If you were dictator

binary suns

If you were dictator, what is the top ten priorities you would have? Order them from highest to lowest priority. Feel free to go beyond ten if you're that passionate about it. Or less, for any reason, yeah. 

You are dictator of your home country, from now until you personally feel no longer fit for duty. Unless something incapacitates you, which would be unfortunate. 

1.  Climate change

2.  LGBTQ+ rights

3.  Education

4.  Healthcare

5.  The right to clean, safe drinking water

6.  Hunger

7.  Homelessness

8.  Dismantling the military-industrial complex

9.  Disability Rights/Advocacy

10.  Universal teaching of American Sign Language

• Like 6
Deltalorian
  1. Massive reduction in carbon output (not much point in being a dictator if I effectively put a cap on how long the world can last)
  2. Reducing the numbers of those homeless
  3. Improving the quality of education
  4. Declaring war on France
  5. Improving the healthcare system to be more accessible and just better overall
  6. Maximising food supply
  7. Workers rights
  8. Equality in general
  9. Better public transportation
  10. Improving the quality of the water supply
  • Like 1

1. Establishing sustainability

2. Working on addressing the expensive healthcare, education, and housing costs we're seeing

3. Establishing rights for any group that needs rights (for example, the right to a safe abortion, or the right to marry, etc)

4. Improving primary schools

5. find ways to regulate capitalism so that it is healthier for the country as a whole

6. genetic research

7. provide some kind of support for drug users to get support so that they can risk less and move away from abuse.

8. improve the imigration process

9. replacing single use plastic with alternatives

10. discussing and establishing how to leave the government in a better way for the people, with the intention of passing rule off after I'm satisfied I've done enough

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Deltalorian said:
  1. Massive reduction in carbon output (not much point in being a dictator if I effectively put a cap on how long the world can last)
  2. Reducing the numbers of those homeless
  3. Improving the quality of education
  4. Declaring war on France
  5. Improving the healthcare system to be more accessible and just better overall
  6. Maximising food supply
  7. Workers rights
  8. Equality in general
  9. Better public transportation
  10. Improving the quality of the water supply

why declare war on France? Are they doing something I don't know about due to living under a rock?

Deltalorian
Just now, Burgundy Ashe said:

why declare war on France? Are they doing something I don't know about due to living under a rock?

I'm the kind of person who if given control of a country, would go less than a few hours before declaring war on someone else. France is just really close to where I live (UK) and so if I'm to be declaring war, it just makes sense. Plus, with the results of the Brexit referendum - a decent portion of the population would likely support it, so I'm less likely to get killed by dissenting citizens. This is why I'm not going to be a politician.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Burgundy Ashe said:

You are dictator of your home country, from now until you personally feel no longer fit for duty.

I'd immediately declare myself unfit for duty. I wouldn't want that job in a million years.

• Like 13

1. construction is illegal. only for humans though. if you want something built, get beaver, pond, and some wood, and what you get is what you get.
2. trawling and mass fishing is legal, but you have to kill whatever you fish up in hand-to-hand combat. if you bycatch a shark or poisonous jellyfish.... good luck!
3. everyone drives on the left now. not for any practical reason just to cause the trouble of switching over
4. daylight savings time is abolished and replaced with daylight losings time, which is the same clock-switching but reversed
5. the national animal is now the capybara. they aren't native here or anything i just think they're neat
6. pigeon's suffrage
7. assign a number to each province. find an online rng thing. whatever number comes up, that province is independent now. bye bye
8. the modern kinda blindingly white minimalist style of room design is banned. the rest are jokey but this one's dead serious it's so ugly
9. lists cannot have more than nine items

• Like 4
TestingInProd
42 minutes ago, Lady Telecaster said:

I'd immediately declare myself unfit for duty. I wouldn't want that job in a million years.

Yeah this would be cause for reflection on how things managed to go so horribly wrong that I was in such a position.

