What do you do when you see a wall of text

AVENites reading wall of texts  

79 members have voted

1. 1. If you see a wall of text that seem unmanageable for you to read, what do you do?

• Try to read it altogether
    • Skim, and read for a bit
    • Skim, and just try to get a basic understanding
    • Take a peek and see what's it about, but not skimming or reading it
    • Skip it altogether. Why even bother?
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

One of the worst for me is red/orange text on a gray background (I have encountered sites that do that), but even on a plain white background orange especially can be difficult.

Then there is text with some graphics or picture as a background, especially if it's not muted way down. Sort of the equivalent of background music in a video where people are talking (or perfume/cologne/aftershave/etc. when people drench themselves with it :P ). The background images or music really needs to be more muted than it sometimes is (too often is). :P 

Getting a bit far afield. Basically, a wall of text can be another impediment to good communication/interaction. If you want people to pay attention it doesn't help to hit them over the head and knock them unconscious. :lol: 

Squirrel Combat

I will slog through the whole thing.

Tree snake

Depends heavily on my level of motivation to read the content. 

If it's something I have to read, for work or whatever, but don't find super interesting, I'll skim through it for the basics.

If it's a fanfic with a trope I like and a pairing I like and with a good sum that ticks most my boxes... damn it will read that shit word for word! Or copy/paste it into a Word document and space it.

But as I said, depends on my motivation and determination.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@R_1

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator