Does one have to indentify as trans if...

So I have always been a bit eccentric. Even as a child I was considered corky and some teachers have described me as flamboyant. As an adult most read me as queer and some very homophobic people dismiss for being that even without confirmation. But I have this one person in particular who insists I am transgender. All becuase I do things which they find none heteronormative. Generally if given the option I identify as agender but thats becuase I have no strong connection to my gender identity. I also not gonna go out of my to correct people if they guess my sex wrong in person. As I dont think it matters but like is this just the label being pushed on me or? 

No. Anyone is free to be as gender non-conforming as they want and still identify with their birth sex. Being trans is far more complicated than just being about how you behave or look, or even whether your biological sex means anything to you at all. I'm a cis woman and nothing about me makes me feel particularly female; I just feel like a person -- and I still identify as a woman because I can't find anything about who I am that makes me feel like anything else either.

• Like 11
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

I don't think the cisgender-transgender binary is any more useful for me than the male-female one, but I say that with a grain of salt as someone who is AMAB NB and wants to possibly transition medically for strictly gender-perception reasons. I'm transgender in the very loosest sense imaginable to me, but I don't identify that way. Identifying as NB is more about labeling how I've always felt and distancing myself from the concept of gender overall, so I don't really see myself in the common sense as transitioning my gender (or sex). I am "not cisgender"...I am therefore trans by default.

GingerRose
1 hour ago, Reindeer said:

So I have always been a bit eccentric. Even as a child I was considered corky and some teachers have described me as flamboyant. As an adult most read me as queer and some very homophobic people dismiss for being that even without confirmation. But I have this one person in particular who insists I am transgender. All becuase I do things which they find none heteronormative. Generally if given the option I identify as agender but thats becuase I have no strong connection to my gender identity. I also not gonna go out of my to correct people if they guess my sex wrong in person. As I dont think it matters but like is this just the label being pushed on me or? 

Insisting an identity at all sounds rather bothersome. 

• Like 1

People shouldn't be pushing labels onto you.

• Like 3
coolshades

It's not anyone's place to tell you how to identify.  That person is being rude, in my opinion, and I think you should tell them to stop.

• Like 1
The French Unicorn

You are the only one who can decide how you identify. Not feeling strongly connected to a gender doesn't mean you are agender. I don't, and I al still a ciswoman. Same about gender stereotypes.

If you want to question your gender and adopt the label agender, you are free of doing so. If you don't want to, you are also free of not doing it. No one should push a label on you, this is rude.

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

Moved to Gender Discussions

Janus the Fox

Cover Asexual Relationships, Gender Discussions, Tea & Sympathy, Current Questions about Asexuality, Romantic and Aromantic Orientations and Site Comments Moderator

• Like 1
TheSmolFoxWeeb

Nobody should tell you how you identify. That is up to you, and you alone.

• Like 1