Hoarding Tendencies

uniQChick

Hoarding Tendencies  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Disorders Categories:

• Hoarding Disorder
    • Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)
    • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    • Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
    • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    • Depression
    • Other disorders (kindly specify below)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Hoarding percentage of your house:

• 0% Zen-like minimalism
    • 0 > 5% My house is clean
    • 5 > 25% Clutter
    • 25 > 50% Mess
    • 50 > 75% Disaster
    • 75 > 100% Nightmare
    • I refuse to tell the truth

This poll is closed to new votes

RoseGoesToYale

Just wanted to pop in here and ask that people please not refer to people with hoarding disorder as "hoarders". It's as offensive as calling someone with depression a "depressie" and it prevents people struggling with from coming out and getting help.

My father had hoarding disorder, and as a result, I purge from time to time, i.e. going through everything I own and trashing large amounts of stuff that I don't need. Just reading this thread is giving me the urge to go do it right now.

• Like 3

I used to have a hoarding disorder with files on my PC, and to this day I still have a hoarding disorder with installed games, it is only now that I can delete the ones I'm done playing but I have to absolutely be sure I won't need it again, although with an uncapped super fast internet connection, I really don't need to worry about re-downloading a game if I make a mistake.

Which is one of the reasons I have been able to bring myself to delete the games I am not playing now, I do have tones of SSD and HDD space though, although I use the HDDs in my machine just for media and the SSDs just for games.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Just wanted to pop in here and ask that people please not refer to people with hoarding disorder as "hoarders". It's as offensive as calling someone with depression a "depressie" and it prevents people struggling with from coming out and getting help.

My father had hoarding disorder, and as a result, I purge from time to time, i.e. going through everything I own and trashing large amounts of stuff that I don't need. Just reading this thread is giving me the urge to go do it right now.

Sorry. I edited my post. And thanks for the heads up about that! :) 

Yeah, I could probably stand to do a good clear out even if I am not hoarding. I probably have plenty of stuff I don't need and maybe never will use.

Edited by daveb
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Hmmm, I think I will go back and make sure my posts are up to snuff too.

Edit: done and done.

• Like 2

I have never been diagnosed with a disorder but tbh my place is somewhere between disaster and nightmare. Most of it is just getting distracted, setting something down because I need my hands for something, and forgetting about it until much later. 

Edited by Clowel
  • Like 3
everywhere and nowhere

I refuse to think about my mind in categories of health and illness. I don't even believe that all of the "disorders" above necessary are disorders, I'm against medicalising every tiniest behaviour.

My house is messy because I don't like cleaning it up and I do have a tendency to hoard things, but why should it be something bad? If I like the way some object looks like and think that it's a pity to throw it away, is it in any tiniest sense pathological? This is part of the disagreements between my mom and me - dust is one thing, but she also likes a more modern style and believes that, given my allergy, I should keep my house as minimalistic as possible to avoid dust accumulation. But I like decorativeness, it's something which goes even beyond pure esthetics - this esthetic aspect is tied to all my passionate, spiritual love for diversity, to my reflections from the area of extreme philosophy about what does the word "everything" really mean, and refusing to live in a simple environment is also a way of expressing this feeling...

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

@uniQChick

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator