What Would You Give Up...

23 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'd say it shifts with every generation.

But what really is "normal"? I don't know if I could describe it without making it sound like a caricature rather than any real people.

Unfortunately, normal is what's considered or done in common practice by clustered masses or those under the banner of a society or sect. 

Caricatures aren't neccessarily a bad thing, as they draw inspiration from an actual source. They only become bad when they're used as a generalization treated as fact or for supporting claims of any kind. A caricature of a typical saskatchewan-er would be a drunk fat man shooting everything that moved that wasn't human while wearing green because he loves the roughriders football team. I wouldn't be wrong if I half joked that a decent chunk of the people living here were like this, that it was what counts as normal. But I'd be wrong to assume or say that's all there was.

• Like 1
Purple Red Panda
22 hours ago, Purple Red Panda said:

No. I'd be miserable and living a lie. There are somethings I wish I could change relating to my mental health and how being on the autism spectrum effects that but when it comes to playing the game of being normal I can't really bring myself to do much more than seems necessary.

Also I think I'd be shit at it 😅

NoButterfly

No, I like being me. Though it would sometimes be easier to be content with who you are if people in general were more accepting of the fact that we are all different and make different choices.

• Like 3

I'm really comfortable in my own skin. When I look at what's going on in wider society, I don't think it's very comfortable right now. Maybe it needs to take a chill pill.

• Like 2
AroAce Wolf

No thanks. I'm content with myself. Whether it's one person or all of society, anyone who doesn't like me or think I'm "normal" can just leave me alone.

• Like 3
Princess Flufflebutt

Nothing. I am myself, whether this godforsaken shithole of a society wants it or not.

• Like 1

Absolutely not.

Though recently, as part of a manic episode I've survived, I started by trying to completely deconstruct who and what I was and go back through my past, picking parts I wanted to keep and discarding the rest. This wasn't an attempt of becoming more normal and acceptable to society, I just had to kick myself out of a deep depression some how and wanted to remove all this weight I'd been carrying around with me. I haven't finished what I started yet and will get back to it one day, but a consequence of what I did do has indeed been me becoming more acceptable and involved with society, my friends and family; it has been a net gain so far, but is by no means complete.

• Like 2
Alaska Native Manitou

Lower my IQ to a mere 100? I think not.

• 2 weeks later...

No.  People who only like you if you are the same as they are or the same as everyone else aren't worth being friends with anyway.

• Like 1