What Would You Give Up...

Would you give up every thing about yourself now if you could become whatever your society deems "normal"? 

I would do it in the blink of a bat's eye. I'm so sick and tired of being lonely I would do just about anything to be able to be a more attractive mate for someone. How about you guys?

3 minutes ago, FSENonServiam said:

Would you give up every thing about yourself now if you could become whatever your society deems "normal"? 

I would do it in the blink of a bat's eye. I'm so sick and tired of being lonely I would do just about anything to be able to be a more attractive mate for someone. How about you guys?

Nope. I'd rather just live on an island somewhere with people that accept me. Everyone else can burn.

Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

I think that would make life no longer worthwhile to live.

• Like 6
Anomaly Q3Xr

Nope. I may have my struggles, but I like the person that I am. I like the things that make me different, even if sometimes others don't like those things about me.

• Like 4
Sister Mercurial

Hell no.  Everything that makes me happy in life, I found by escaping the stultifying norms various jerks tried to impose on me. 

• Like 3
Guest Invisible Pumpkin

If I could, maybe I would have done it already, or maybe I haven't tried hard enough, I don't know.

More than been "normal" what I want is to be happy, oh, and rich, because... hahaha :P 

Nah, I'm content with who I am. "Normal" people are so disinteresting to me. But it's also all subjective. To some people I'm the most normal person they know but really just because I'm very reserved so they don't know much more than surface details about me. To others, I'm the weirdest and that's what makes me so lovable to them. Just depends on perspective and what people are used to. Sure I'd love to trade some things about myself out to make life easier but all in all I like who I am with all the pros and cons

• Like 2
StarryNightAllAlone

No, I wouldn't be myself anymore.

• Like 3

no, I'll be my self and nobody one else and if "society"  doesn't like it? who gives a rats arse. honestly I much rather deal with my loneliness and find someone who likes me for me (even if it takes me 50 years😂) than try to be someone else to have a shallow/ boring relationship for a person who doesn't respect diversity.

blunose2772

No. I was tortured as a kid with my mom always wanting me to be "normal" for fear of what people thought about her. Screw "normal"

• Like 8
Deltalorian

I'd skip every single opportunity to become normal in a heartbeat. I am who I am, and I enjoy things in my own little unique way. I really do think that suddenly "becoming normal" would effectively be suicide, it'd be a whole new person, no more, well me. I'd cease to exist if whoever was in my place right now was normal.

• Like 6
Purple Red Panda

No. I'd be miserable and living a lie. There are somethings I wish I could change relating to my mental health and how being on the autism spectrum effects that but when it comes to playing the game of being normal I can't really bring myself to do much more than seems necessary.

• Like 3
everywhere and nowhere

Never. I don't even want to be "normal", it is without value to me. On a broader level, I lack a need to "fit in". Being "typical", being in the majority was never appealing to me - on the contrary, I always found eccentricity, outsider status, minority status much more interesting. On the more specific level of asexuality being considered "abnormal" - I'm much too sex-averse to even tolerate the idea of becoming allosexual, sex-indifferent and/or sex-capable. I'm happy to be asexual and don't want it to change ever in my life.

• Like 2
Lord Jade Cross

Giving up on the traits that make me abnormal?

Spoiler

I aint no stranger to the dove

You know the rules and so do I

Commiting to normalcy aint what Im thinking of

I tell you  I wont be like all those normal  guys

I just want to tell you how Im feeling

Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give it up

Nerver gonna let it down

Never gonna tell a lie and desert me

Gonna make others cry

Tell them to say good bye

Never gonna try to be, a normie

• Like 6
J. van Deijck

Not at all. I am who I am, you either like me or not, it's impossible to please everyone anyway.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Lord Jade Cross said:

Giving up on the traits that make me abnormal?

Reveal hidden contents

I aint no stranger to the dove

You know the rules and so do I

Commiting to normalcy aint what Im thinking of

I tell you  I wont be like all those normal  guys

I just want to tell you how Im feeling

Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give it up

Nerver gonna let it down

Never gonna tell a lie to and desert me

Gonna make others cry

Tell them to say good bye

Never gonna try to be, a normie

Did you just Rick-roll me?😂😂

J. van Deijck
49 minutes ago, everywhere and nowhere said:

Never. I don't even want to be "normal", it is without value to me.

Also, quite this. Choosing being "normal" over being genuine? Must be exhausting, really.

• Like 6
Blue eyes white dragon

Pass

• Like 4

Hell no. I wasted too much of my life fruitlessly trying to be something that I could never be and accepting myself for who I am has been so liberating. If we all had to be the same and 'normal' we would bland mindless drones.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, FSENonServiam said:

I'm so sick and tired of being lonely I would do just about anything to be able to be a more attractive mate for someone. How about you guys?

Life can really be very lonely at times, I feel you on that🧡

I've dealt with loneliness before and trust me, I'm absolutely jealous of the allo-sexuals for all the companions they have to choose from! Literally in the thousands, easy! Someone for everyone, too

If given the chance, I honestly don't know if I'd choose to get to be an allosexual. A lot of times I'd do anything for the opportunity, while some days I am at peace, and others I'm grateful to be ace. But there will never be that chance. Just know you're never alone, so many people come to AVEN because they are feeling alone or isolated. It's our little haven from the outside world! And Hollywood has made virtually everyone insecure about the plainness of reality. 

It is a little vague however if by "attractive" you're talking about the traditional physical sense or about your romantic/sexual orientations being pretty limiting?? It can feel isolating both ways.

Either way, good luck to you 🍀

Captain_Tass

Hell no. I am my abnormalities, insofar as they shape me in the eyes of society, and there's no one else I'd rather be than me.

• Like 4

Like Kermit sings in the song, "It's Not Easy Being Green":

It could make you wonder why
But why wonder, why wonder?
I am green and it'll do fine
It's beautiful and I think it's what I wanna be

It's about accepting yourself for who you are. :D 

• Like 2

Our definition of normal shifts in the span of a hundred years, pretty much every hundred years. Fifty if we're speedrunning it. I've watched for a long time what it is so called normals do. It's almost, almost a staple, that a normal person is ignorant at large to a lot of things. Maybe content with thier life, maybe benign or not.

I don't know if I'd willingly choose to exist in such a state of ignorance, even if it meant I may be happier for a time. But I am tired. Maybe even tired enough that permanent reprieve from my current existence is an appealing, and warrented idea.

• Like 1

I’ve always viewed myself as pretty normal and perfectly ordinary. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
9 hours ago, E said:

Our definition of normal shifts in the span of a hundred years, pretty much every hundred years.

I'd say it shifts with every generation.

But what really is "normal"? I don't know if I could describe it without making it sound like a caricature rather than any real people.

• Like 1