Favorite episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender

Mackenzie Holiday

Mackenzie Holiday

For those who watched the show, what was your favorite episode of Avatar, and why? If you can’t pick just one, what’s your top 3?

• Like 2
Friendlymushroom23

1. The Beach hands down because we actually got to see the human side of Azula, Mai and Ty lee which I loved! Plus the four of them on holiday was just so funny, the volleyball match and then trashing the party always make me laugh. 

• Like 5
StarryNightAllAlone

In no particular order (the numbers represent the season and episode number):

1. The Storm - 1.12 because in this episode we saw the parallels between Aang and Zuko's backstories.

2The Desert - 2.11 because we saw Aang and the gang reach their breaking points.

3. The Puppetmaster - 3.8 because of the twists and turns the story took, along with the creepy atmosphere.

4. Day of Black Sun (Part 1 and 2) - 3.10 & 3.11 because the war was at a critical point and many exciting and surprising things happened.

5. The Southern Raiders - 3.16 would probably be my favorite episode if I had to pick only one. I found it very powerful, moving, and it cemented my love for Katara (I know a lot of people have an issue with her behavior in this episode, but all I felt was empathy for her pain.) 

6. Sozin's Comet (All 4 Parts) - 3.18 thru 3.21 because the ending was glorious and epic.

• Like 5
Blue eyes white dragon

The headband in season 3 because we see how the fire nation manipulates its citizens into thinking their are doing everything for the greater good but the citizens can't do a lot of expressing. Aang comes in to help plant the seeds of change and help them have fun. Also Wang and Sapphire Fire 🤣🤣. And I loved the dance/bending form performed by Aang and katara

• Like 3

Sokka's Master  Because for the first time Sokka starts to believe in himself, and also because Uncle Iroh turns himself into a beast!

• Like 3
Milque Toast
1 hour ago, Friendlymushroom23 said:

1. The Beach hands down because we actually got to see the human side of Azula, Mai and Ty lee which I loved! Plus the four of them on holiday was just so funny, the volleyball match and then trashing the party always make me laugh. 

The Beach was the first episode that came to mind. I love it when shows show the "greyness" of people. It shows Azula, Mai, Ty Lee, and Zuko aren't pure evil. There's a side of them that we actually find that we love, empathise with, or understand. And because that's so true in real life, I appreciate shows making characters just that little bit more complex. And yeah, the humour was good in this episode too.

• Like 2
verily-forsooth-egads

Honestly gotta be Ember Island Players. Followed by the one where Zuko joins the Gaang, I know that's the easy answer but… come on.

• Like 3

The Storm because of how well it captures the mood of Season 1 (which imo is better than the mood in seasons 2 or 3)

also The Drill because it was so satisfying how everything came together in the end

Captain_Tass

I haven't watched ATLA since the (very) early 2010s, when it was still (re-)airing on Nickelodeon Greece, so my memory is fuzzy, but I have to say that I really loved two episodes.

1) The Guru. It was a stunning episode that really made an impression on me when I was a kid. The first time I watched it, I must have been around 9 years old. I loved how Guru Pathik was explaining all these concepts to Aang and how we saw Toph metalbend. I remember that at some point after watching this episode, I was sitting cross-legged on a desk, and when my grandparents came in to ask what the hell I was doing sitting on the table like that, I calmly explained that "I was trying to open my chakras". See, I thought that because I had no girlfriend to keep me tied down to the world, I'd do better than Aang. Alas, no chakras were opened that day. Because I was 9 and using Avatar: the last Airbender as a how-to guide.

2)  Nightmares and Daydreams. I first watched this when I was 9 as well. I really related to Aang, because I too was an anxious ball of anxiety, and I didn't even have a firelord to beat and a world to save. I really appreciated how surreal that episode was, and the fight between Appa and Momo was priceless. Also, it had some epic lines. I still quote "No, Firelord Ozai, YOU'RE not wearing pants!" to my friends and we all laugh. Lastly, I loved its conclusion, and how Aang was at last in peace.

• Like 3

I haven't seen the show in years. I watched it when it first aired back in 05. Even then, I'm bad with episode names in general. 

First of all, every quality show needs a beach episode. 

Second, the episode where the gang goes to see a play about their adventures. 

On a more serious note, the episode where an old lady teaches Katara blood bending, and the one where Zuko ditches Iroh and defends a poor village from the Earth Kingdom. 

• Like 3
StarryNightAllAlone

@Zhorin The Beach was funny and surprisingly touching. The Ember Island Players was hilarious because the show runners used play tropes and called out mistakes they made. It was a creative and interesting recap. It was also awkward. The Puppermaster is one of my favorite episodes, too. It was so dark and creepy. Zuko Alone was also a powerful episode. The whole show was so good. It's hard to choose the best episodes!

• Like 4
Arctangent

Oof, it's hard to pick...  so many good ones...

The episode where Zuko and Azula have their Agni Kai is definitely up there for me. Just a beautifully executed resolution to their character arcs, and probably more emotionally impactful for me than the final fight between Aang and Ozai. "Zuko Alone" is another one I really enjoy. We get some of Zuko's backstory; it feels very introspective and sad. I like the ending especially because whereas other shows might allow Zuko to be seen as a hero right away, he has to work to overcome his past first. I also like "The Southern Raiders" - we get to see a darker side of Katara, and get a gimpse of how horrifying her power could be without her self-restraint and moral compass (I audibly gasped the first time I saw it when she started bloodbending) but ultimately she chooses not to kill the man who killed her mother, and forgives Zuko. It's cool to see Zuko and Katara work together as well, and it feels fitting that Zuko would be the one to accompany her for this mission considering his own past. I don't think it would have worked as well with some of the younger, more carefree cast members.

So those are the three that I can think of off the top of my head as being the most emotionally impactful for me personally. But a lot of the others people already mentioned are really good too. Honestly, most of the episodes are quite good, with only one that sticks out to me as being a low point ("The Geat Divide"). Honorable mention goes to "Appa's Lost Days" for being a lot more dark and gripping than I ever would have expected for an Appa-focused episode.

• Like 2
On 5/15/2022 at 4:25 PM, StarryNightAllAlone said:

The whole show was so good. It's hard to choose the best episodes!

On 5/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, Arctangent said:

Oof, it's hard to pick...  so many good ones...

Yeah it is. Those are just the ones that stuck with me for some reason. 

• Like 2