Which generation of Pokemon games is your favourite? (main series)

Jordan...

What is your favourite generation of Pokemon  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which generation is your favourite

• Generation 1 - Red/Blue/Green/Yellow
    • Generation 2 - Gold/Silver/Crystal
    • Generation 3 - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    • Generation 1 Remakes - Fire Red/Leaf Green
    • Generation 4 - Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    • Generation 2 Remakes - Heart Gold/Soul Silver
    • Generation 5 - Black/White/Black 2/White 2
    • Generation 6 - X/Y
    • Generation 3 Remakes - Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
    • Generation 7 - Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
    • Generation 8 - Sword/Shield
    • Generation 4 Remakes - Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl
  2. 2. Why is that your favourite generation?

• The choice of Pokemon
    • The region (layout, progression, etc.)
    • The art style (for Pokemon, NPCs, region, etc.)
    • The storyline
    • The anime which came with it
    • Nostalgia
    • Other (please specify)

This poll is closed to new votes

Whether it's because your favourite Pokemon is from that generation, or because you played the game non-stop as a child, which generation is your favourite and why?

BONUS QUESTION: What's your favourite Pokemon?

• Like 2
blunose2772

My favorite is Gen 2 But I will admit I/ve only played the first 3 generations because I could never afford a DS or 3DS and all the emulators I find online for anything after gen 3 are garbage.

Me favorite Pokemon in Meowth. Pay Day baby!

• Like 3

I've only played red&blue. Also, favorite Pokemon is Coffigrigus, for the war crimes.

• Like 3
TormentDubz

Hella unpopular preference inbound: gen 6. Favorite Pokémon is Mewtwo probably

• Like 4
Captain_Tass

Gonna have to go with Gen 5, specifically B2/W2, because in my eyes, and in hindsight, it's just about the best that the franchise ever got. B/W follows very closely behind, but takes second place as its story feels a bit more... intrusive (though I do certainly appreciate B/W's story!)

Also... village bridge anyone? Most banger chill location ever. I spent hours there as a kid.

ETA: Favourite pokemon? Oh, that's a doozy. Uhhhh... Azelf. Yeah I'm going with Azelf.

• Like 5

Voted for OR/AS, but actually I liked all Pokemon Games. Though Or/AS got best graphics and music together with a great story line and pokemon (Torchic and Co.).

(I though didn't play anything after Sun/Moon and somewhen I lost B/W cartridge so wasn't longer able to play it.)

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, TormentDubz said:

I feel like gen 6 is starting to come around now as a generation people like (though not many will put it at the top). I loved it, it's still the only game where I have completed the dex... it's just a shame it was a little short; not much extra post game (battle maison & looker missions), the gyms weren't really paced out well, and the story didn't really feel all that polished (in my opinion). 

Definitely not worth the hate it got (gets) though!

• Like 3
Anomaly Q3Xr

As a childminder 20 years ago (god I feel old writing that) I used to play a Pokémon battle card game with on of the kids I used to mind, but have no idea about any of it now, as I haven't played or seen anything to do with Pokémon since I moved away. I'm guessing that was the early days of Pokémon though.

• Like 2

I mainly grew up with generations III and IV (played Diamond the most as a child) but I got into Gen V a little over a year ago and it has completely captivated me.

The reason for that is the storyline and the characters (both, Black/White and Black 2/White 2, have interesting stories and some awesome characters). I think Gen V had the best villain team (out of the Pokemon games I know) with an understandable motivation that greatly influenced me too. I literally refuse to catch many Pokemon now, I just get the ones I plan on using and release every Pokemon I haven't used or don't want to include in my team (except for legendaries). Also, N is just such an amazing character in my opinion. The games gave us Ingo and Emmet too, who have such cool designs. I also love the rivals in Gen V - Bianca and Cheren are lovely and Hugh is my all-time favorite rival because I really enjoy his motivation to go travel and personality. Also, Gen V has really really great music. In my opinion it has the most banger songs out of all Pokemon soundtracks. On top of that, I like many of the new gameplay ideas Gen V included. Plus, I just think the games look beautiful. I mean, do you remember the Marine Tube in Black 2/White 2? That was so amazing!! I stood in there for quite a bit!

