What's with the Triangle?

As the subject asks, what's with the triangle as a symbol? I barely understand it with gays. It was used to identify them by the nazi party. Why not reclaim it.

But, I don't see the upside down triangle with homosexuality so much as I do the rainbow.

So, who decided on the white-to-black gradient on an upside down triangle, and was there much of a reason?

Sorry if this is an obvious thing- but it and the choice of "asexual" still confuse me. :aven: :shock:

As for gays and the triangle, I honestly don't know. :lol:

As for the AVEN triangle, it represents the Kinsey scale. While the actual scale is just a horizontal line, asexuality doesn't really fit on that line, so we made the scale a triangle. :D

Spinneret's avatar explains it really well...

queer-icon.jpg

The bottom is shaded, because the bottom point represents asexuality. Shading it in "selects" it. :D

Noskcaj.Llahsram

The gays have a triangle because they're symbol hungry, and also colour hungry,

Really thats my only Qualm with them, I feel as though black, white, infrared, and ultraviolet are not enough colours to get dresses in, except for suits, only good ones are these colours, well and navy

Really thats my only Qualm with them, I feel as though black, white, infrared, and ultraviolet are not enough colours to get dresses in, except for suits, only good ones are these colours, well and navy

Yeah... I remember one comedy routine. "Geez, gays, hogging a whole spectrum? That's really selfish"

They actually apply symbolism to each color! >_< Ok, guys... leave some stuff for the rest of the world. You don't need a rainbow and a whole bunch of junk stuck on your shirt to be proud of being gay or show your support.

My qualm there is that I like rainbows a lot, and I don't like the stupid "Oh, you're wearing rainbow so you must be gay. Hurrhurr." I just like bright colors! Maximum saturation, baby!!!

Actually, gays have a pink triangle because that's what the Nazis put on them. Historical. Other groups had other colors - black for antisocials, blue for immigrants, brown for Gypsies, green for criminals, purple for Jehovah's Witnesses, red for politicals, and yellow for Jews. They just had to make sure that they knew the ones who were NOT Aryan!

Actually, gays have a pink triangle because that's what the Nazis put on them. Historical. Other groups had other colors - black for antisocials, blue for immigrants, brown for Gypsies, green for criminals, purple for Jehovah's Witnesses, red for politicals, and yellow for Jews. They just had to make sure that they knew the ones who were NOT Aryan!

I know that- but you don't see antisocials, immigrants, gypsies, criminals, Jehovah's Witnesses, Politicals, or Jews using triangles to show pride?

And I thought jews was a gold star of david.

According to my info, it also was a yellow triangle. That apparently was in the concetration camps. And the GLBT folks that I know do not use the pink triangle, or at least not these days. They have many other ways to identify each other, and I don't know most of them, just the rainbow.

As the subject asks, what's with the triangle as a symbol? I barely understand it with gays. It was used to identify them by the nazi party. Why not reclaim it.

But, I don't see the upside down triangle with homosexuality so much as I do the rainbow.

So, who decided on the white-to-black gradient on an upside down triangle, and was there much of a reason?

Sorry if this is an obvious thing- but it and the choice of "asexual" still confuse me. :aven: :shock:

In Gnostic society the upside down triangle shows the path to Amenti/Heaven thus the upside down triangle represents Pure undefiled enlightenment and happiness. I hope this helps.

Pink = Love

Blue = Sorrow

Red = Angry

Green = Peace

Yellow/Gold = God

Etc.

Yeah... I remember one comedy routine. "Geez, gays, hogging a whole spectrum? That's really selfish"

They actually apply symbolism to each color! >_< Ok, guys... leave some stuff for the rest of the world. You don't need a rainbow and a whole bunch of junk stuck on your shirt to be proud of being gay or show your support.

My qualm there is that I like rainbows a lot, and I don't like the stupid "Oh, you're wearing rainbow so you must be gay. Hurrhurr." I just like bright colors! Maximum saturation, baby!!!

At one point a few years ago I was seriously going into the slogan business and making T-Shirts and buttons that say "I'm not gay, I just like rainbows!"

As for gays and the triangle, I honestly don't know. :lol:

As for the AVEN triangle, it represents the Kinsey scale. While the actual scale is just a horizontal line, asexuality doesn't really fit on that line, so we made the scale a triangle. :D

Spinneret's avatar explains it really well...

queer-icon.jpg

The bottom is shaded, because the bottom point represents asexuality. Shading it in "selects" it. :D

I like Thoth's pyramid and sphinx even more.

At one point a few years ago I was seriously going into the slogan business and making T-Shirts and buttons that say "I'm not gay, I just like rainbows!"

Ha! I would buy one.

Ha! I would buy one.

Hehe! I like rainbows too. "Every time you see my rainbow... know that I shall never flood the earth with a deluge again." < God

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I would buy one.

same here!

I know the story behind the triangle...

In the concentration camps, the pink upside-down triangle denoted homosexual men, as well as other "undesirable" men (Gypsies, the disabled, etc.). For women, supposed witches and single "undesirable" women, often lesbians, were given a black upside down triangle.

Gay men and lesbians reclaimed these symbols as power symbols because triangles are the strongest shapes and often denote good things.

Bisexuals built off this triangle idea and have two intersecting triangles to denote "bisexuality". Asexuals have, in the same fashion, built off the original triangle idea and incorporated the Kinsey scale to denote asexuality.

I'm pretty sure that's it. :D

Ha! I remember the first time I was asked if I was a lesbian because I was wearing a lot of rainbow winter-wear, and I just collapsed giggling. Their faces were so embarrassed bless 'em.

Thankfully, noone over the age of 15 has ever asked me that. They seem to know better thank goodness.

Guest Alchemist_of_Ice

Lol if I was able to change my username off and on, I'd temporarily change it to pyramid_head (like from silent hill) and put the AVEN triangle as my icon lol.

Ha! I would buy one.

Hee, I've seen magnets that say that. :wink:

The triangle definitely originates from the Nazi camps. Why do they still use it and other groups don't use their symbols? It was because the gay people wanted to make it their own. They wanted to take this stigma and turn it into something they could rally behind.

And it worked.

People see the yellow David star and they think holocaust.

People see the pink, purple, or rainbow triangle and they think of gay pride.

Very few know the true origins of the triangle, and hardly anyone correlates it with the Holocaust in which it originated. It has become a symbol of hope for the gay people. Now I call that a success.

TheBlueGreenie

I thought we used a triangle because we were setting up a Pyramid scheme. So you tell a friend and then they tell a friend and so on and so forth.

I thought we used a triangle because we were setting up a Pyramid scheme. So you tell a friend and then they tell a friend and so on and so forth.

Yeah, and I'm still waiting for that new mp3 player!

Ha! I would buy one.

Hee, I've seen magnets that say that. :wink:

Dang! I'm too late! :wink: