Canada - We Made The 6 O'clock News!

will123

Sarah-Sylvia

That was a pretty good clip!
And they used the desire definition, it kinda felt good to hear actually. And in general I felt they worded things pretty well.

Nothing long or detailed, but pretty decent for awareness :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

That was a pretty good clip!
And they used the desire definition, it kinda felt good to hear actually. And in general I felt they worded things pretty well.

Nothing long or detailed, but pretty decent for awareness :)

Yes it was. A friend that I'm out to texted me to say that he had seen it. I replied that I had as well and no complaints from my point of view. Other than a mention of a character possibly being asexual on NCIS a couple of seasons ago, this is the first 'mainstream' mention of asexuality that I have seen. I have read on AVEN where people mention the not so accurate depiction of asexuality in House.

• Like 2

Asexual, also known as “ace,” is a type of sexual orientation, describing someone who doesn’t experience sexual attraction towards people, with an emphasis on making emotional connections instead.

😐

Because sexual people don't form emotional connections that they want to express via sex, they just uhhh... want to bang super hot people for the sake of achieving orgasm...

Asexual – or “Ace” – is a term used to describe someone who does not experience sexual attraction towards people of any gender. On the other end of the sexual attraction scale are allosexuals – those who feel sexual attraction to people of any gender.

Allosexual doesn't mean pansexual...

(I mean, I don't use the term 'allosexual' to mean 'sexual' anyway, but putting that aside for a moment here.)

“When you don’t have sexual attraction, gender kind of stops being a thing.”

Well... not necessarily, no. There are loads of heteroromantic and homoromantic asexuals. Should've been made more clear that that was only her experience, because many romantic aces have gender preferences.

Featuring several demisexuals in the article might make it a bit confusing. Not that there's anything wrong whatsoever with being demisexual, but it might give readers the impression that that's what asexuality is and further the misconception that many asexuals will want sex once they're emotionally connected. At least the... asexual asexuals... should've been featured first to establish a solid idea of what asexuality is before getting into the grey areas.

Just a few observations...

9 hours ago, Ceebs said:

Just a few observations...

You make valid points about the article (which I doubt most allos would take the time to look for), but just the fact that Global had a segment on the news, not some unlikely to be watched lifestyle show is a start. In the years since I've identified as asexual, I have seen stories during Pride week/month (what's next Pride year?) about the LGBT+ community on the three networks, but this is the first time anything specific about asexuality has been broadcast.

I've come out to several folks and not one of them had heard of asexuality. Hopefully in the future a Canuck ace will come out to a friend who will say, 'Oh yeah, I saw a bit on the new about that a couple of years ago'.

• Like 1

Yeah that's fair.

Would be good if people could be a tad more accurate, but yeah, visibility is good of course. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ceebs said:

Yeah that's fair.

Would be good if people could be a tad more accurate, but yeah, visibility is good of course. 

A bit of a TMI ahead

True, I've read articles where asexuality is compared to celibacy and felt so unimpressed. Yes, neither a celibate nor an asexual person are having sex. But in the case of the former, it's a conscious decision to not have sex. Whereas (speaking for myself) I've never had the overwhelming (fill in the blank) to 

Spoiler

fuck someone.

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, will123 said:

Yes it was. A friend that I'm out to texted me to say that he had seen it. I replied that I had as well and no complaints from my point of view. Other than a mention of a character possibly being asexual on NCIS a couple of seasons ago, this is the first 'mainstream' mention of asexuality that I have seen. I have read on AVEN where people mention the not so accurate depiction of asexuality in House.

@Hurta This is the only reference to asexuality that I have seen in a scripted program.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, will123 said:

@Hurta This is the only reference to asexuality that I have seen in a scripted program.

I hadn't even heard of that one, but ywah I'll look into it. There's so few that I'm surprised this is new to me.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Hurta said:

I hadn't even heard of that one, but ywah I'll look into it. There's so few that I'm surprised this is new to me.

It wasn't a recurring character in the show. A roommate thought she was asexual since as long as she had known her, she had shown no interest in sex. (she had to explain asexuality to the investigators). 

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
fantastic mx. foxglove

(Below is an official, green mod message)

Hello,

As part of our project to archive and index resources posted in World Watch, this thread is being archived and moved to the 2022 Archive forum.

To visit the Archive, see this link: https://www.asexuality.org/en/forum/108-world-watch-archive/

If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to myself or another moderator via PM.

Best,

fantastic mx. foxglove

Arcade moderator and covering moderator for World Watch

Edited by fantastic mx. foxglove