Spoiler

Tunnel Marino - Pokémon Central Wiki

Pokémon Black 2 & Pokémon White 2 - Pre-Release Screenshots

Oh and I keep going back to watch the trailer for Black 2/White 2 because it is just SO good!! Seriously, go watch it.

Spoiler

Putting that aside, I always struggle to find one favorite Pokemon. I can't decide...

• Like 5
3 hours ago, TormentDubz said:

I think Gen VI had some really good parts! I enjoyed the games too!

• Like 2
SilenceRadio

I've finished the first Gameboy game, Red, and played (but never finished) the other GBC/GBA games too. XY was my first Pokémon game, and I've done the crime of never subtantially playing the games on the DS meaning I don't have any exposure to Gens 4 & 5 that isn't the movies or what people say about it. But I really like the first few generations (1, technically 2*, 3) as well as the last ones (6, 7, 8). Anime-wise, most of the memories I have is just the one about Gens 1-2 and maybe some of Gen 6 and that's it.

*Gen 2 is complicated for me. I bought Red and Crystal for my GBA, but overtime the save files died like they tend to do on GameBoy games. Meaning I finished Red but not Crystal. Most of the nostalgia I have for this generation is based on other people's let's plays and the Super Pokémon Eevee Edition fangame, sooo.... yeah. I like Gen 2 but I never truly played it myself.

I picked OR/AS though I do enjoy what the games after it bring to the table.

There's a ton of Pokémons I have soft spot for, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick Flygon (which I consistently had in my team for the last three generations, so that must mean something).

• Like 3
museofdrakes

Sun and Moon, Personally. Even if its a bit slow to start, the story is probably the best in the series. The characters are all great, and even the minor villans and trail captains are extremely memorable. Introduced Regional Forms, witch was an amazing idea and one of the few 'gimmicks' that has stuck out even when megas and z-moves have been scrapped. Plus, the worldbuilding and making the place feel lived in.  The secondary characters, Hau, Lily , and Gladion are honestly the best in the series too. Also, the box legendartys actually served as characters in the story, and didn't only serve as a McGuffin that the evil team summoned at the end of the game. 

• Like 5
SpaceDustbin

Gen 1 or Gen 2. Can't really decide, but voted for Gen 2 :lol: (also helped by the fact that Crystal was the first official game I owned).

My favourite pokémon is probably Pidgeot. Partly for nostalgic reasons, because a lvl 2 pidgey was the first pokémon I caught in Crystal, and trained it all the way up to a lvl 100 Pidgeot :P

• Like 2

this was difficult for me to choose, but i went with gen 3, because i love the aesthetic/graphics/music of the GBA adventure. despite buying Blue the day it came out in the US, and importing Silver rather than waiting for an English version [yes, i did beat it as a child with no concept of the japanese language, lol], R/S/E give me the most nostalgia.
favourite pokemon always has been Houndoom.

Silver/Gold for the nostalgia of the Pokémon god 'Pikablu' rumor shortly before the release of Gen 2.

• Like 1
The French Unicorn

Second was my first generation so it has a special place in my heart

• Like 2

For the longest time Generation II was my favorite, but when I played Black I really loved it, so ultimately I dropped Gen II from my favorite. G/S/C are so dated, not even very playable nowadays, unfortunately (but I adored them so much back when they came out, and they still hold a very special place).

Gen V with Black/White was so good. I adored the freshness of only having the generation's Pokemon available before the post-game. Pokemon games since then have shoved Gen I Pokemon down our throats and I'd really love to have a new Pokemon game in the style of B/W again.

Gen V also had a lot of great new Pokemon. A number of my favorite Pokemon are from the generation: Samurott, Sawsbuck, Zebstrika, etc.

My top favorite Pokemon is Galarian Rapidash. I was waiting for a unicorn Pokemon I would adore and I finally got it. I love how its mane brings up fairy tale princesses, its eyes are beautiful but not red and mean looking like original Rapidash. I like the longish horn, which kinda reminds me of the early European depictions (even though Galarian Rapidash is clearly not inspired by them much if at all lol).

