whats a word thats altered from its original definition

illumi

SilenceRadio
On 8/15/2022 at 12:37 AM, AspieAlly613 said:

"Snowflake"

I remember when the term "snowflake" was short for "special snowflake" and was a derogatory way of describing someone who insisted on being unique, or insisted that xe was unique despite being easy to categorize with other people.  Somewhere along the line, the definition transformed to mean "emotionally fragile".

The worst part is that "special snowflake" originally meant the exact opposite.

Black Tourmaline
On 8/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, Epic Tetus said:

I think this is a slightly different case: these are two different sayings using the same words. That is, one didn’t evolve into the other.

”Out of pocket” as a slang term has been used to refer to someone who is not under the control of the person or agency in question. You’ve probably heard it in some action/spy movies, where a bad actor is described as being out of pocket, meaning they’ve lost track of or control over them. This lends itself to the socially inappropriate behavior change.

Out of pocket costs aren’t related to this, and that term is still in wide use, especially with health insurance stuff in the US.

my dad said "out of pocket" can also mean "not available on a particular date".

sometimes it seems like stuff means things and sometimes things mean stuff i guess.

Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

Terrorism. Originally it was something that the government did to the people instead of the other way around 

TheBookDragon

Apocalypse. I love this one. It originally meant to reveal. And soon after became a revelation.

...and then somehow became a disaster.

• Like 1
Synchronicity

'Sick' now used to mean something good.  I hate it! ☹️

• Like 4