• Like 3

1. Rehab (alcohol, drugs etc.) 

2. Places to stay if you're in an abusive relationship

3. Climate change

4. LGBTQIA+ rights

5. If the topic that everyone is voting on involves Under 18s they should be allowed to vote

6. Therapy more open, easier to get diagnosed with anxiety, depression etc. without parents needing to help

7. More disability rights

8. Neurodiversity awareness

9. Get better at fixing homelessness

10. Keep up the NHS

11. get better at solving hunger and stuff

12. no daylight savings that shit's stupid

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, gwennol said:

1. construction is illegal. only for humans though. if you want something built, get beaver, pond, and some wood, and what you get is what you get.
2. trawling and mass fishing is legal, but you have to kill whatever you fish up in hand-to-hand combat. if you bycatch a shark or poisonous jellyfish.... good luck!
3. everyone drives on the left now. not for any practical reason just to cause the trouble of switching over
4. daylight savings time is abolished and replaced with daylight losings time, which is the same clock-switching but reversed
5. the national animal is now the capybara. they aren't native here or anything i just think they're neat
6. pigeon's suffrage
7. assign a number to each province. find an online rng thing. whatever number comes up, that province is independent now. bye bye
8. the modern kinda blindingly white minimalist style of room design is banned. the rest are jokey but this one's dead serious it's so ugly

Where do I apply to become a citizen of your country?

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, gwennol said:

6. pigeon's suffrage

This sounds amazing can I come there

• Like 2

I’d move to the countryside and tell the citizenry “Figure it out, leave me alone”. Yeah, I’d be a pretty hands-off dictator.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Calliers said:

Where do I apply to become a citizen of your country?

7 minutes ago, Ithinkimace said:

This sounds amazing can I come there

apply for citizenship via cheap card. birthday, condolences, congratulations, doesn't matter; if it's funny enough, you get in 😄

• Like 3

1. Start aggressive climate change programs, including an immediate ramp up of sustainable energy sources and make carbon emission production above a certain point punishable by jail time.

2. Drop voting age requirements and require informed voter tests for registration. If a seven year old understands current politics, they can vote. If a forty year old doesn’t, they can’t.

3. Ban book censorship and laws that restrict what can be taught in schools. Students learn about racial discrimination, LGBTQ+ subjects, etc. Learning is not illegal.

4. Fully finance a mass migration to urban areas and build lots of skyscrapers. Make everyone live in big cities and re-wild the other land. You can camp in some areas, but no development.

5. Abolish the death penalty everywhere. Our justice system is not good enough to convict someone as 100% guilty. I don’t want to take the chance someone innocent could be killed.

6. Amend the right of freedom of religion to say you can only follow your religious commandments if it does not hurt anyone else, either physically or mentally. No religious exemptions for vaccines. You can’t use religion as an excuse to hurt LGBTQ+ people. No religious groups creating barriers to abortion.

7. All medications and medical procedures are free. Doctors are paid by the government.

8. Everything is switched to a circular economy. Waste is used to make new products. The production of new raw materials is greatly reduced.

9. A program is created to help anyone get a job regardless of disability, neurodivergency, social background, etc. You cannot be fired from that job unless your employer has a clear reason vetted by a government agency.

10. Change the national animal to a dragon. Redesign the flag. Keep redesigning in every weekend when I get bored.

1 hour ago, Gloomy said:

I’d move to the countryside and tell the citizenry “Figure it out, leave me alone”. Yeah, I’d be a pretty hands-off dictator.

As GTA Vice City's Pastor Richards says "There will be ANARCHY!!!!!"

• Like 1
Blue eyes white dragon

1 fix all the horrible problems

2 buy goats

3 burn p*dos and abusers and r*pists

4 take over the world

5 cause harmless chaos

• Like 3

Not ordered by priority but by when they occurred to me.

1. Nationalize all industries and institutions

2. Promote workers' rights

3. Coordinate with racially marginalized communities to work out political and economic plans to ensure their well-being and liberation

4. Dissolve the current criminal justice system and replace it with locally- and community-based alternatives

5. Abolish the bourgeois class through whatever means necessary

6. Implement policies that combat climate change

7. Promote the rights of women, children, and families

8. Bring a swift end to all institutions that support American imperialism

9. Create safeguards and spaces for the homeless, disabled, and addicted

10. Completely overhaul the existing educational system

brbdogsonfire

1. Dissappear my political opponents 

2. Bribe powerful individuals

3. Purge unloyal military officers

4. Blame an undeserving minority for the troubles

5. Install loyal judges for illusion of legitimacy

6. Round up a minor group of "rebels" doesn't matter if they were actually rebels

7. invade neighboring weak country for supporting the "rebels" 

8. Give large swaths of this weak countries lands to powerful military officers for continued loyalty.

9. Increase taxes on the poor while cutting them on the rich.

10. After several years step down as president and into a role as prime minister while transferring all authority to the prime Minister. 

That's pretty much a realistic list unfortunately. 

Invest in better energy technology, including solar, nuclear, fusion - to make fossil fuels obsolete

Serious effort on colonization of space.

Reduce the US prison population to a percentage that matches that of other developed countries (we have the highest percentage of people in prison in the world).  Elimiate private prison industry - I don't want anyone profiting from having more prisoners.

Make healthcare universal, but reduce costs by limiting end of life care.

Encourage trade schools on an equal level with college.

Major revamping of policing -  including dividing into community cops who are unarmed and then armed teams they can call in if they fail to control the situation. combine this with strict restrictions on private firearm ownership.

Us foreign policy to only support countries that support our ideas of freedom and equality. The cold war is over, we don't need to support or defend countries that mistreat large parts of their population.

Much stronger free speech laws that prevent retaliation against legal free speech, no matter how much people dislike that speech.

Economics and homelessness are complex those need real study, not knee-jerk reactions. I don't know the best soulution.

J. van Deijck
6 hours ago, Lady Telecaster said:

Same here. I can't deal with myself sometimes, let alone with others.

• Like 3

I'd prolly kickstart a new kind of leadership in Finland and then resign. More steps:

1. Create a taskforce out of most capable and selfless experts of varying fields. Their job is to find best solutions to the set goals later in this list. They'd basically become the leaders of the country. An important characteristic to these people is a genuine will to improve the country and co-operate with the other taskforce members, second biggest thing is intelligence and wisdom to make decisions and see the big picture. Democracy would be important among this expert group, and measures are taken to prevent unfit people staying in power for too long or forming cliques.

2. Set a training course that each politician or person in the taskforce must undergo before they are allowed to make decisions. The training course would include living on a minimum wage for a month, seeing people in the worst positions of the society, lectures on impacts of different industries on environment, etc. The idea is to weed out the will to use the political power for one's own benefit.

3. Formulate more precise goals for the aforementioned taskforce, including themes of sustainability, welfare of all people (especially those in the poorest circumstances), creating an ideal combination of support network while maintaining people's individuality etc. The most important things are adding overall happiness and minimizing unneeded suffering, and the least important things are upholding traditions (unless they really bring happiness) and anyone's pride above basic human decency.

4. Grim punishments to ward off corruption and by-passing law using money.

5. Nationally bringing down emissions and promoting more sustainable lifestyles. This would include things like revamping energy production and promoting second-hand shopping to make it into a new norm. Here in the cold north, we should also improve our buildings to be more energy-efficient.

6. Mandatory life-coaching for all young adults (especially those who recently moved out of their guardians' place). This would include therapy sessions to scout out any traumas and disorders left from their childhood and family history, and those in need would be re-directed to more in-depth therapy.

7. Additionally, the aforementioned life-coaching would be integrated with the Finnish military service; currently, Finnish military service is mandatory to all men (women can volunteer), unless they opt to attend civil service instead. Instead of men only, the service would expanded to all genders and offer non-militant options for crisis situation training, such as first-aid, looking for lost people, or survival skills. 

8. Monitoring all citizens and keeping track on what's with them. If someone drops out of the system for example by becoming homeless, the help should swoop in immediately. Stigma for getting help should be abolished.

9. The same laws should apply to school bullying than actions outside schools. Shove someone into asphalt? Assault! Publish embarrassing material about a classmate online? Tarnishing fame! (There can be adjusting regarding to a kid's maturity level, such as toddlers not fully comprehending that toppling another toddler over actually hurts them badly. But teens and up definitely should understand these things.)

10. Strongly educating people to be read media critically, thinking independently, and seeing the big pictures.
  • Like 1
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

1. Geopolitical reform. We'd pull all military assets back from overseas and close our embassies in many countries. Simultaneous policies shift towards minimal intervention, armed neutrality, and overwhelming military superiority would be enacted. If someone would raise a hand to strike us, we would take off their hand. If they'd then raise the other hand, we'd take their head.

2. Universal conscription. All citizens of able body and sound mind would serve the state for two years either in the military, in the emergency services, working on state run projects, or in government run factories. Certain rights would be contingent upon this service, but it would be compensated well both financially and otherwise. In times of need a call would go out for folks to return to their duties for the state unless they are too old.

3. Pushing for electric vehicles. Ending dependence on foreign oil would solve economic and security concerns.

4. Citizenship reform. Non-citizens would be permitted and encouraged to live here, but citizenship would be contingent on accepting a bundle of rights and responsibilities including the aforementioned conscription. Citizenship would no longer be automatically granted by birth, although nationality would remain so. Exemptions would of course be made for folks who are unable to do so. Non-citizens would be exempt from service to the state except as punishment for high level crimes following due process, ineligible to hold elected offices, exempt from certain taxes, and barred from social safety net programs. 

5. Urban renewal. Our cities would be the focus of a massive campaign to rebuild or refurbish our nation. Safe and secure housing as well as localized core services would be a focus of the initiative.

6. Infrastructure expansion. We would undertake a massive program of building roads, bridges, ports, airports, water treatment plants, and electrical service stations. Our nation's aging infrastructure is a threat to safety, livelihood, and national security.

7. Immigration reform. We would open our borders to migrants whether they wish to stay or merely to work day by day. A more direct path to becoming a national or a citizen would be established, and alternatives would exist like our current work visas. Legal immigration would be made easier and faster, but illegal immigration would be dealt with harshly after an amnesty period. We will not deport anyone residing here illegally without a criminal background, but we will levy taxes against them and seize their assets to pay their debt off. 

8. Secularization of the nation. We will build the wall between church and state, and we will make the church pay for it. Churches will no longer be tax exempt and will be treated as any other business. Religious groups that wish to engage in charity work will remain free to do so, but all will be forced to abide by anti-discrimination ordinances or lose tax exempt status and any government funding.

9. Prison reform. Prisons would be reserved for physically or sexually violent offenders only, the rest would be put on house arrest or probation for the duration of their sentence. We would close many prisons and end privately run facilities.

10. Criminal code reform. Victimless crimes would be struck from the record. Drugs and prostitution would be legalized. Most low level crimes would be turned into infractions, followed by either a fine levied as a percentage tax on income or community service. Property crimes such as theft, vandalism, or destruction of property would be punished monetarily or with community service. Violent or sexual crimes would be the only imprisonable offences, and even then we wouldn't necessarily always imprison someone for them. 

Anomaly Q3Xr
1 hour ago, Lilibulero said:

If I were a dictator, I'd expect everybody to keep up as they typed.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

I wouldn't know how to keep everything narrowed to single sentance margins. Complex topics.

1. Begin efforts at adapting the country into susastainable resources and being as independant as possible. This includes a lot of things. Reducing or outright removing reliance on exports and imports from other countries, focusing on available resources within the country, shifting power usage either to as clean as could get or as sustainable as possible, working on the infastructure for factories and distributors to provide within the country.

