Misconceptions you hear about yourself

J. van Deijck

J. van Deijck
3 minutes ago, LeChat said:

and not be sexually harassed by other adults

...that too :( I hate when creepy people hit on me, like, what do you even think.

• Like 1

@alsjeblieft Yeah. I feel uncomfortable when that happens, too.

Since other people seem to have that happen to them, a lot/often, I feel, lucky, though, that that doesn't seem to happen to me, as much.

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed is that if I go to banks that are not the usual branches I frequent, the tellers there don't know me, so they take one look at me and think he's too young to be liquid, then once they look in my accounts their demeanor changes almost immediately and then they start calling me sir and bowing and scraping and all.... 🤣

J. van Deijck

At least I'm respected in my work, but it's more strangers who assume things.

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

Because of where I live, people assume I'm fluent in French. Nope, Dutch or English in my case.

• Like 2
Ella of Frell
18 hours ago, alsjeblieft said:

This as well. Sometimes I'm still being mistaken for a teenager.

Same. And I teach at a university. It's a bit annoying when I get a new class and all the teenage boys feel the need to test me like they don't believe I'm intelligent or qualified enough to be a professor. 

• Like 3
Ella of Frell
17 hours ago, LeChat said:

I'd really appreciate being treated with the same respect I've seen other adults receive, automatically, from others, though. It's hard and tiring, feeling as though I have to work a lot harder than others, often, just to prove to others I'm competent, knowledgeable, etc., in order to, finally, receive, a bit, of respect.

Yes. I am the same and being a woman in academia is difficult enough. It feels like I constantly have to prove myself when any middle aged man can say whatever they want and everyone automatically assumes they know what they are talking about. 

• Like 3
Ella of Frell
5 minutes ago, LeChat said:

@beta_moon Ah, yes. I'm sorry, you have to go through that.

Thank you. I'm sorry you have to deal with the same. I know how despairing it can be. 

• Like 3
coolshades

Most misconceptions I've heard about me are based on my beliefs.  Since I believe/think X, then Y must be true about me.  I'm used to hearing it, but it is still upsetting sometimes.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 10:51 PM, alsjeblieft said:

Because of where I live, people assume I'm fluent in French. Nope, Dutch or English in my case.

So you're from Belgium?

Anyway, many people who see me for the first time think I'm fifteen-ish but actually I'm almost 20

• Like 2
J. van Deijck
4 minutes ago, szarlotka said:

So you're from Belgium?

Yup. Not everyone is fluent in French here :P

5 minutes ago, szarlotka said:

Anyway, many people who see me for the first time think I'm fifteen-ish but actually I'm almost 20

And this is more or less the same, people think I'm younger than I am, somewhere around your age. But I'm more than 10 years older than you :lol:

• Like 2
Tree snake

I have a neutral I'm-bored-out-off-my-mind face.

I look bored, I fiddle with my phone (or anything else I can get my hands on) when I'm paying attention. The more bored and un-focused I look = the more attention I'm paying. 
If I'm looking you in they eyes, looking like I'm focused on what's going on = I'm not paying attention. 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck
On 5/28/2022 at 10:28 PM, FeichtKatze said:

I have a neutral I'm-bored-out-off-my-mind face.

I look bored, I fiddle with my phone (or anything else I can get my hands on) when I'm paying attention. The more bored and un-focused I look = the more attention I'm paying. 
If I'm looking you in they eyes, looking like I'm focused on what's going on = I'm not paying attention. 

That must be confusing other people at times :lol: but it's interesting.

J. van Deijck

Anyways, one of the misconceptions I often hear about myself is that I'm Dutch. It's actually fun sometimes :lol: and breaks when I start talking.

• Like 1