Favorite nursery rhymes?

Calliers

Like the title says. I'll start. ^_^

Edit: obviously these are from what you remember growing up as a kid (and, in the case of Baby Shark, ones that just went viral for no particular reason other than they were catchy lol)!

• Like 1

This isn't a memory from childhood, but I love "Baby Shark".  Back when my bipolar support group was at it's height (in terms of fun), we all went to IHOP after our meeting one night.  Everyone was eating and Joseph and I were singing "Baby Shark".  I remember our friend Mark giving us a really funny look.  It was awesome.

• Like 1

fine_lady.jpg

Ride a cock horse

To Banbury Cross

To see a fine lady

Ride on a white horse

With rings on her fingers

And bells on her toes

She shall have music

Wherever she goes.

I can remember my dad bouncing me on his knee singing it - as I did with both my sons and my grand daughter. 😆

It's supposed to relate to a visit to the town by Queen Elizabeth I, Warmington Hill is extremely steep, and farmers used to earn extra money by hiring out their horses to add to the normal team (cock horses) to help pull carriages/wagons up the hill. According to legend she was so impatient, she took, and rode one into town. Banbury Cross was the site of a 'Sanctuary Cross'

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

You won't know them because they're not in English, but I can at least describe a funny nursery (or rather kindergarten)-rhyme-related situation.

Wanda Chotomska was a children's writer, quite popular in my childhood. There was a funny poem by her, "If tigers ate toffees", and at the age of five or six I was already a dedicated tigermaniac (it began with my first plush tiger when I was two years old). Except... it was the pre-internet age - 1980s - so all I knew of this poem was the title. So I... wrote out own version with a friend. It prominently featured the phrase "gastric distress" because I had just learned it. :lol:

The title, actually, can be translated either as "If tigers ate toffees" (and this is what the author meant) or "If tigers ate irises" - "Iris" was a brand of toffees. This is needed as an introduction to an extra detail. We moved to my current apartment when I was five years old, I continued going to the same kindergarten because I refused to switch, and then I went to a school which can be seen from my window. (During all elections, the electoral committee for my area is also in that school's building.) It's a model typical for the area - grades 1-3 only, to separate the smallest children from older ones which can be bothersome or, in extreme cases, even dangerous to them - and next to it there is also a kindergarten. Later, already in my adulthood, the kindergarten received a patron - the very same Wanda Chotomska. And a few years ago a lovely mural was painted, which interprets the title of that poem of hers in the other way:

cloud-3.jpg

But I also know a thing or two about English nursery rhymes, although I actually don't know the ones you mentioned. But in my later childhood, I played the educational game "Mixed-Up Mother Goose", where you just need to bring items to characters from the Mother Goose rhymes, and as a reward you get to hear the songs. Here are examples of its three versions in more primitive EGA (16 colours), more sophisticated EGA (the first version I played) and VGA (256 colours):

126703-mixed-up-mother-goose-dos-screens602682-mixed-up-mother-goose-dos-screensscummvm004.png

My favourite was probably "Banbury Cross"... for reasons which are best explained in a diary entry written approximately 25 years after having first played this game (1992-2017):

Fine lady arrives nobody knows where from and leaves nobody knows where to, she APPEARS for a moment like a goddess, equipped, in any case, with attributes such as a white horse and reverberating music (although on the visual level - in the game itself - she is rather shown like a stereotypical fairytale princess), in a meaningful (totopotent) place of crossroads. Maybe something of the mysterious status of this lady has come off the context and, not even recognised in its source, was washed ashore in my idea of the "psychedelic woman" (....).

• Like 1

This one isn't from my childhood, but it is one of my favorite songs that kinda went viral lol, Dr. Jean is such a darling lol. :)

And this one is from my childhood:

• Like 1

I always loved the one where the blackbirds get cooked alive in the pie then they steal the maid's nose lol (Sing a Song of Sixpence). I heard a murder-mystery on BBC radio when i was a kid where the killer was using stuff from the song as an MO and ever since then I was obsessed with it 

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened
The birds began to sing—
Wasn't that a dainty dish
To set before the king?
The king was in the counting-house
Counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlor
Eating bread and honey,
The maid was in the garden
Hanging out the clothes.
Along came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose.

Blue eyes white dragon

London bridge is falling down, but that is because I visited it at lake havasu in arizona   

• Like 1
Blueberry Pie

Ring Around the Rosie, maybe

https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2014/07/ring-around-the-rosie-metafolklore-rhyme-and-reason/

Edit:

Oh, actually, Miss Mary Mack instead. I used to do that a lot when I was in elementary school: https://allnurseryrhymes.com/miss-mary-mack/

• Like 1

Some of my favorite Sesame Street songs:

• Like 2
Milque Toast

@Calliers I don't wanna live on the moon... that one brings back memories. That song is really sweet and I still listen to it from time to time !

here are some german ones I remember fondly from my childhood:

this one included a game, where I sat on my mum/dad's lap, and bounce (as the reiter - rider), and when he goes "plumps", you drop down on the floor. did that one endless times

(this one is very well known in germany)

and, this one isn't a well known nursery rhyme, but a song I really liked from this game I used to play on my mum's ancient laptop.

Even now, I think I still really like the song

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Milque Toast said:

@Calliers I don't wanna live on the moon... that one brings back memories. That song is really sweet and I still listen to it from time to time !

here are some german ones I remember fondly from my childhood:

this one included a game, where I sat on my mum/dad's lap, and bounce (as the reiter - rider), and when he goes "plumps", you drop down on the floor. did that one endless times

(this one is very well known in germany)

and, this one isn't a well known nursery rhyme, but a song I really liked from this game I used to play on my mum's ancient laptop.

Even now, I think I still really like the song

Yes @Milque Toast, I don't want to live on the moon brings back great memories to me as well, and I am glad it does for you too. ^_^

The whole point of the thread is so that we can revisit that special time when we were just all innocent as can be.... and everything was new and wonderful.

Used to enjoy this number song from Sesame Street as well and sing along:

• Like 2

Do Sunday School songs count, I loved this one!

• Like 1
Boondocks Paradox

Never grew up with children's music (was exposed more into 80's music, and still love it) but if there's a song I simultaneously love and hate:

I find this a a perfect song to troll someone on an endless loop. 😂

• Like 1

In the USSR, there was a children's program "Спокойной ночи, малыши" (Good Night, kids) on TV in the evening, including one cartoon. Every child wanted to watch it before going to bed. At the beginning of the program, this lullaby was played.

• Like 1

I know this one was common but I absolutely adored it!

Humpty dumpty was good:

Another popular one I liked:

Five little ducks lol, this one I rather enjoyed:

Jack and Jill, this one there are so many versions of:

• Like 1