Demigirl (she/they)

A few years ago, people around me started to question their gender identity. Through their exploration into different terms and definitions, I heard about the term Demigirl. I realized that it made sense to me. While I feel mentally mostly like a female (although that depends some by the day), I feel some gender dysphoria. (I want top surgery, but I know I won’t be able to get it for at least a few years because of my age). 

I’ve told my sibling, and hinted at it with my parents, but only online do I identify with she/they pronouns 

I feel lucky because unlike some other gender nonconforming people, I don’t have to tell people about not being cis to not get misgendered. But, it’s really hard to just have it exist in the back of my mind and in the way I see myself 

Can anybody relate and/or does anyone have some advice? 

• Like 2
Queen Snowfall

I have a somewhat parallel (though not really the same) experience with being aroace. I want to tell people that I'm around, and it would certainly save me a lot of awkward conversations. It also is kind of hard to have to stop myself from saying things that might bring up the subject, even around my friends, and I kind of feel like a liar sometimes. But on the flip side, it is significantly more convenient to just let people assume I'm straight, and quite honestly I have no idea how most people would react.

I know it's kind of a different experience, but I guess it has similar themes of wanting to tell people, but not really being able to.

As a result of having the same kind of problem, I have no advice.

Maybe someone else will?

• Like 2
Fandom Fanatic

Hi! I'm also a demigirl, but I use they/she pronouns (basically the same as she/they, but they is more predominant) 

People refer to me as a girl, and luckily, I don't have as much dysphoria when they say stuff like that, but there is obviously some.

But I also don't exactly know what advice you're looking for. What exactly is going on? Can you explain more?

I’m a teenager, so there’s not much I can do about my gender dysmorphia. I know my parents (who are really accepting) are opposed to binders because it came up through my sibling. And I’m a few years from being legally able to get top surgery. So, I think the biggest thing I’m looking for is advice on how to manage my gender dysmorphia for now 

congrats on finding yourself!!!! 👏

dw, finding comfort in yourself takes time. you will start to feel better when you have ppl u can be open with who are accepting and supportive. ❤️

Yeah. One thing I’m looking forward to is having the room to be more independent. Being able to decide on binders myself without my parents concerns stopping me is something I’m (impatiently) looking forward to. 

• 1 month later...
Dark-Eclipse

Hi, I'm having a huge gender dysphoria right now. I'm a 13-year-old girl, and I've been exploring what my gender is for about 6 months, and I've just been going off the pronouns she/them as they feel the most comfortable with me at the moment. All my friends I have that are in the LGBQUS2+ community dealt with sexuality but not gender, so it's been hard for me to find and understand my gender. Just recently I came across demigirl, and it fills right to me and the most of the description I read are accurate to how I feel. But I just went to know from people who are demigirl what does it feel like to be a demigirl and what does it mean to be a demigirl. Not to be rude or offences, I'm just generally trying to figure out my gender.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2022 at 9:13 PM, Dark-Eclipse said:

Hi, I'm having a huge gender dysphoria right now. I'm a 13-year-old girl, and I've been exploring what my gender is for about 6 months, and I've just been going off the pronouns she/them as they feel the most comfortable with me at the moment. All my friends I have that are in the LGBQUS2+ community dealt with sexuality but not gender, so it's been hard for me to find and understand my gender. Just recently I came across demigirl, and it fills right to me and the most of the description I read are accurate to how I feel. But I just went to know from people who are demigirl what does it feel like to be a demigirl and what does it mean to be a demigirl. Not to be rude or offences, I'm just generally trying to figure out my gender.

No problem! I’m sorry your having a hard time, and I’d be happy to help.

In a lot of ways, I feel like a girl (especially mentally). That’s not always true, but a lot of my dysphoria comes from my chest. If I didn’t have that literal weight in my chest, or at least if it wasn’t visible (if my chest was binders) I’d feel better. 
A lot of me being a Demigirl is how I feel. I present more feminine, and I don’t wish I had been born in a male body. I just can’t stand part of my afab body. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just started to learn about the terms Demigirl and Demiboy myself! For the longest time I was "okay" with the gender I was assigned with but I'm starting to reexamine things with an open perspective. It's a bit scary when I think on it too much because the idea of being something outside/different than the gender binary...yeah that kinda gives me anxiety XD but for now I've found a strong connection with she/they pronouns. They just feel right. 

I'm still trying to educate myself about being Nonbinary and trans. It's hard for me to feel like what I'm feeling is valid because I'm uncertain if I've ever really had dysphoria before. I don't think you have to have dysphoria to be considered genderqueer(?), but it's a category of thought that I'm slowly taking my time dissecting. It's really nice to see I'm not the only one in this. ^^ 

• Like 1