Writing a paper on why asexuality is valid and I need suggestions

DarthShakespeare

DarthShakespeare

I am writing a paper on why asexuality is valid for my class and I was wondering if anyone knows some good articles or video essays. My paper is split into three parts: the stigma of asexuality, lack of representation, and lack of acceptance. Personal anecdotes would be great as well.

• Like 2

You might be able to contact one of the moderators and see if it's ok to  to use some of the information this site gives on asexuality, or even point you in the right direction.

• Like 1
DarthShakespeare
2 minutes ago, NHD said:

You might be able to contact one of the moderators and see if it's ok to  to use some of the information this site gives on asexuality, or even point you in the right direction.

Good idea, I'll try that! Thanks! Although I am not sure how to contact them...

Edited by DarthShakespeare
clarification
Just now, DarthShakespeare said:

Good idea, I'll try that! Thanks!

You're welcome.

Hi. Here's some information about class projects, research requests, etc. that I can give you, from AVEN's TOS.

3.2 Researchers and Students requests

If you want or need to make a survey, a research or a study recruiting AVEN members, please make sure to follow the rules for researchers and students established by the Project Team.

AVEN has rules regarding using members' posts for class projects, research, etc., especially for members who are underage. Members' posts aren't anonymous if they're posted on AVEN and used for a class project, research, etc., but are connected to a member's account, where others can find/search for their quote used in a class project, research, etc.

tagging Project Team @kelico @michaeld @Jarle

• Like 1
nanogretchen4

From the subtopics in your paper, it seems your paper is actually about ways asexuals are discriminated against or oppressed. I recommend not at all framing this as an argument for the validity of asexuality, because that is like saying that the validity of asexuality is a matter of opinion or a legitimate topic for debate. Just assume it goes without saying that asexuality exists and is valid. Maybe quote some statistics about the size of the asexual community from studies with a large sample size in your intro. Then those three problems you mention could be framed as areas of focus for the asexual movement and allies.

• Like 2
Lord Revan

Go through the census archives, maybe you'll find something

On 5/31/2022 at 1:12 PM, DarthShakespeare said:

I am writing a paper on why asexuality is valid for my class and I was wondering if anyone knows some good articles or video essays. My paper is split into three parts: the stigma of asexuality, lack of representation, and lack of acceptance. Personal anecdotes would be great as well.

*No one is entitled to sex or intimacy from anyone

*No one should  be entitled to dictate ones orientation/courtship behaviors based on what they believe is the right method 

*Relationships between consenting adults should be respected 

*People have a right to not desire sex or relationships

*All attractions aside from animals/children attraction are Valid orientations and should be respected 

*Just because an orientation does not match your own doesn't mean its always bad 

• Like 2
Divide By Zero

If you're looking for articles, check out the World Watch section.

AstrophelDragon

If you want a book suggestion...

Ace: What Asexuality Reveals About Desire, Society, and the Meaning of Sex by Angela Chen

Idk if it exactly relates to what you are talking about, and I don't exactly agree with all of it, but it's interesting

• 6 months later...

I'm writing about why asexuality is valid for my class, and I was wondering if anyone knew of some good articles or video essays resumes planet review My paper is divided into three parts: asexuality stigma, lack of representation, and lack of acceptance. Personal anecdotes would be great too. You can also think about it.

AlmightySeaOtter

Here's a list of acephobic comments denying the existance of sex-favorable asexuals (only including upvoted comments) https://pdfhost.io/v/lH5iHSN8c_aphobiafromrshitposting

All of these are from one reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/dankmemes/comments/zkmsca/this_stuff_is_more_complicated_than_i_expected/

Sounds like a good paper - I hope we can read it here when it's done.

Try this book - "The Invisible Orientation," I read it and thought it was good.

I second the person who said Ace by Angela Chen!

I also would like to add Refusing Compulsory Sexuality by Sherronda J. Brown!