably the best way to go, because it shows you either did something really good or really bad. Hopefully the former. 

Yep; I need to make sure I get assassinated somehow. 

• Like 1

I'm fine with dying. I'm scared of the NHS and social care making the end of my life a misery. I'm watching my grandma and uncle go through it at the moment. I hope assisted dying becomes legal in England but, they like to drain away all your money before you die, so I doubt it.

I wouldn't think there is, or ever has been, any human being. however old they are, who is ever ready to die unless maybe they have a terminal illness and have somehow come to accept that their life is about to end.    It's the nature of all living organisms to strive to survive.   "Fear" of dying has evolved as a result of the development of religious beliefs.  As an atheist, for me there is nothing to fear.  That's not to say I'm ready to go yet though!  And I probably won't ever be entirely ready, but fear......no.   Not for me. 

I think it is worthwhile to make a distinction between "dying" and "being dead". I certainly don't fear being dead and I don't think anyone else should either; it's a state of non existence no different to how things were before we were born.

As for dying, it's not exactly a nice thing to think about or anticipate, but I wouldn't say I am scared of that either.

What I AM scared of however is the possibility that I may be forced to live and not allowed to die if I am ever in a situation of experiencing agonising pain and discomfort which is uncurable. Where I live, physician assisted suicide is not allowed, and I think it should be. If an animal is in pain and has no chance of getting better, it is considered cruel to allow them to continue to suffer, and they are euthanized by a vet. Yet if humans are in that situation, they have to endure it and suffer, sometimes for years. If I am in a bad state with no quality of life, I want to be able to tell a doctor to end my suffering and help me to die.

6 minutes ago, Ortac said:

I think it is worthwhile to make a distinction between "dying" and "being dead". I certainly don't fear being dead and I don't think anyone else should either; it's a state of non existence no different to how things were before we were born.

As for dying, it's not exactly a nice thing to think about or anticipate, but I wouldn't say I am scared of that either.

What I AM scared of however is the possibility that I may be forced to live and not allowed to die if I am ever in a situation of experiencing agonising pain and discomfort which is uncurable. Where I live, physician assisted suicide is not allowed, and I think it should be. If an animal is in pain and has no chance of getting better, it is considered cruel to allow them to continue to suffer, and they are euthanized by a vet. Yet if humans are in that situation, they have to endure it and suffer, sometimes for years. If I am in a bad state with no quality of life, I want to be able to tell a doctor to end my suffering and help me to die.

I do think dying and being dead are different. For me, I fear being dead (because of all the things I can’t do at that point), but unless my death is painful, I don’t necessarily fear dying. 
I’ve also thought a lot about there are things worse than death (for the person in question and everyone around them). My late grandpa passed of Alzheimer’s this year. For years before that, he couldn’t recognize me and my family. Eventually, he forgot his kids, and a few months before he died, he could only remember his wife of decades some of the time. There was a point early on where he could use things like pictures to remember people, and he was still fit enough to go for walks. But he was gone at least a year before he actually died. My grandma had to watch, kind of helpless. She also spent money hiring help for him. It was a lot of unnecessary pain that could’ve been avoided if he could’ve been avoided if he’d died around the time his mind was mostly gone. 
There are memory issues in both sides of my family pretty significantly, so I know I’ll probably have them if I live to be a certain age. If I lose most of my mind (the way my grandpa did), I don’t want just want to live on. I would rather die. 
So, even though I fear being dead, there are things I fear a lot more. 

Yes, but I don’t go through life worrying that I’m going to die all the time.

Spoiler

Though anxiety attacks sometimes feel like I’m going to die, and I’ve honestly believed it once.

When it comes to death I’m mostly scared of 1. Having a painful death and 2. The implications of my death. Who will take care of my cats? If my parents are still alive, I wouldn’t want them to go through losing me (and since they were only in their 20’s when I was born, I statistically probably have a long time before that stops being a reason for me to fear death). Also although I logically don’t believe in a afterlife, there’s still a small part of me that thinks there could be something bad on the “other side”.

• Like 1

Yeah. It's not the being dead that scares me -- although I really do not want to die yet -- but the actual physical process, in the moments it's happening, really frightens me. It didn't when I was younger, probably because I had absolutely no real frame of reference as to what the experience might be like. But having come close to cardiac arrest a couple times when I was in my 20s, which was the most terrifying thing I've gone through in my life, I'm scared now because I have PTSD-ish type stuff as a result. I'm rarely at ease in my own body, experience fairly severe panic attacks at times with certain health-related physical sensations that are triggering, am hypervigilant, etc. If dying is anything like nearly dying... yep, I'm scared shitless.

The French Unicorn

I won't say it yes or no for me. It is more that I don't think about it, as I'm still young, in good health, and not in a depressed state right now (when I was depressed I thought about it a lot).

So in the sense I am not scared, but it is more because I am not thinking about it, not because I was and noticed that I didn't care or something like this.

Yes, I can be scared of dying (especilly if I think about it when going to sleep).

But if I think like this (as an example): In 2077 I'll be 93. That's old! I hope I'm dead before that.

I hope I'll not die a painful death (physical or psycological).

Then there's the thought of not existing anymore. Maybe it's not scary but still quite hard to grasp (if not impossible). This nothing-ness.

• Like 1
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

No, I'd really not scared to die. However, I'm scared to die in a painful manner. Death is easy, when I reach it I'll not be able to realize it. The pain that may precede it is what I fear, and it's why I hope to die very suddenly at a relatively young age. 

• Like 1