2. Remove the usage of financial currency within the country and instate a time based system instead,(work a certain number of hours and you get access to anything within the country so long as it's there) or alternately keep currency but heavily regulate it in a 50/50 manner. Basic life essentials are free (House, food, locomotion, water), commodoties and extras still cost money.

3. Reduce job hours. Four hours being the maximum you need, with the possibility of working extra, but only if a person wants to. In the case of somebody who "needs" to work more than four, compensation will match the workload. These three changes should outright get me assassinated, and if they don't, it would drive most corporations out of the country due to collapsing profit margins, which is what's wanted, hopefully met with success from establishing more self reliance in the country but with lighter workloads.

4. Legalize most things, primarily drugs.

5. Modify the medical and healthcare system. Medication is free or low cost. Changes to doctor education and pharma based motives are removed. It's an effort to define how we treat illness, how we act and think about it, and promote healthier lifestyles and treatments if possible. Focus on creation of more rehab centers and care centers for those who need it.

6. Modify education. Better teaching standards, more precise teaching standards based on individual's learning behaviors and methods. Enrollment in any type of education is free, access to information is free.

7. Begin focus on research and development in most sectors of technology and fields of knowledge.

8. Focus on infastructure. Both current failing infastructure, and planning how future expansions will be done in the most efficient, yet pleasing ways possible. A balance between efficiency and beauty. (No soviet era eyesores)

9. Tighten yet broaden immigration and border stances.

10. Rebalance government circles and create new spheres responsible for governing new sectors and things. Pretty much, write the plan for how the government functions when I'm gone and done, and make it as bulletproof to corruption and abuse as possible so that decent changes made during my reign stay.

11. Die.

• Like 1

1) Utilize the full might of the US government to take over the rest of the world. Making a global power without borders or nations. Eliminates fascism, inequality in trade deals, and fully supports the further ideas. After all, you can't get much done if no one else is on board.

2) Review all current data on socialized programs in the entire world. Everyone who wants them has earnings put within a range of $40,000-60,000 per year. This would include universal medicine, housing, food, education, and more. Essentially the 40-60k per year is luxury, I'm not sure what would determine the range yet but something would bubble up.

3) Establish a completely laissez faire economic structure where there's no limits, no protections, no safety nets, that someone can opt into and attempt to earn. But since all the important stuff is protected and people have limited funds, and there's no corrupt government (since I am the government) they are essentially playing a game of footsies with other people who want to do so and absorb the risk for possibilities of extreme wealth.

4) Public transit gains people pods, it's all electric / biodiesel type stuff, automated transports for small groups. They only show up when people press a button or some other way signify, they are waiting at various stops. Privately owned vehicle transportation is removed as a possibility (illegal).

5) All vehicular transportation is moved underground over time, leaving all above ground available for safe, free walking, and allowed to be reclaimed by bicycles and green spaces as well.

6) Green roofs, combinations of multiple power supply methods, and other minimally impactful environmental changes are put into place as requirements for all buildings, businesses and residential power supply lines.

7) Schools are no longer compulsory, but teachers from the top 10% of their fields are available and do teach lessons at public schools. It's just now voluntary to go, learn what you want, leave. As you see fit and move up as you think you are ready in learning instead of by structure/approval.

8 ) The government is required to be transparent and open about decisions. National security risks have a time limit and once that time limit is over, they become fully open (usually time limit would be as long as the engagement or military need + I think it's like 60 days, but may be as long as 90 where things still remain sensitive and usefully so). 

9) All political figures are subject to full investigations of expenditures at any time. Decisions must be transparent (except as above) and any avoidance of this removes that person from power immediately. Yes, even though I'm a dictator I'm putting in an honesty clause.

10) Many things become more broadly legal. Drugs, offensive language, religion, sexuality, etc. And punishments have maximum sentencing (no minimums) and they'll be based upon likelihood of committing the crime again. For a lot of crimes that's 2 or 4 years, for many violent crimes it's 8 years. And then a person if fully integrated back into regular society. Those years may change based upon data after implementing the change.

• Like 1