Urgent Advice Needed Please About Getting Life Insurance Quote (She will be ringing back in a few hours)

If when you say "reviews" you mean comments supposedly made by real people, they're not reliable.  Good reviews are likely to be made by company employees, and bad reviews often are not entirely truthful -- often they're submitted by people who are pissed off because they didn't get as much claims money as they thought they should.  Reviews by professional organizations are what should be taken into account.  

Perhaps you should consider whether you really need life insurance.  If you have a medical history that means you will be paying a lot, perhaps there's another strategy -- if you need to leave someone $$ when you pass.  There are other ways to do that.  There may be a legal clinic in your area where you can get a half hour of advice for relatively little $$.  

5 hours ago, Sally said:

Perhaps you should consider whether you really need life insurance. 

I am the solo parent of two young children, and have literally nothing to hand to the person (my brother) who would have to care for them if anything happened to me. So yes it's definitely needed, but I just need to know I am going with the best possible option before signing up for anything!

5 hours ago, Sally said:

There are other ways to do that.

I have nothing, probably everything I own equals maybe $8,000 at most - but also none of it could really be re-sold for much value as it is all second-hand.

5 hours ago, Sally said:

If when you say "reviews" you mean comments supposedly made by real people, they're not reliable.  Good reviews are likely to be made by company employees, and bad reviews often are not entirely truthful -- often they're submitted by people who are pissed off because they didn't get as much claims money as they thought they should.  Reviews by professional organizations are what should be taken into account.  

I have worked online (with the internet etc) since around 2012 so have a pretty good background when it comes to trying to sus out reviews. Out of individual reviews (ie Google and Facebook - people i can confirm are real by looking at their history) it's the most highly reviewed. It just makes it really hard to know exactly what to do and who to go with. I may still end up going with this company, but pretty much it seems that it'll be a gamble no matter who I go with. It's very stressful, but it's also really important there is something there just in case. argh.

Thanks for trying to help!

Lord Jade Cross
On 5/21/2022 at 1:03 AM, Major West said:

I agree with all of that, but there is very little free support to aid in choosing between the few life insurance companies available, and this one is actually the most highly reviewed of the bunch. There are a few that are more widely-known, and the independent resources rate them extremely highly, but their actual reviews from individual people are atrocious - refusal to honour claims and all sorts. Also it turns out that apparently any history of mental illness puts you at as high risk as a smoker, so premiums more than double if say, you had mental issues 20 years ago or were even considered to be diagnosed with any mental illness (even if you didn't get an actual diagnosis), and PTSD is even worse apparently. This sucks and to be honest, it's starting to seem like just another way the wealthy can screw over the poor who are seeking help out of desperation as they know there will be nothing to support their family if anything bad happens :c

Have only had one cigarette in my life (almost 20 years ago!) but my premiums are as high as a full-time smokers despite my very tame lifestyle (and they didn't even take drinking into account! there is an automatic clause where if you die as a result of alcohol then no payment will be made, so they don't care if you're a heavy drinker or not)

Lovely 😒 so the MO is the same regardless of location. I thought it was only here that these companies employed the "you better drink only water and eat only lettuce, never suffer any possible psychological and/or biological condition" Do they also only cover 1 medical visit a year?

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, naseemrural said:

Did you manage to get quotes from insurance companies?

I ended up abandoning the venture  D: it was so stressful and I felt kind of taken advantage of, as a relatively healthy person who doesn't smoke or anything. All they cared about was that I'd had issues with mental illness in my teens (over a decade ago when I was in a really bad life situation, hence why I struggled so badly at that time). My money is no different than anyone else's, but it's like I'm less deserving or something so have to pay way more EVEN THOUGH there is no payout if my death would be linked in any way to mental illness. So... if there's no payout, why would my costs almost double per week just because of those issues I had over a decade ago? BLERGH

I also ended up with a rescue cat (I am not a pet person but mum rescued her then couldn't look after her, and I felt too bad for the cat being a stray again if that makes sense? she has had a hard life and had her ribs broken from being kicked and stuff, and was going to be shot when mum rescued her) ..so now the money I would have spent on the life insurance is spent on cat food instead! 

I guess the only real solution is I have to get rich so I can put plenty of money in savings for if anything happens 😕 

(KNOCK ON WOOD)

Thanks for asking ^_^ 

Lord Jade Cross

Sorry to hear that the life insurance situation didnt go well. Maybe you could look into something like investments, bonds? Not saying its a surefire solution but maybe it will help?