• Like 4

Gen 2 is my favourite because it's the first one I played and the only one I really got into. I also played Fire red but the only thing I remember about that was I had a over leveled Charizard that could one shot just about anything. I'm not really into Pokemon these days and the only thing I watch that's Pokemon related is the hilarious 'guides' by Kilian Experience on Youtube.

My Favourite Pokemon would be Lugia.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

ok so I've always said it was gen 2 but now 2 and 5 are tied for favorite now tbh

I voted gen 2

there's a lot of reasons I like them so much

my favorite Pokemon is Buzzwole

Real Estate RICO

7 - it shook the game and anime formulas up in a good way + best starters since 3

the only major thing I didn't really like was Battle Royals having the worst cheating AI by far and how they weren't last team standing (which is actually how it goes in the anime)

• Like 1

My order from best to worst:

(big gap)

(another big gap)

Staraptor is best Pokemon!

• Like 3
HakunaKatana

My favorite is Gen III, but only out of nostalgia. The memories I have of those games are precious enough that I can forgive the parts that frankly haven't aged that well at all. I will say it had the best spin-offs, though.

I think Gen V is the highest-quality overall, B2/W2 in particular. It has lots of great new Mons, TONS of additional post-story content, great music, and its art style has aged remarkably well. It also introduced Triple Battles and infinite-use TMs, cut down on HM usage until Gen VII abandoned them entirely, and Unova is just a great region overall. There's even little things like finding Audino every now and again for a burst of EXP, and that there was a hard mode, even if it wasn't implemented so well. My only real complaints are the poor implementation of hard mode, the story having missed a lot of beats despite how ambitious it was, and the dialogue being a bit stilted and repetitive, which might be the result of having a new localization team.

My favorite Mon is probably Spiritomb. Looks cool, great in battle, awesome cry, what more could I ask for? aside from a less-tedious way to obtain one that is

• Like 2
HakunaKatana
On 8/3/2022 at 12:05 AM, Jordan... said:

I feel like gen 6 is starting to come around now as a generation people like (though not many will put it at the top). I loved it, it's still the only game where I have completed the dex... it's just a shame it was a little short; not much extra post game (battle maison & looker missions), the gyms weren't really paced out well, and the story didn't really feel all that polished (in my opinion). 

Definitely not worth the hate it got (gets) though!

I've revisited X/Y recently, and it definitely has its moments. Kalos is one of my favorite regions and a lot of the new Mons are cool. I think Mega Evolution could have been implemented better (OR/AS fixed that) and the Fairy type was/is a little unbalanced, plus coming off the heels of B/W and its sequels, X/Y just feels a little lackluster to me. But it's no longer my least favorite gen (that would be either Gen I, VII, or VIII).

• Like 1
HakunaKatana
On 8/6/2022 at 3:27 PM, Virelai said:

For the longest time Generation II was my favorite, but when I played Black I really loved it, so ultimately I dropped Gen II from my favorite. G/S/C are so dated, not even very playable nowadays, unfortunately (but I adored them so much back when they came out, and they still hold a very special place).

Have you tried HeartGold/SoulSilver by any chance? They addressed several of G/S/C's issues.

I clicked on this because I play Pokemon Go...only to realize that I have no idea what any of it is lol

On 8/30/2022 at 12:21 AM, HakunaKatana said:

Have you tried HeartGold/SoulSilver by any chance? They addressed several of G/S/C's issues.

Not to mention it added several cool things, like the Pokeathlon, and the Safari Zone manager thing.

Also, being able to get my boy Mamoswine is a HUUUUGE plus.

I chose gen 4 (diamond , and platinum being the ones I owned) for the reason that diamond was my first new out of box pokemon game along with being the last pokemon game I got during elementry school, and my mom pre ordering platinum for me as an easter gift.

As for the bonus question hard to choose but might have to go with luxray it looks so cool to me.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
smellincoffee

I like Fire Red & Leaf Green because they combined a world I knew comprehensively with better graphics. I haven't played anything past that gen,  except for a brief look at....black and pearl, I think it was. I got my start with Pokemon Blue, then Yellow on the Gameboy Color. Yes, I'm ancient.

• Like 1
TheSmolFoxWeeb

Gen 7 was my first generation of pokemon games I ever played, so I hold a lot of nostalgia for it

• Like 1