Is it really safe to say "All people who want to be a woman are women"?

Sarah-Sylvia
48 minutes ago, FSENonServiam said:

Yes. You got it.

I haven't thought about it in that context so it's interesting to think about ..

Obviously it's hard to say for sure, but yeah it's possible that you were more predisposed to have sad states, which might explain more easily having depressive issues.

I have had trouble with depression and anxiety, especially anxiety but I didn't have anxiety problems when I was young (before teens). It's hard for me to see me has having a predisposition for it but somehow it got pretty bad later on at some points. Maybe something happened to throw everything off, I don't know.

For being trans, I'd like to think there could've been something when I was young, but I can't really say for sure. Did it build up over time once and after my teens though? yes for sure. I don't know if that ends up meaning much :P, but it's definitely not some random event that changed me, it's just how I happened to grow and feel.

As a side note, I checked very shortly around genes, and there is apparently some research showing some variants that could be tied to trans aspects, though it's still a low percent of trans individuals there who fit the criteria, so in other words the genes can have something to do with it but not for all trans individuals.

They posit the genes in question have to do with receiving signals that help how brain develops in response to some sex hormones. It's possible that it's 'one' way that influences brain development, and so there very well may be trans people who have it and is the reason why they're trans, and I think that's interesting. But it's not the case for everyone trans so there's probably other factors that affect brain development for it, as well as might be things beyond that and early development too.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:09 PM, Sarah-Sylvia said:

For being trans, I'd like to think there could've been something when I was young, but I can't really say for sure. Did it build up over time once and after my teens though? yes for sure. I don't know if that ends up meaning much :P, but it's definitely not some random event that changed me, it's just how I happened to grow and feel.

Regardless of how you think of me and what I believe about transness, its still a wonderful thing how we can have so many different human beings on this planet and how each one has a story all their own. 

Edited by Guest
Sarah-Sylvia

@FSENonServiam I know some trans people who actively look for biological reasons (scientifically) for why they're trans, because it's hard to justify being a certain way sometimes. If it was just a choice, they wouldn't want to disappoint all their partner or family, etc. It's important somehow and about who they are, not just some small inclination. I don't think it's necessary to find exactly how, but I do think it's good to consider that it could be how their brain developed, and beyond.  I think it's silly to think of gender as a social construct, and it actually harms trans individuals by dismissing how they feel about their bodies (especially those with body dysphoria, which quite a few do have). There has to be 'something' inside for who the person is that causes how they feel, whether someone believes it's psychological or beyond. I think it's also biological for posssibly a lot, but it doesn't have to be to validate someone's experience ;p.

Janus the Fox

Please no personal insults or attacks on personal beliefs.  

Janus the Fox

Current Policy Administrator, Covering Announcements, Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Relationships, Gender Discussions, Tea and Sympathy Site Comments

6 hours ago, FSENonServiam said:

@Burgundy Ashe well see I did this thing called research and I listened to ( not iterrupted, not forced my own presumptions onto) trans people of various types and identities. I listened to various scientists who study sexual incongruences ( the word the WHO uses to describe all people whose sexual identity doesn't match their expression) and what I've heard from these individuals is what I've said. My main source was Katie and Arden from the Transatlantic Show 

Well, yes, the latter is definitely research.   /s

Sarah-Sylvia
4 minutes ago, FSENonServiam said:

We can disagree, but does it really matter in the end? No. Its all about how we treat people that matters. I get to typing and arguing and sometimes I forget that to my own detriment. 

I'm not even sure we disagree that much. but yeah definitely about treating others well, respecting can be validating.

8 hours ago, FSENonServiam said:

my point of view I will always be accepting a supportive of trans people which it seems you don't want anyone else to do unless they support your rather parochial viewpoint on the issue

I literally just want you to understand that my gender is not experienced as a state of mind. Sorry if my point is not well argued. I'm not an expert debator. 

• Like 2

In this thread: 

"trans gender feels this certain way"

"No that's not the case for me"

"What are you talking about? I've talked to a ton of trans people and researched the subject extensively. My theory is correct!"

"Seeing a million grey geese doesn't mean no black geese exist"

"A scientist wouldn't talk to you about your theories because you're parochial"

I would say gender for me is an expectation that my body or social connections would happen a certain way but they actually happen differently, and feeling disappointed and frustrated by that. But that is really just the most prominent way I notice gender.

Depression for me is a mental state. I just feel emotionally cloudy or bogged down or tense etc. Gender f for me is not at all like that. It isn’t my mind being a certain way. 

Gender experience for me can also be a disgust response or frustration or anger, or it could be alienation or being disavowed or dissociating

but those are describing being transgender. not what gender actually is. And’ also that is describing my emotional response, not what gender actually is.

I don’t see how an example of a cis person simply not noticing their gender is a mental state. If I was a cis woman I would probably only experience my gender when something sexist happens. I would not notice my gender showering or self grooming or talking to my friends or looking for a date. It would literally not be experienced in these moments for me.

I honestly don’t really feel what I’ve said here is accurate either - I say I’m experiencing gender several times in this post but that’s just the best way to say it given the message. All that I’ve described here is not “gender” it is “The clash of gender not being what it’s supposed to be and the resulting emotions from that clash”

when I’m alone in my room watching YouTube and completely dissociated from my body because my awareness is on YouTube and my thoughts, I do not experience gender. That is what gender is, gender is being authentically you. Gender is relating to other people. Gender is being attractive to people attracted to your gender. Gender is having the correct body. Gender is having the correct voice. Gender is being referred to with the correct pronouns.

• Like 1